FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Xiamen XMN turnaround procedures
View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:08 am
SLGO

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Technically, yes. But, I would not plan on it always succeeding.

Last year, I had about half a dozen trips to XMN where I just needed to sign some papers at the airport, and then turnaround back to HKG on the same day. So, I would book the outbound HKG-XMN on KA 618 (ETA 11:00) and then the turnaround on KA 603 (ETD 15:05). This is NOT a same-plane return.

Twice, I had the good luck that KA 618 arrived early, and I was able to go through immigration and customs, sign my docs, and then head back to the departure hall when the counters were not closed yet for the KA 619 XMN-HKG (ETD 12:05) service. KA 619 is the same-plane turnaround for KA 618. I think the check in for KA 619 closes at 11:20 or 11:25. I would then ask the check-in staff whether I could switch my flight from KA 603 to the earlier KA 619. Since my tickets were always rebookable without fee, the check-in staff would let me do it. One time, I even got upgraded to J (I am MPC Diamond).
Thanks for sharing your experience. Would it be possible NOT to go through immigration and custom and do the same-plane return? I wonder if it is possible to have the boarding pass issues during check in in HKG.