Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How do CX's Business Class seats compare to BA's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold

I plan to travel in business class in December from MXP to HKG on CX234.

I have travelled extensively on BA Club World and appreciate that the seats can go nearly completely flat. How do CX seats compare? Do they go flat; nearly flat or stay at a slight incline?

Any relevant information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:12 am

The first time I flew BA in J, it was the first horizontal flat seat I'd ever seen, and the window seats seemed really wonderful. But there is no comparison between BA J and CX J; CX is far better.

BA's aisle seats are completely exposed to the aisle, and quite unpleasant for sleeping. The seats are 8 across, packed like sardines into a head-tail-tail-head arrangement. Some have compared it to a boarding school dormitory. From the 2 middle seats as well as from most of the window seats, you have to step over someone to get out.

On CX, every seat is 'private' (you are well separated from other passengers) and has direct aisle access, and at the same time every seat feels far from the aisle when you're sleeping (unlike BA). It sounds like magic, but works because of the herringbone arrangement. They are just as horizontal-flat as BA seats but have more space. I don't think J seats can be much better than this using the same floor space per seat; AA has chosen the same seat for its new planes.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:48 am

The CX new business class seats are truly best in class. Every seat has aisle access, so if you pick a window seat there's no need to climb over the aisle passenger a la BA CW.

Seats are perfectly flat. They feel far more spacious than BA CW and have significantly more storage space.

But the BA CW seat is softer and feels more 'engulfing' and soothing for lounging or sleeping.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
You will not get as much storage space as 747 (or even A380) UD window CW. They are also less spacious and less quiet (aisle traffic) than these beloved UD window seats.
But they are much nicer than all the other CW seats and great video.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:03 am
Suspended

Moved all my Europe to Asia flights to Cathay's J two years ago. Never looked back!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:18 am

If BA is your benchmark then you won't be disappointed with the CX J seats - for one, assuming you select early enough, you are not forced to sit next to someone. There is much more privacy and you don't get the whole contraption shaken when your neighbour does something like on BA or when people walk up and down the aisle.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:41 am

Next to zero storage space on BA and also the socket is underneath the flat bed making it impossible to access when the bed is extended.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Miles8
Next to zero storage space on BA and also the socket is underneath the flat bed making it impossible to access when the bed is extended.
Sorry to repeat myself but there is a wide variation in BA J seats space. I take one longhaul flight per month on BA or CX. As BA Gold (Emerald) I always get a window seat Upper deck on 747 and now A380. These have three storage compartments along the fuselage. They can be used at any time during the flight and double up as table for drinks and the like when closed.

Other seats indeed suffer from the problem you mention and are much less pleasant. When on an aisle seat, you have no privacy and you can be disturbed by people walking if your body extends a bit on the side.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Flew in J on BA A380 last week(seat 11G) an aisle and can agree with all the above comments. My main concern was with the FA passing hot tea across me to guy on interior with 1 hand while lowering the privacy screen with the other hand. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Let's just put it this way, CX J seats makes you feel like you are flying BA F
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by jona970318
Let's just put it this way, CX J seats makes you feel like you are flying BA F
+1. Hard product very similar. BA has fancier touches in F than CX J, and the catering is better, but from a space perspective the difference isn't much.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
There's a trip report in my signature where I compare them. Overall, most people prefer the CX seat, but there are a few things I prefer about the BA seat which I won't rehash. Both are reasonable long haul options.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Many thanks for all the replies: I'm looking forward to my CX J experience.

PS It looks as if I might be able to access OMNI now (Unless they've shifted the goal posts again.) Bracing myself!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
BA's CW window seats actually have more privacy, while you can see outside. This is the only J cabin I ever flew that I do not like the aisle seats (FA serving over the aisle seats).

In all, I much prefer CX's J to BA's CW.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:41 pm

It is true that CX's seats are quite hard. The few times I've flown CX F, I've slept much better, which may be due to the added cushion since I'm not large and don't benefit from the extra seat space. (QR provides an added cushion even in J, and I sleep well on QR also.)

It might be interesting to design and make a pad that fits the CX J seats and which one could take in one's carry-on. If the seat measurements were available, one could cut a piece of memory foam. (I am assuming that the left-facing vs right-facing seats could be handled by a single piece of memory foam, one side or the other facing up as needed.)

I can't say anything nice about the BA toadstool at the foot of the seat. CX's fixed version is so much better.

The BA seat takeoff position is comfortable but quite disorienting...I kept thinking the FA would call me out for not having brought the seat to its 'full upright position'.

CX has no good seats for 2 people traveling together. Pulling the seat forward helps but then the seat is uncomfortable. BA's middle seats are intimate for 2 people, if you like the feeling that you're sharing a tiny jail cell.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Nov 2, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.