Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific Experience / Seats / Interline / Baggage FAQs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: maortega15
The Cathay Pacific Inflight Experience FAQs.

For information on CX equipment registration, new addition and retrofit status, and which equipment operate to which destinations:

Fleet, Route, Configuration Details about entire CX and KA Fleet:
* CX and KA Fleet: Cathay Pacific (CX) and Cathay Dragon (KA) Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide

I’m looking at Cathay’s schedules and don't know what “Equipment” is meant by the three letter code. What do all the different three letter alphanumeric codes mean?

Cathay's schedules only display the IATA standard three letter alphanumeric codes for aircraft type (i.e. 773, 772, 333, 350 and 77W) rather than Cathay's own three letter alphanumeric equipment codes. The table below lists Cathay's internal three letter equipment codes, together with a breakdown of the types of seats installed on that particular aircraft.

Code:
Code  Operates     First Class   Business Class   Premium Econ.  Economy Class
 LONGHAUL 
 33E   Long Haul    -             Cirrus           No             Cradle
 33K   Long Haul    -             Cirrus           Yes            Cradle
 35G   Long Haul    -             New Cirrus       Yes            New cradle 
 77G   Long Haul    -             Cirrus           Yes            Cradle
 77H   Long Haul    Suite         Cirrus           Yes            Cradle 
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 REGIONAL
 33P   Regional     -             Regional         No          Hard Shell/Cradle
 772Z  Regional     No            Regional         No              Cradle
 73Z   Regional     No            Regional         No             Hard shell

See this link for pictures of the different types of business class seats: Cathay Pacific Business Class seats

Which of Cathay’s aircraft operate where?
We unofficially divide Cathay's aircraft into two types of product:
  • Long Haul (77G, 77H, 33E, 33K and 35G); and
  • Regional (33P, B772Z, 73Z).

We also unofficially divide Cathay's destination network into three zones:
  • Long Haul (Europe, North America, Australia, New Zealand);
  • Medium Haul (Middle East and India); and
  • Regional (rest of Asia).

Generally, aircraft are deployed as follows:

1. If you are flying to a Long Haul zoned destination, your flight will ALWAYS be operated by a Long Haul aircraft.
Sometimes when looking at the schedule, it will show that your aircraft is 773 for a long haul destination. So long as you are flying to or from a Long Haul zoned destination your flight will ALWAYS be on a 777-300ER with Long Haul Product. Cathay's regional "773" has derated engines and it is simply physically impossible for them to fly to Europe or North America.

2. If you are flying to a Medium Haul zoned destination, the type of product on your flight will DEPEND on your specific destination and flight number.
Certain destinations are always served by Long Haul product, while other destinations might be served by Long Haul product on certain flights only. Generally these flights are "sticky", i.e. they are always scheduled to be operated by Long Haul products. However, unlike Long Haul destinations, these "sticky" Medium Haul zoned Long Haul product flights may sometimes, but rarely be subject to aircraft swaps to a Regional product due to operational (tech problems) requirements.

3. If you are flying to a Regional zoned destination, you may get EITHER a Regional product or a Long Haul product.
Certain regional destinations have "sticky" flights operated by Long Haul product; other regional destinations see Long Haul product on an ad hoc basis.

What is the best way to definitively determine which aircraft is scheduled on the particular flight I want to take?

Look at the seat map of the aircraft assigned to your flight. This can be done in one of two ways:

1. If you have an existing booking and are flying in Business Class, log in to Manage My Booking on cathaypacific.com. Pull up the seat map (select my seat) and look at the seat map (using the guide below) to ascertain the equipment currently assigned to your flight.

2. If you have not made a booking, or are travelling in Economy Class (and hence you do not have access to a JCL seat map) you can still use the purchases page to ascertain the configuration of the generic aircraft code you are given. Make a dummy booking for Business Class and then at the entry of traveller's details page to choose a seat, which will bring up the seat maps. The trick is to identify the layout: any aircraft which has more than two seats windowside (e.g. 2-2-2 or 2-3-2 configuration) in Business Class will be Regional product.

Be warned that aircraft switches between type are extremely common on regional flights, depending on maintenance requirements.

Will I get an amenity kit in First/Business class on my flight?

