Wiki Posts
Search

Do CX check credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Thanks for the replies!

From what I gather here, credit card can be requested if ticket was booked on cx.com; however, if an award ticket was issued via a partner airline or a revenue ticket is booked via a 3rd party website, cx never request proof of credit card?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
If you book online through CX.com and pass Verified by Visa / Safekey, your CC won't be checked. However if a direct phone booking was made, a CC check would be needed either at the regional office or checkin. OTAs that bear the liability also don't trigger checks.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Enhancements
If you book online through CX.com and pass Verified by Visa / Safekey, your CC won't be checked.
I have found this Safekey / one time PIN thingy to be inconsistent. I receive it on some cards, and not on others, during the booking process. A bit of trial and error, depending on the card issuer.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I have found this Safekey / one time PIN thingy to be inconsistent. I receive it on some cards, and not on others, during the booking process. A bit of trial and error, depending on the card issuer.
Slightly OT, but that's right- it depends on the issuer if they've enabled it (and whether that happens again depends on user opt-in and regional regulations)
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
Originally Posted by dunflyer
I was once told by their GCC staff that the verification is exempted for travellers that are SL/above.
I was told the same thing by the MPC agent last week.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 3:44 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Last week I booked two tickets for my mum and dad on the hotline but no one reminded me to verify my credit card for them before their departure....

p.s. ok so did my parents get checked? I remembered this checking stuff and I flew one day earlier so I walked from aisle B to H just to clear the credit card check for them before I left HK... So... Don't know
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
They may also ask for card if you call to book and you don't have status (SL or above).
Old Apr 2, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by hightide
Do CX check credit card in the following circumstances if the cardholder is not travelling with the passenger?
1. For the taxes paid on award ticket issued by a partner airline
2. Tickets purchased via an online travel agency (cheaptickets, orbitz, expedia etc)
3. Tickets purchased directly at Cathay's official website
I don't have experience on 1 & 2 for CX flights. For 3, my experience was mixed:
- When I paid for someone else, I stopped by the MPC counter at the airport to present my CC. They said I didn't need to show CC the first occasion, but they did check my CC the second time. The agent said it varied by tickets, but I couldn't tell if that would be needed.
- I never need to show my CC when I travel, but that may be because I am a MPC member.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 4:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
for (2) 100% will not check because if there is a chargeback, it is not going to be between CX, but between the pax and the ota
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:21 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
At HOK: couple in front of us were asked for their credit cards "for booking...Visa card ending number 3"
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Credit card used to pay

My sister purchased my air tickets and it says

The physical credit card used to pay for tickets must be presented by the cardholder for verification at check-in, or at a Cathay Pacific Ticketing Office prior to flight departure. The carrier reserves the right to deny boarding, or collect a guarantee payment, should the cardholder fail to present the physical card originally used for booking.

Will they really ask me to show the physical credit card at LAX???
If that's true, I will be in trouble because my sister is in Hiroshima, Japan, and I won't be able to show her credit card at LAX.
What should I do?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Yes you may be asked to show your card. Are you a Cathay Frequent flyer? Usually if a member of marco polo and frequent flier, they tend not to ask. I have been asked for this on one airline in Asia (I don't think it was Cathay, they rarely ask me because I am Diamond) and in the end I had to sign a form saying that if the payment did not go through, I was liable and they took another credit card number. But I would ring Cathay customer services and ask if I were you. They may be able to do something.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by fairhsa
Yes you may be asked to show your card. Are you a Cathay Frequent flyer? Usually if a member of marco polo and frequent flier, they tend not to ask. I have been asked for this on one airline in Asia (I don't think it was Cathay, they rarely ask me because I am Diamond) and in the end I had to sign a form saying that if the payment did not go through, I was liable and they took another credit card number. But I would ring Cathay customer services and ask if I were you. They may be able to do something.
No, I'm an AA flyer (Executive Platinum, OneWorld Emerald).
Thank you for your advice ^
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:45 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Will she be going to an airport with a Cathay Pacific desk before you depart? If so she can go there and present the card.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Will she be going to an airport with a Cathay Pacific desk before you depart? If so she can go there and present the card.
Nope... My final destination is Fukuoka and then I will take a Shinkansen (Bullet Train) to Hiroshima where she lives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.