Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How exactly does CX Waitlist work for awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How exactly does CX Waitlist work for awards?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by iansh
text message and email (with the title: Change of your booking status).
Thank you
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
What happens to award inventory if I waitlist 2 seats for a return (roundtrip) where the outbound is on waitlist and the inbound is available? Would AM reserve the 2 available inbound seats or is it possible that someone snatches up these seats while i'm waiting for the outbound to clear?

The outbound is LAX-HKG on Dec 15 so I'm not feeling particularly hopeful. Loads in PE are W9 R9 E0.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA Gold
Each leg of the WL-ed roundtrips are cleared individually. I see your dilemma here but unfortunately that's how it works.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:15 pm

Hello, I'm sure this has been asked before but my efforts at searching haven't worked.

I want to fly YVR-HKG-SYD (85k points J). Currently there is availability on YVR-HKG but HKG-SYD is waitlist, making the while journey waitlist. If I book the YVR-HKG now (70k points J), and waitlist the HKG-SYD (45k points J), if the waitlist clears can I merge it into one booking for 85k points, instead of it ending up being 70k+45k?

Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:55 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by HPSOV
Hello, I'm sure this has been asked before but my efforts at searching haven't worked.

I want to fly YVR-HKG-SYD (85k points J). Currently there is availability on YVR-HKG but HKG-SYD is waitlist, making the while journey waitlist. If I book the YVR-HKG now (70k points J), and waitlist the HKG-SYD (45k points J), if the waitlist clears can I merge it into one booking for 85k points, instead of it ending up being 70k+45k?

Thanks.
Yes if you add HKG-SYD waitlist segment to the YVR-HKG booking and then reissue it (US$100/10,000 AM fee)
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:00 pm

Hello all. I've had my flights clear the waitlist via email Friday (Change of your booking status email).

To discuss just one flight: it is on 30th December. Email asks that I please issue ticket prior to 20th December.

However, I've just received a phone call asking me to go ahead and confirm ticket. I had to ask them to call back as I don't have the Asia Miles in my account yet. I have sufficient Amex points to transfer, however, I am also waitlisted on another airline for a more convenient flight. I was hoping to hold the cleared CX flight for as long as possible to see if I am able to clear the other waitlist before I start transferring any points.

Some web resources have shown CX will hold a flight for 30 days after it clears the waitlist; the email indicated it would be held up to 10 days prior to flight time.

This call has me even more confused!

Must I go ahead and transfer points, issue tickets, etc? Or may I wait until the time indicated on the email? Or some other time?

Many thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA Gold
Just give them a call back and ask for a hold. CX is usually quite lenient in this (technically they can WL up to 6pm on the day before departure I believe). Maybe also explain your situation if they won't budge.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:04 am

Thank you!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:53 pm

Is there a limit of waitlists that you can create? Or would advise? I'm pretty open on which flight I can take, but don't want to clog the system with waitlists but want something to clear...any advise would be appreciated.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:16 pm

Hi, new to redeem award tickets here
Reading the other thread on changes after June 22 and many saying that there are less award space, can someone give me feedback on how to move forward?
What is the best strategy for redeeming a J/F for 2 persons in the future? It seems like clearing a F ticket for 2 persons is more difficult than for a person. Do I redeem the tickets together in one account, or one by one in the same account, or have each of us redeem separately in our own account? We don't mind having one person in F and another in J.
It's just that I have enough miles to redeem for a person, but not for 2. If I were to redeem for 2 persons in one account, I will have to transfer points from a credit card and I only want to do so unless I'm sure there's a high chance of clearing a waitlist.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by BeEasyMark
Have been waitlisted on the following flights:

July 5th CX883 Los Angeles to Hong Kong
July 6th CX691 Hong Kong to Singapore

July 9th CX658 Singapore to Hong Kong
July 9th CX882 Hong Kong to Los Angeles

I signed up for ExperFlyer but have no idea how to see what my chances of getting these flights ticketed. Can someone help out here? Thanks.

Did you eventually get the flights
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by chongl
My wait-list cleared overnight...flight is in 5 days in F for those wondering. It was F4 until I cleared
how soon before the flight when waitlist clear
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Anyone know why waitlists expire so fast? I had waitlists for flights EU-BKK and they expired today so I rebooked them and it says they will expire tomorrow (flying 28th or 29th this month) assume it is because I am close in, but does that mean no more waitlisting after 25th or will I just have to repeat the process every day?

Seems to be the HKG-BKK which is messing up my flights since there is only tailored availability on those legs 29th and 30th for some reason (big event?). Seems CX uses married segment logic too. Not got my hopes up too much.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by pogonation
Anyone know why waitlists expire so fast? I had waitlists for flights EU-BKK and they expired today so I rebooked them and it says they will expire tomorrow (flying 28th or 29th this month) assume it is because I am close in, but does that mean no more waitlisting after 25th or will I just have to repeat the process every day?

Seems to be the HKG-BKK which is messing up my flights since there is only tailored availability on those legs 29th and 30th for some reason (big event?). Seems CX uses married segment logic too. Not got my hopes up too much.

Just thought I would mention something on here:
Today MAN-HKG became available on 28th. Unfortunately MAN-(HKG)-BKK was only showing available for waitlist. HKG-BKK was still showing as 57,000 business tailored only. I called CX to ask if I could confirm MAN-HKG with HKG-BKK as waitlist and she said MAN-BKK is not available if she searches for it however if she searched as MAN-HKG-BKK it gave lots of availability all at the normal choice level. I managed to ticket MAN-HKG-BKK for the normal 65,000 miles. I could find no-way to do this online and if she hadn't have mentioned it I would have never known.

So seems they can get different connecting availability if you go through the telephone office!

About 10 mins after ticketing this my DUB-HKG-BKK waitlist also came through as confirmed (not that I need it anymore since MAN was my first choice).
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:50 am

How do you know if your waitlist expired? I asked to be waitlisted for ORD-HKG and HKG-ORD from J to F at the end of August/early Sept, wondering if I should call in and waitlist again.
ba.com does not show any first class inventory available. Expertflyer only shows one seat occupied (my GF!), two blocked, three available. Biz class is only half-full, so seems my odds of upgrading should be pretty good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.