Long haul zoned flights: Yes
Medium Haul: Only on overnight sectors
Regional: No even if your regional flight is an overnight redeye.
Business Class Amenity Kits
First Class Amenity Kits

What is considered a regional flight and medium haul flight
Regional - Mainland China (PEK, PVG), Japan (CTS, FUK, KIX, HND, NGO, NRT), Indonesia (CGK, DPS, SUB), Malaysia (KUL), Philippines (CEB, MNL), Singapore (SIN), South Korea (ICN), Thailand (BKK)
Medium haul - India (BOM, DEL, HYD, MAA), Maldives (MLE), Middle East (BAH, DXB, RUH), Sri Lanka (CMB)

What will I eat on my flight?

Here are the most recent links to menus:

Links to menus
Discuss your meal options here

What are the seats like on Cathay Pacific?

You can find details and pictures of the different classes of travel at the Cathay Pacific website: Travel Classes

Where can I see seat maps for Cathay Pacific?

Cathay Pacific Seat Maps

What are the best seats in First Class?

1A, 1K, 2A and 2K are essentially the same seat. Similarly 1D and 2D are similar to each other.

Row 1 is closer to the galley so may be slightly noisier during meal times. The entry for suites 1D and 2D are on the right-hand aisle (i.e. the same aisle as 1K and 2K). This means that 1A and 2A could have less foot traffic. However, sometimes that this is compensated for by cabin crew using the left-hand aisle when they need to access the forward galley.

When flying long haul business class on a 777, is it better to sit in the "mini cabin" at the front, or in the second section?

There are a number of threads on this topic, which is open to personal opinion. Please do a search on the terms "mini cabin" "dorm room". These threads have some common opinions:
12D or 12J or the other part of J
12A or 16K on 77W New J Class?
How to get seat assignment for 11D & 11G on the 777-300ER?

What are the best Business Class seats on a A330 (long haul)?

The A330s have the "Reverse Herringbone" seats, also referred to as "Cirrus" or "New Business Class". The seat configuration is 1-2-1. The window seats are angled towards the window, and the middle pair of seats are angled towards each other. There are two cabins - rows 11-18 in Zone A between doors 1 and 2; and rows 19-22 in Zone B just behind door 2. The second cabin is smaller but there will be foot traffic from Economy Class passengers during door 2 during boarding. Row 18 is missing a window.

What are the best Business Class seats on a 777 (long haul)?

777s have the "Reverse Herringbone" seats, also referred to as "Cirrus" or "New Business Class". The seat configuration is 1-2-1. The window seats are angled towards the window, and the middle pair of seats are angled towards each other.
77G (3-class aircraft without First class)
Row 19 is missing both windows.

77H
There are two cabins; a main cabin in Zone B between doors 2 and 3 consisting of rows 15-26 and a smaller "mini-cabin" forward of doors 2 and behind the First Class cabin consisting of rows 11-12. Some like the quiet and privacy of the mini-cabin; while others prefer the spaciousness of the main Business Class cabin.

Note missing windows on the 77H as follows:
15A is missing both windows.
16K is missing one window.
21AK is missing the window nearest the pax's head.
24AK is missing the window nearest the pax's feet.

What are the best seats in Regional Business Class?

There is only one cabin in Regional Business Class. Generally you should have a look at the seat maps and find a seat that pleases you based on proximity to galleys and lavatories.

What are the best Business Class seats for a couple: Long Haul New Business Class?

The center seats D/G allow couples to be able to face each other and have a conversation over the partition. You are able to slide your seats forward to make conversation even easier, and then when you want some separate time, you can slide the seats back.

Some people prefer A/D or G/K seats as couples even though there is an aisle between you, as these seats allow you to physically visit the other person by crossing the aisle.

Also check this thread for opinions: New Business Class seating for couples

Best seats on 777-300ER Thread

Can I check my baggage through when connecting to another airline?

Yes. From Cathay's FAQ:

As a courtesy, Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon will through-check you and your bags to your final destination if you are travelling on separate tickets involving connections with our interline partners. However through-check may not be possible on their return journey if your travel begins with an airline that does not to provide separate ticket through-check service.

Passengers holding connecting itineraries booked on a single ticket or connecting between Cathay Pacific Group operated flights will be through-checked to their final destination regardless.
CX/KA has interline agreements with the following airlines. This means that baggage may be checked through to final destination even if travelling on separate tickets.

