Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dine on Demand Trial in J class coming in May 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Trial flights:
May 1 to May 31 - CX343/344 (HKG-LGW)
June 1 to June 30 - CX806/CX807 (HKG-ORD)

Media coverage:
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2078183/cathay-pacific-trial-demand-catering-long-haul-flights
https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific-to-trial-dine-on-demand-meals-in-business-class
Print Wikipost

Dine on Demand Trial in J class coming in May 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: CX DM, A3 Gold
Flown with both QR and JL, I also think this menu is rather confusing. I don't really see what is an individual item or what is a set at first, I was also thinking if I could mix and match with everything. Maybe they could provide an extra sheet on "how to read the manual"? Everything with similar font and size on the same page are not helping.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:05 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by watery
Maybe like this?
Code:
eggs -or- haddock -complemented with- pain... parfait... fruit...
Thought about it but their description is too waffly - needs pruning
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see what you did there.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:55 pm

So this is their third "trial" on a new service concept in business class.

They tried something for a month or two last year that apparently didn't work too well for them.

Now it's a month on this route, a month on that route, let's keep testing it over and over.

When will they ever just get themselves SORTED and get a decent meal service going? The other airlines in the region put them in the shade when it comes to meals and this has been going on for years.

Their current business class meal offerings are a disgrace.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
So this is their third "trial" on a new service concept in business class.

They tried something for a month or two last year that apparently didn't work too well for them.

Now it's a month on this route, a month on that route, let's keep testing it over and over.

When will they ever just get themselves SORTED and get a decent meal service going? The other airlines in the region put them in the shade when it comes to meals and this has been going on for years.

Their current business class meal offerings are a disgrace.

To be honest, it's better than no change at all though.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by bart simpson
To be honest, it's better than no change at all though.
I disagree. For the 1:11 staffing levels the old service is the best they can do. Current service makes me more likely to go hungry.

But frankly, I don't mind them serving everything in one tray, but I may be in the minority here.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by percysmith
I disagree. For the 1:11 staffing levels the old service is the best they can do. Current service makes me more likely to go hungry.

But frankly, I don't mind them serving everything in one tray, but I may be in the minority here.
But trials mean they might revert back to normal if things don't work right, at least they paid an effort in providing better catering?

I don't mind everything in one tray if they get rid of the berries dip and probably better plating of main course.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by bart simpson
But trials mean they might revert back to normal if things don't work right, at least they paid an effort in providing better catering?
Actually the food part may be considered improved. If only they just implemented that consistently across all services and kept the old service.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:43 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
June 2017 "The Journey":

THE SECOND PHASE of the new
Business Class service trial is
underway. Following the monthlong
trial on the London Gatwick
route on an Airbus A350 night
service, the focus has changed
to daytime departures to Chicago
on a Boeing 777, which involves a
different customer demographic.
This offers the opportunity to
gather more data and see what is
working well, along with the areas
for improvement.
Anecdotal feedback from
passengers so far has been
generally positive, with a wider
range of menu items, improved
food quality, the personalised
level of service and the mattress
attracting plaudits, but some areas
for improvement have also been
identified.
GM Inflight Service Ed Higgs
said: “We’re gathering a wealth of
data and feedback from the crew.
It’s dynamic, but over time we will
start to recognise patterns and
preferences, and this will make
us better prepared about how we
deliver the service.”
Ed added: “Long waiting times
have been an area that we need to
focus on, so we have adjusted some
of the menu items and simplified
the service to see if that would
reduce some of the service time.
We are listening and we are making
changes so that the new service
can be consistently delivered to all
our Business Class passengers.”
Dilecta Clarke is an ISM in the
Pioneer Group who volunteered to
be amongst the first to deliver the
new service.
“It gives us the opportunity to
have precious, short moments with
our passengers and get to know
what their needs are,” said Dilecta.
“I did find it challenging to
reorganise the ovens and the
food. This is new, so we need to
become familiar with the catering
equipment, the food, the dishes
and when we need to heat them.
We need to figure out how we
can work more efficiently to look
after ourselves, as well as the
passengers.”
Ed said: “Our heartfelt thanks
to the Pioneer Group who are
not only already delighting our
customers with the new service
but also providing invaluable
feedback to the project team.”
OUR CUSTOMERS SAID:
“I wanted to thank you for the mattress option on my
flight. As much as I love Cathay Pacific I have found the
Business Class seats to be somewhat uncomfortable
and never get more than two or three hours’ sleep.
Adding the mattress made all the difference.”
“The seat was good and I don’t recall if you previously
had a mattress as well as a blanket in business but it
certainly felt quite luxurious. It does take notably longer
to serve the food versus the previous format.”
“It was immediately obvious the crew felt under
pressure with so many different meal requests to deal
with each with different delivery times. As a result,
the speed of serving drinks and the main meal was
significantly slower than the old service. “
“I believe the mattress and the presentation of the food
are really good improvements to the current business
class service. However, the meal service should be
faster so it doesn’t cut into rest time.”
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Just a data point did HKG to ORD in F no impact on service or food options when menu was shared
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:20 pm

