Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How exactly does CX Waitlist work for awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How exactly does CX Waitlist work for awards?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by CAWineNerd
How do you know if your waitlist expired? I asked to be waitlisted for ORD-HKG and HKG-ORD from J to F at the end of August/early Sept, wondering if I should call in and waitlist again.
ba.com does not show any first class inventory available. Expertflyer only shows one seat occupied (my GF!), two blocked, three available. Biz class is only half-full, so seems my odds of upgrading should be pretty good.
Have a look at your booking on either asiamiles website or through CX manage my booking and it will say when the waitlist will expire.

I wouldn’t use seat maps as a way of guessing loads. Look at the loads on EF instead. Seat map can be wide open and F can be sold out!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:49 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CAWineNerd
ba.com does not show any first class inventory available. Expertflyer only shows one seat occupied (my GF!), two blocked, three available. Biz class is only half-full, so seems my odds of upgrading should be pretty good.
CX has taken to flying seats empty recently https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post29972783
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
How often does CX randomly block out inventory for F?

I'm flying HKG-ORD on August 6th and I've been keeping an eye on it, and whilst the other classes have come in and out of zero inventory, F has gone from F5 A5 to F1 A1, sat like that for a week then went back to F5 A5.

Just looks all over the shop!

I have an F award waitlist in, not holding my breath given those loads but I just thought it odd that they blocked out revenue F inventory for about a week.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Perhaps 4 people bought flexible F tickets...?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ralphs
Perhaps 4 people bought flexible F tickets...?
Could be, just assumed it was CX playing silly buggers.

If they did buy 4 seats, they never bothered selecting any, but I guess that's probably not unusual if you had that much cash to throw around.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:20 pm

Hello! I had started a new thread and then came across this existing one. would it be more appropriate to post here?

Trying to redeem companion ticket and am waitlisted for all segments. What is the possibility of getting confirmed?

Round trip Vancouver to Australia
Oct. 30, 2018: Vancouver to Hong Kong 14:10 cx837 (Alternatively Oct. 29 or 31)
Oct. 31 : Hong Kong to Sydney 23:55 cx101 (connecting flight)
Dec.03 : Melbourne to Hong Kong 13:35 cx104 (Alternatively Dec. 2, 4,)
Dec.10 : Hong Kong to Vancouver 16:10 cx838 (Alternatively Dec. 7, 11, 12, 13)

MPC had advised there is no other availability on or near these dates as of yet. Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by MXM11
Hello! I had started a new thread and then came across this existing one. would it be more appropriate to post here?

Trying to redeem companion ticket and am waitlisted for all segments. What is the possibility of getting confirmed?

Round trip Vancouver to Australia
Oct. 30, 2018: Vancouver to Hong Kong 14:10 cx837 (Alternatively Oct. 29 or 31)
Oct. 31 : Hong Kong to Sydney 23:55 cx101 (connecting flight)
Dec.03 : Melbourne to Hong Kong 13:35 cx104 (Alternatively Dec. 2, 4,)
Dec.10 : Hong Kong to Vancouver 16:10 cx838 (Alternatively Dec. 7, 11, 12, 13)

MPC had advised there is no other availability on or near these dates as of yet. Thanks!
Bit early to tell at this stage but I have had almost 100% success for companion redemptions.

Most of your proposed flights have reasonable I availability at this stage with the exception of your return on Dec 10 - better to switch to the 11th.

The morning flight out of Melbourne on the 3rd looks better otherwise the 4th if you want CX104.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Macro Polo, Asia Miles
Hello all,

I just joined the forum and getting to know Flyer talk a bit. I have been following this thread for a week since I finally accumulated enough Asia Miles to actually use. It seems this is the best thread to ask this question, hopefully one of you can help me out. I am currently on a waitlist for a PEY to J upgrade on a JFK to HKG round trip. I waitlisted using 70K Asia Miles, from what I understand, they recently have raised how many miles it takes to upgrade. The PEY seats are confirmed, just trying to get an idea if theres a chance my upgrades might clear, not sure if there is a way to check this. I called MPC (currently MPC silver member) but they said just to wait until the waitlist deadline. Additionally, on the cathay website, it mentions that if waitlist doesn't clear by August 10, 18, the booking will be cancelled, is this referring to the upgrade or my confirmed booking all together. Any help would be appreciated, much thanks in advance!

My Itinerary is as follows, my dates are not flexible unfortunately.

JFK to HKG 9/9/18 CX841
HKG to JFK 19/9/18 CX830
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by scottie80
Bit early to tell at this stage but I have had almost 100% success for companion redemptions.

Most of your proposed flights have reasonable I availability at this stage with the exception of your return on Dec 10 - better to switch to the 11th.

The morning flight out of Melbourne on the 3rd looks better otherwise the 4th if you want CX104.
Thanks Scottie80! Wow, almost 100% success rate, you must be a high priority flyer and have some luck as well!