ELECTRONIC INTERLINE CARRIER AGREEMENTS-CX
INTERLINE CARRIER CODES :
MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO

AA AB AC AE AF AH AI AM AS AT AV AY AZ BA
BD BG BI BL BP BR BT B6 B7 CA CI CM CO CZ
DL EI EK ET EY FI FJ FM GF GN HA HG HM
HR IB IC IG IR JC JJ JL JO JP JQ JU KA KC
KE KL KM KQ KU KW LA LG LH LO LP LR LX LY
MD ME MF MH MI MS MU MX NF NH NU NX NZ OA
OK OM OS OU OZ PG PK PR PS PX QF QR RA SA
SB SC SK SN SQ SU SV S7 TA TG TK TM TN TP
UA UL UN US UU VN VS VX WS WY W5 XL ZH 4M
9W
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific Experience / Seats / Interline / Baggage FAQs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Croupier
Awkward interline experience.

10 days ago at HKG on a QF award, HKG-HND in Y, as OW Sapphire (now Emerald) I used the premium check in, we were connecting, separate ticket to QR for our return Saki fare to BRU.

I asked for our bags to be checked through and was flat out denied the request in a stern tone "We do not thru check and never have, blah, blah..." Here we go I thought to myself.
I explained that I was pretty sure they do as I had seen it on their webpage, again denial from agent.
I told her that it is going to be very inconvenient even though we have 2.5hr transit time and that I will also need to leave my girlfriend in transit and collect her bags as she is Ukrainian, all the while i'm frantically googling to find the CX webpage about the interline policy.

I was about to ask for a supervisor when she said as a courtesy because my girlfriend has no visa that she will do it just this once.

On a side note the check in agent in BRU also tried to deny us interline to JL but this was quickly rectified as a QR rep was manning the premium line.
Not sure if I understand you correctly. Are you asking the HKG CX check-in agent to tag your bag beyond HND to a QR flight? If so, yes CX should have done it for you per CX's new rule. If you are coming from another flight and asked the CX transit desk at HKG to retag your bag that was originally tagged to HKG only, CX has stopped the practice as of Aug. 2017.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:45 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
If you are coming from another flight and asked the CX transit desk at HKG to retag your bag that was originally tagged to HKG only, CX has stopped the practice as of Aug. 2017.
Missed the post on this

So (currently) if a bag is tagged to HKG, pax must enter landside to retrieve it even if he gets BP from transit desk before HK immigration?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Missed the post on this

So (currently) if a bag is tagged to HKG, pax must enter landside to retrieve it even if he gets BP from transit desk before HK immigration?
I believe so. I don't know if there was a post on this, but below is the announcement from TPECX to travel agents in early Aug. this year (if you can read Chinese), which says CX transit desk at HKG will no longer retag bags from other airlines tagged to HKG.

致 Cathay Agents 用戶:

即日起,回程若為他航接駁國泰航空、國泰港龍航空且開立不同票本時(包含個人及團體訂位),於香港機場轉機 時,國泰航空、國泰港龍航空將不再協助行李重掛的服務,旅客必須於香港機場提領行李並重新辦理 登機手續。

為了避免耽誤旅客行程,請務必預留足夠的轉機時間,並備妥香港簽證等相關文件,旅客於台灣出境時,請配合機 場櫃台職員進行簽證檢查。

謝謝您的留意。
國泰航空有限公司 謹上
Cathay Agents
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:38 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Another Enhancement. Thanks ernestnywang
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: MPC Gold
Value of PEY ticket going to PEK but no PEY section

Hi all, have to book a flight to PEK in early May so will be booking MNL - HKG - PEK.

CX Smartsaver fare on Y (Ticket class S) is USD 383 per pax and will earn me 30 CP. There's another promo with a local Philippines bank that will allow me to book a PEY (Ticket class E) ticket at USD 460 and will earn me 70 CP.

However, when choosing flights it seems most, if not all flights from HKG to PEK doesn't have a PEY section. I'm MPC silver so can prebook seats and can also access CX lounges therefore am having a hard time finding the value in paying for the PEY ticket especially without the actual PEY seats available on the longer segment (HKG to PEK) of the flight.

Two questions:
1. Will having a PEY ticket class (E) net me a higher chance of op-up to J?
2. How are flights from HKG to PEK in general?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by dmatthew
Hi all, have to book a flight to PEK in early May so will be booking MNL - HKG - PEK.

CX Smartsaver fare on Y (Ticket class S) is USD 383 per pax and will earn me 30 CP. There's another promo with a local Philippines bank that will allow me to book a PEY (Ticket class E) ticket at USD 460 and will earn me 70 CP.