I would rather have better actual FOOD than an on-demand service.
The current quality and presentation leave much to be desired, especially with the mains - they look straight from economy class.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
i thought the BA forum was hostile to all things BA, and in that case with a lot of justification, but I find the negative comments here difficult to understand.
CX has an excellent hard and soft product in J class and it is trying to improve upon that. In my experience with the trial the bedding was better as was the aperitif, champagne, personal service and menu choice.i did not notice a service delay.

What I have read here is that the service is slow and confusing, the latter being easy to remedy which may in turn help with the former. I think the adage that familiarity breeds contempt is true here. CXis very very good and is improving. Spend a few overnights on BA and all will be forgiven.😆
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by Nuster
i thought the BA forum was hostile to all things BA, and in that case with a lot of justification, but I find the negative comments here difficult to understand.
There is a saying in Chinese that goes, 愛之心責之切...or something like 'love well, whip well'...

CXis very very good and is improving. Spend a few overnights on BA and all will be forgiven.��
Yeah I'm crazy about CX. But can we compare with ME3 or SIA or JAL before BA

And the biggest issue is the lack of manpower. unfortunately, the formal roll out of the 'new service' will be adjusted to fit the current crew pax ratio, rather than the other way round. Not saying its a bad thing if ultimately a win-win-win situation can be achieved including reduced catering costs, streamlined and improved meal service and happier pax/(crew?). After all not everyone is in their J seat to eat every item and essentially 'maximize' their bucks' worth. ultimately, it's not going to be fancy like QR or the original 'intention' presented here in the current trial.

After experiencing this new service, communicating with the crew and CX office people afterwards, it's become rather clear to me that the new service is geared with cost cutting in mind (albeit in a smart way if properly executed)... In fact, the modified official roll out is most likely going to be like how JAL does it. (One 'fixed' main meal, the rest on demand. But while the 'main meal' will look fancier, it's actually less substantial than the current 'first main meal' where you see SP and trolley roll through for like 5 times plus bread basket and coffee/tea.)

Last edited by G-CIVC; Jun 25, 2017 at 9:10 am
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Interesting to hear they might be offering mattresses in J in the future?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
HERE is the way Cathay should be looking at F&B service. Handheld device to enter/process orders... or program it into the infotainment system.

I imagine THIS would solve so many problems. At a minimum, it would reduce BY HALF the number of trips each FA would need to make because now (most) PAX will push the call button and the FA will need to walk to the seat. They then walk back, retrieve whatever was requested, and then return to fulfill the request.

http://www.airlinetrends.com/2017/04...usiness-class/

APRIL 2017 | Staff taking drink and meal orders using a digital device is a common thing in bars and restaurants around the world. Meanwhile, casual dining restaurant chains and airport F&B operators now let customers place their orders themselves, either via a tablet provided by the restaurant or via an app on their own smartphone.Now the airline industry is taking its first steps in this digitally-enabled F&B service. Besides the handful or airlines – including Air New Zealand, Japan Airlines, FlyDubai and Virgin America – that allow passengers to place orders via the in-seat IFE system, Emirates has recently issued so-called ‘Meal Ordering Devices’ to all its flight attendants who work in Business Class.Meal Ordering Device (MOD)

Cabin crew recruitment portal PaddleYourOwnKanoo reports that the MOD smartphones connect to a plug-and-play WiFi router which is separate from the onboard connectivity system that passengers use.All the smartphones (Samsung Galaxy A7) are synced to communicate with one another for the duration of the flight, don’t have a SIM card, and have been blocked from running any applications apart from the bespoke Meal Ordering app.“The orders are taken on a hand held device and are instantly reflected on a tablet in the galley. Each order is then prepared immediately making service faster, more efficient and more personal,” said Terry Daly, Divisional Senior Vice President, Service Delivery at Emirates.As Australian Business Traveller rightly puts it: “With as many as 76 business class passengers on an Emirates A380, the technology is proving to be a significant time-saver in keeping those premium passengers feed and watered – as well as ensuring what they’re served is precisely what they ordered, without slip-ups.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.