Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Whats happening to Cathay Business Class FAres

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver

I was flicking thru Sky Scanner and saw that you can get a Business Class fare from LHR to HKG in october for about £1,682 - and this is via Cathay themselves. Some consolidators are offering a fare of under £1,600
Now as the 'normal' Business Class fare in CX is in excess of £3,000 I am astonished (and not a little p'eed' off that I have booked a Business Class seat on a rival airline at £1800 plus)
Old May 13, 2016, 1:21 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by steveben53
I was flicking thru Sky Scanner and saw that you can get a Business Class fare from LHR to HKG in october for about £1,682 - and this is via Cathay themselves. Some consolidators are offering a fare of under £1,600
Now as the 'normal' Business Class fare in CX is in excess of £3,000 I am astonished (and not a little p'eed' off that I have booked a Business Class seat on a rival airline at £1800 plus)
Crazy competition going on, even virgin is getting in on the action.
Old May 13, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I looked at J from syd to Hong Kong return. Cathay was AUD$2000 dearer than SQ. Stopping in SIN is no hardship
Old May 13, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I hope they offer such low fares on the USA routes.
Old May 13, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I hope they offer such low fares on the USA routes.
Search fares from YVR and you'll get close; then just book a separate itinerary from your home airport to YVR.
Old May 13, 2016, 11:36 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I looked at J from syd to Hong Kong return. Cathay was AUD$2000 dearer than SQ. Stopping in SIN is no hardship
Not really a valid comparison as there is always a premium to be paid for travelling non-stop versus 1 stop.
Old May 14, 2016, 6:15 am

BA is having a big sale ex-LHR at the moment. CX have to respond.
Old May 14, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG GO
This kind of flash sale is not unheard of. There was one last year ex-LHR as well.
Old May 14, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I have just taken advantage of one of these fares from Manchester - fantastic!!!

Yes BA and Singapore out of the UK offering excellent fares. Not sure why Qatar are pricing themselves out in business as usually competitive
Old May 14, 2016, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
So the question now is - Emirates business class on an A380 or Cathay Business Class on a 777. I am not really concerned about the Emirates flight not being direct - i quite enjoy the mid flight break, so that does not need to be a factor in the decision.

I like the privacy that you get with the staggered seating on the Emirates A380 and I like the onboard bar as well. I have never experienced Cathay's Business Class offering and when I take into account the saving that is made with the chauffeur service the price differential is not that big.

So of the two which would you go for ?
Old May 14, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: QF
I like the privacy that you get with the staggered seating on the Emirates A380 and I like the onboard bar as well. I have never experienced Cathay's Business Class offering and when I take into account the saving that is made with the chauffeur service the price differential is not that big.

Without a doubt I would fly Emirates.
Old May 14, 2016, 10:06 pm

So the question now is - Emirates business class on an A380 or Cathay Business Class on a 777. I am not really concerned about the Emirates flight not being direct - i quite enjoy the mid flight break, so that does not need to be a factor in the decision.

If its LHR-HKG and there is no price difference you'd be mad to take a connection imo.

CX is a better and more consistent product anyway. I don't like the dormitory feel of EK's A380s and the cabins are tacky.
Old May 15, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I've always been a big Emirates fan, have flown with them quite a lot over many years and they have treated me well.

However ...... I end up paying for F class on EK long hauls because I'm not too keen on either their A380 J product (too many seats, and reported slow meal service issues) or their 777 (undesirable config for a solo traveller).

For my most recent group of flights (out & back ... UK to NZ, Oz, Asia) I went for Cathay in J and was very pleased with what I got. Excellent 1-2-1 config with very spacious lie-flats and good onboard service. The lack of a bar and CD service isn't really much of an issue when you get a better fare and (IMHO) better seating.
Old May 15, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: BA GOLD, SPG Platinum

The seating on the cx flight is more comfortable on my opinion. The service as well as the finer touches make me lean towards cx. Emirates does have a far superior entertainment system but I would go for the comfort and service of cx over ek. Plus cx is one world
Old May 16, 2016, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I can get it for around £1200... (Ex-EU, but transitting through LHR though)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.