However, when choosing flights it seems most, if not all flights from HKG to PEK doesn't have a PEY section. I'm MPC silver so can prebook seats and can also access CX lounges therefore am having a hard time finding the value in paying for the PEY ticket especially without the actual PEY seats available on the longer segment (HKG to PEK) of the flight.

Two questions:
1. Will having a PEY ticket class (E) net me a higher chance of op-up to J?
2. How are flights from HKG to PEK in general?

Thanks in advance!
Depends on how you value/how much you need those CPs. For me, ~$2 per CP is a crazy good value as the cheapest you can get from club point running is around $5-6 per CP.
Not sure if you can actually book into E tho if there isn't E on any flight to begin with (if there's no PE, then there's not gonna be E fare for sale).
I wouldn't say PEK is worth it to fly in J. It's shorter in reality than what it's blocked at, and it's seen through how inadequately CX caters their PEK flights (CX metal to PEK is one-tray without proper appetizer or cheese/fruit for J class, whereas KA metal gets a proper appetizer at least.)
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: MPC Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Depends on how you value/how much you need those CPs. For me, ~$2 per CP is a crazy good value as the cheapest you can get from club point running is around $5-6 per CP.
Not sure if you can actually book into E tho if there isn't E on any flight to begin with (if there's no PE, then there's not gonna be E fare for sale).
I wouldn't say PEK is worth it to fly in J. It's shorter in reality than what it's blocked at, and it's seen through how inadequately CX caters their PEK flights (CX metal to PEK is one-tray without proper appetizer or cheese/fruit for J class, whereas KA metal gets a proper appetizer at least.)
Thanks for the info @G-CIVC !

You're right it's not E if there's no PEY, but they're still marketing it at a PEY rate haha.

May just take it for the CP run as you've noted its quite good value hehe. Thanks again!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by dmatthew
Thanks for the info @G-CIVC !

You're right it's not E if there's no PEY, but they're still marketing it at a PEY rate haha.

May just take it for the CP run as you've noted its quite good value hehe. Thanks again!
Note if you are not booked in E you earn whatever the rate in the class you book, but I believe the points are the same for E, Y, B, H, K.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:31 am

Here's a question since KA has now taken over the HKG-KUL route.
- when interlining between 2 different PNR, KUL-HKG and followed by HKG-LAX, will the US luggage piece system be applied throughout the trip?
- any difference if its MH vs KA interlining to CX?
- what about if if I route from KUL-SIN via MH and followed on by SIN-HKG-LAX?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:50 pm

Just booked ORD-HKG. I added my AAdvantage Number when making the reservation so will this ensure I get TSA PreCheck? I don't see anywhere to enter my KTN under Manage Booking.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by piotrkol1
Just booked ORD-HKG. I added my AAdvantage Number when making the reservation so will this ensure I get TSA PreCheck? I don't see anywhere to enter my KTN under Manage Booking.
When I flew CX in December, I could not enter my KTN under Manage Booking. I entered that during OLCI and got TSAPreCheck. AA# won't help in getting PreCheck AFAIK. BTW, there is no guarantee that you will receive TSA PreCheck with even KTN (I didn't get PreCheck once about four years ago).

OTOH, my wife flew SFO-HKG late January. She was directed to the TSA PreCheck line even without a KTN. I still wonder what happened.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:06 pm

KTN field is in Manage Booking -> My Details -> Travel Document. For me it is second from the bottom just after Redress Number and just above Emergency Contact.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal
KTN field is in Manage Booking -> My Details -> Travel Document. For me it is second from the bottom just after Redress Number and just above Emergency Contact.
Thanks, except for some reason its not letting me update the information. When I type in the number and hit "Update" it becomes outlined in red along with an exclamation point, but there is no other message/explanation. I was able to update my passport information without any problem.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Thanks, except for some reason its not letting me update the information. When I type in the number and hit "Update" it becomes outlined in red along with an exclamation point, but there is no other message/explanation. I was able to update my passport information without any problem.
Is your ticket in a booking class, which allows you (for example) seat selection ? If not and you selected seats based on your FF qualification, then I can understand that removing the FF might bring the booking into an invalid state and as such, the removal is refused.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Cambo
Is your ticket in a booking class, which allows you (for example) seat selection ? If not and you selected seats based on your FF qualification, then I can understand that removing the FF might bring the booking into an invalid state and as such, the removal is refused.
I believe piotrkol1 is trying to enter his KTN, not FF #.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.