Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay to move to Changi Terminal 4 in 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay to move to Changi Terminal 4 in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Kachjc
with respect
CX failed
they could have go everything T4 offers and more had the been in the new T5 or negotiated to get into T3
Now it sits alongside Air Asia
Again, you know that CX failed because? What if they never negotiated a move to T3 in the first place? T5 is still being built, do you think its better to stay in T1 for the next 3-4 years while T5 is being built?

Lastly T4 with a real lounge is better than the current T1 setup? Apart from the direct link with the other terminals, what makes T1 better than the potential improvements to passenger experience in T4?

**I hate sounding like a CX Apologist but I think we have to be fair and admit that T4 while not be perfect is still a step above the current arrangements in T1.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:52 am

because SQ gets the best at HKG and CX gets the crumbs at SIN!
KINDA OBVIOUS who is better....

now the mod wants us to move on

I am a little surprised CX did not develop a separate First Class lounge.
Surely SIN has more MPO's etc than LHR
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I think that moving out of T1 is the best move CX could have made, and T4 isn't even open so judgement should be reserved until at least the end of November once the kinks are worked out.

Side note T5 is set to finish in the late 2020s (so say 2027-2029), that's 10 years away at least. There is nothing stopping CX from moving to those terminals if they want to and can negotiate it. Besides T5 is more like the satellite terminals in HKG because of their position.
thekfc likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

now the mod wants us to move on
C'mon- the mods have a right to post their views as normal posters too!

I for one don't like the move to T4. T1 is the fastest terminal at SIN for bags/cabs etc and I'm usually on an evening flight out, so the QF lounge works well. Who knows what incentives/arm twisting CX got..but that's done..and T4 it is..so, moving on.

The images that 24left posted..exit screening and entry customs are on the 'right end' of the terminal (when one is facing airside). The widebody gates are on the left end. Going to be a fairly long walk.

Had an MI flight a few days back that boarded via stairs to a plane parked at T4. The bus ride from T2, while fun, made it quite clear that the baggage belts are a fair distance from where the widebody gates are.

ETA: wouldn't be surprised if SQ has an SOP/Budget to try and get good gates. Had a few family/friends fly DEL-SIN past few months. Each and every flight from DEL departed from the gate closest to where passengers joined the 'gate area'. Good for them.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets

I for one don't like the move to T4. T1 is the fastest terminal at SIN for bags/cabs etc and I'm usually on an evening flight out, so the QF lounge works well. Who knows what incentives/arm twisting CX got..but that's done..and T4 it is..so, moving on.

The images that 24left posted..exit screening and entry customs are on the 'right end' of the terminal (when one is facing airside). The widebody gates are on the left end. Going to be a fairly long walk.

Had an MI flight a few days back that boarded via stairs to a plane parked at T4. The bus ride from T2, while fun, made it quite clear that the baggage belts are a fair distance from where the widebody gates are.

ETA: wouldn't be surprised if SQ has an SOP/Budget to try and get good gates. Had a few family/friends fly DEL-SIN past few months. Each and every flight from DEL departed from the gate closest to where passengers joined the 'gate area'. Good for them.
The ignore button is a useful function ^

Most airlines have agreements to only use certain gates, I'm sure CX does too. It doesn't always work though, I saw an SQ A350 pull up to a bus gate at HKG the other day!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:33 pm

I am a little surprised CX did not develop a separate First Class lounge. Surely SIN has more MPO's etc than LHR
Maybe because SIN doesnt have a regular F service, should be pretty obvious too if you regularly fly on CX.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:36 pm

CX always gets the far gates in BKK....although it makes sense because they normally need 2-4 at one time, and it would be easier logistically for the ground staff. Although I was on a few CX flights that parked at a D gate recently.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
From the tour, I recall the escalators to the CX lounge is 100-150m past the first row of shops right after immigrations. There is also an escalator exit at the other end of the lounge that emerges next to the widebody gates near the Peranakan corner.

Am sure someone will provide an update shortly when T4 opens for the media this Friday.

In the meantime:
Attached Images  
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Alawyer
There is also an escalator exit at the other end of the lounge that emerges next to the widebody gates near the Peranakan corner.
If I read you correctly, does this mean there's a minimal / no walk from the CX lounge to the gate? If so, I would say ++++++++great!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Maybe because SIN doesnt have a regular F service, should be pretty obvious too if you regularly fly on CX.
SIN has more Diamond Passengers if what I was betting on....
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Yes, SIN flights can routinely have 30+ DM members alone. I once heard of 50. SIN, PVG and PEK are known as the three most DM-heavy routes in the entire CX / KA network.

However, what FlyPointyEnd is referring to is proper F service. SIN has dropped F, except in rare occasions. It is not predictable nor guaranteed (like, say HND is).

LHR has multiple CX flights with F each day and does not use BA's T5. Thus, the only way to provide an F lounge experience is to build it.

There are a few CX destinations without a proper F lounge (SFO and CDG comes to mind, 1x daily with F each), but it would be a more glaring hole for LHR not to have any F lounge when 2-3x flights daily depart with F. SIN has 0 flights/day with F.

I'm not sure I even agree with this logic - I really wish CX would build an F lounge in SIN, or hell build their first "Diamond lounge" us loyal MPCs have been pining for! - but at least I somewhat understand it.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:11 pm

First Class lounge access is a DM benefit, but since there are no regular scheduled FCL flight out of SIN, it does't make a lot of sense to keep a dedicated lounge for DMs. Compared to LHR which has 3-4 scheduled FCL flights per day. Plus DMs can use the Business Class lounge which is still a step above DNATA. For me I'm normally at Killiney having Kaya Toast and Kopi before my flight.
HaikalS likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by QRC3288
If I read you correctly, does this mean there's a minimal / no walk from the CX lounge to the gate? If so, I would say ++++++++great!
yup- think so.

wouldve been great if CX counters/ immigration/screening had been on the same end of the terminal as well!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Pity no access to departures when stepping off 659 next Tues morning. Else can experience that side of the airport
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:54 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

and since cx stopped using 346 i always get gate 30sth at heathrow. Once in a blue moon we get 25-28.

Crappy gates...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.