Have been calling MPC consistantly for the last few days with no success on any segments yet. The rep says there's virtually no availability even within the same month yet. Hopefully some availability will be released soon, or else it'll be too late to plan such a big trip.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:15 am

In general CX does not release awards until about 14 days out. I'm waiting for a J->F on August 30. It is annoying to wait until that close in, but you have to be willing to fly the original class of booking or else you shouldn't play the waitlist game, instead just book the desired class.
etkuo likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA Gold
Originally Posted by MYSTERY O
Hello all,

I just joined the forum and getting to know Flyer talk a bit. I have been following this thread for a week since I finally accumulated enough Asia Miles to actually use. It seems this is the best thread to ask this question, hopefully one of you can help me out. I am currently on a waitlist for a PEY to J upgrade on a JFK to HKG round trip. I waitlisted using 70K Asia Miles, from what I understand, they recently have raised how many miles it takes to upgrade. The PEY seats are confirmed, just trying to get an idea if theres a chance my upgrades might clear, not sure if there is a way to check this. I called MPC (currently MPC silver member) but they said just to wait until the waitlist deadline. Additionally, on the cathay website, it mentions that if waitlist doesn't clear by August 10, 18, the booking will be cancelled, is this referring to the upgrade or my confirmed booking all together. Any help would be appreciated, much thanks in advance!

My Itinerary is as follows, my dates are not flexible unfortunately.

JFK to HKG 9/9/18 CX841
HKG to JFK 19/9/18 CX830

Still quite early. But you can check the load on Experflyer.

Here are those for your booked flights:

CX 841 JFK 09/09/18 10:00 AM HKG 09/10/18 2:00 PM 77W
F3 A2 J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9
K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9

CX 830 HKG 09/19/18 9:15 AM JFK 09/19/18 1:15 PM 77W
F2 A1 J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9
K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q0

Looks light at the moment but JFK flights you can expect a lot of last minute J or even F bookings.

And to answer your questions. You never know when they will clear you. Having status with MPC helps. The ticketing deadline is just for the WL, it won't affect your original confirmed PEY bookings. And you can call MPC hotline (or AM if that's the case) to extend the ticketing deadline. Technically they can do it the up till the day before departure. A few factors decide how lenient they are but in general at least 4 days before departure at least I believe.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:14 pm

Has anyone had any success upgrading with the ground staff at check in (YVR -> HKG) or just in general? I tried to upgrade a flight before hand but long story short - waitlist expired and the people at Marco Polo said to try upgrade when I check in. I'm just wondering if there's a good time I should do so, 2 hours before flight, or 3 hours before flight make a difference?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Macro Polo, Asia Miles
Originally Posted by iansh
Still quite early. But you can check the load on Experflyer.

Here are those for your booked flights:

CX 841 JFK 09/09/18 10:00 AM HKG 09/10/18 2:00 PM 77W
F3 A2 J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9
K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9

CX 830 HKG 09/19/18 9:15 AM JFK 09/19/18 1:15 PM 77W
F2 A1 J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9
K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q0

Looks light at the moment but JFK flights you can expect a lot of last minute J or even F bookings.

And to answer your questions. You never know when they will clear you. Having status with MPC helps. The ticketing deadline is just for the WL, it won't affect your original confirmed PEY bookings. And you can call MPC hotline (or AM if that's the case) to extend the ticketing deadline. Technically they can do it the up till the day before departure. A few factors decide how lenient they are but in general at least 4 days before departure at least I believe.
Thanks so much for your reply. I called and had them extend the waitlist deadline until four days prior to departure on both legs of my trip. I personally don't mind flying PEY, way better then flying economy on cathay. I have quite a bit of miles expiring towards the end of the year and wanted to use them for this upgrade if possible. Either way, still hoping the upgrade clears, also, please pardon my ignorance but the numbers you posted for my flights from expert flyer, how do I go about interpreting these numbers. Is there a chart or a FAQ that I can use. That would be great!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by MYSTERY O
Thanks so much for your reply. I called and had them extend the waitlist deadline until four days prior to departure on both legs of my trip. I personally don't mind flying PEY, way better then flying economy on cathay. I have quite a bit of miles expiring towards the end of the year and wanted to use them for this upgrade if possible. Either way, still hoping the upgrade clears, also, please pardon my ignorance but the numbers you posted for my flights from expert flyer, how do I go about interpreting these numbers. Is there a chart or a FAQ that I can use. That would be great!
I have had pretty much 100% success rate upgrading from PEY to J on the YYZ route even with pretty tight revenue loads. (e.g. J3 C3 D2 I0) However, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that the waitlist actually clears.The majority of time you won't get the upgrade until within the last 2 to 3 days before the flight. And one time I had to wait until the airport and request the upgrades during check-in.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:58 pm

Out of interest, does having a BA status - i.e. one world status help with these bookings ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.