FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Red light and the beep… but no op-up? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1637651-red-light-beep-but-no-op-up.html)

alphaod Dec 16, 2014 3:18 am

Red light and the beep… but no op-up?

Recently I've been passing through the gate and then I get the red light and the beep. Then I see the agent tapping something on the computer, and rip my board pass along the perforated section.

Expecting a new boarding pass with an upgrade, they give me back my original boarding pass (but they keep half of it).

Anyone know what's up with that?

kaka Dec 16, 2014 3:33 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Probably some sort of check?

Cathay Boy Dec 16, 2014 4:21 am

Had that happened to me a couple of times. Once in LAX they were testing a "new system", red light up, agent called supervisor over, supervisor typed something into computer, and actually apologized: "sorry, no op-up, just a false alarm with the new system"

Second time in HKG, they rearranged my seat to the other side of the plane, still aisle, apparently a couple wanted to sit together.

newloud Dec 16, 2014 6:12 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B440 Safari/600.1.4)

That always happens when I OLCI. Maybe they need to check my travel document as I skipped that at the check-in counter.

cxfan1960 Dec 16, 2014 6:18 am

I had that several times too...

Psychiatrist Dec 16, 2014 8:55 am

Me too. Needed to check passport as I was using e-boarding pass.

sscywong Dec 16, 2014 10:20 am

Actually red light simply means there's something the gate needs to do, change boarding pass (whether due to op-up or whatever) is just one of the reason you don't get a green light...

Short hair Francis Dec 16, 2014 1:16 pm

Ya Duplicate boarding pass or something simple as scanning the same bp twice.
The second time would cause the red beep

1010101 Dec 16, 2014 7:37 pm

Often I get the red beep when they need to check I have a valid visa for wherever I am going (I used OLCI, so not done it at check in). I've yet to get a gate upgrade on CX.

marcuslai Dec 16, 2014 7:59 pm

I got the red beep once to tell me that my request for a seat block in Y was not successful :@

midlevels Dec 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Basically red beep means that there is a message that the gate agent must action before letting you in, or that there is a message that they must convey to you before letting you in.

Could be anything, op-up is only one of the possible reasons.

Guy Betsy Dec 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy (Post 24004579)

Second time in HKG, they rearranged my seat to the other side of the plane, still aisle, apparently a couple wanted to sit together.

I would have caused a fuss cos they moved a DM without properly asking you about it first !

Cathay Boy Dec 17, 2014 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 24009311)
I would have caused a fuss cos they moved a DM without properly asking you about it first !

I thought about that, but then again I got virtually the same seat just the other side of the aisle, I'm sure whoever authorized the seat switch thought the same too.

But yes, had I been with my family and got separated then I would of threw a fuss.

sscywong Dec 17, 2014 2:27 am

Originally Posted by marcuslai (Post 24009209)
I got the red beep once to tell me that my request for a seat block in Y was not successful :@

That's very nice of them... At least they tell you before boarding... Most of the time I won't know my request failed until someone stood next to me and starring at the seat next to me...

GE90-115B Dec 17, 2014 3:17 am

Red light definitely can be anything. One time I snatched BN1 on CX884, the red light came up. I also thought it was an opup especially since I had BN1, turns out that it was an extra security screening inside the jet bridge on top of the US-bound secondary check already conducted prior to boarding.