Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Red light and the beep… but no op-up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt

Recently I've been passing through the gate and then I get the red light and the beep. Then I see the agent tapping something on the computer, and rip my board pass along the perforated section.

Expecting a new boarding pass with an upgrade, they give me back my original boarding pass (but they keep half of it).

Anyone know what's up with that?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:33 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Probably some sort of check?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:21 am

Had that happened to me a couple of times. Once in LAX they were testing a "new system", red light up, agent called supervisor over, supervisor typed something into computer, and actually apologized: "sorry, no op-up, just a false alarm with the new system"

Second time in HKG, they rearranged my seat to the other side of the plane, still aisle, apparently a couple wanted to sit together.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:12 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B440 Safari/600.1.4)

That always happens when I OLCI. Maybe they need to check my travel document as I skipped that at the check-in counter.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I had that several times too...
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Me too. Needed to check passport as I was using e-boarding pass.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Actually red light simply means there's something the gate needs to do, change boarding pass (whether due to op-up or whatever) is just one of the reason you don't get a green light...
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Ya Duplicate boarding pass or something simple as scanning the same bp twice.
The second time would cause the red beep
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:37 pm

Often I get the red beep when they need to check I have a valid visa for wherever I am going (I used OLCI, so not done it at check in). I've yet to get a gate upgrade on CX.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: CX DM
I got the red beep once to tell me that my request for a seat block in Y was not successful :@
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Basically red beep means that there is a message that the gate agent must action before letting you in, or that there is a message that they must convey to you before letting you in.

Could be anything, op-up is only one of the possible reasons.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy

Second time in HKG, they rearranged my seat to the other side of the plane, still aisle, apparently a couple wanted to sit together.
I would have caused a fuss cos they moved a DM without properly asking you about it first !
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I would have caused a fuss cos they moved a DM without properly asking you about it first !
I thought about that, but then again I got virtually the same seat just the other side of the aisle, I'm sure whoever authorized the seat switch thought the same too.

But yes, had I been with my family and got separated then I would of threw a fuss.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by marcuslai
I got the red beep once to tell me that my request for a seat block in Y was not successful :@
That's very nice of them... At least they tell you before boarding... Most of the time I won't know my request failed until someone stood next to me and starring at the seat next to me...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:17 am

Red light definitely can be anything. One time I snatched BN1 on CX884, the red light came up. I also thought it was an opup especially since I had BN1, turns out that it was an extra security screening inside the jet bridge on top of the US-bound secondary check already conducted prior to boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.