Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Having started this thread 8 years ago, it’s disappointing that my CX734 yesterday this week was swapped from 1-2-1 reverse herringbones to 2-3-2 recliners.

Looks like some things never change.
Sorry for the consistency of CX this time.

CX734/739 are always operated by regional 773, so your previous 1-2-1 aircraft was a big bonus indeed.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by TomYoung
Rather terrifyingly, it looks that from next March MNL is destined to only get 1 LH bird a day.
Interestingly, SQ has just rostered their 787-10 with new J product on MNL-SIN.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TomYoung
It is not that I need a flat bed for short flights it is that the regional J seat is unbelievably uncomfortable, and when I am forced to use it there is no PY seat on the plane as an alternative. Rather terrifyingly, it looks that from next March MNL is destined to only get 1 LH bird a day.
March is normally the start of the summer break for most students in the Philippines, so It's normal for CX to want to maximize passenger capacity and send the regional planes to Manila. Last July 1, CX did 4 flights on 77H (unfortunately I was doing the A35J flights to TPE and had to settle for the 773.)
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold
Not speaking up for CX, but i have not gotten a single aircraft change in the last 3 months or so.. 5 return sinhkgsin and several other hkgtpe return.. No chance at all for changes from the original 73P to other types... disappointed..
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Microtat
Not speaking up for CX, but i have not gotten a single aircraft change in the last 3 months or so.. 5 return sinhkgsin and several other hkgtpe return.. No chance at all for changes from the original 73P to other types... disappointed..
How heavy were the loads on those 77P flights? I'd imagine it being a mess if they swap a fully-booked 77P to anything else.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold
Yeah, only one flight with a slightly above half full J. 2 others were full up front.. maybe that’s why...
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SLGO
CX734/739 are always operated by regional 773, so your previous 1-2-1 aircraft was a big bonus indeed.
In the past 5 weeks CX734/739 has been operated by 9 A333, 3 A359, 3 B772, 18 B773 and 7 B77W, so a real jumble of configs really.

For this reason I have been taking CX716 for my commutes, which has basically been a lock for the A359 for a number of months now. In fact, out of about 30 or so flights between SIN HKG in recent history, I don't recall more than 2 last minute swaps, both which resulted in a bump up to J as I usually am booked into W. Compared to a few years ago where almost all flights daily were a lottery.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM, HU FWC Gold
As I know, the only flight that guarantee non regional J will be CX659/CX650 for HKG-SIN/SIN-HKG route.
And bigger chance for non regional J will be CX716/CX717/CX636

For others, it's a gamble.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by pochi
As I know, the only flight that guarantee non regional J will be CX659/CX650 for HKG-SIN/SIN-HKG route.
And bigger chance for non regional J will be CX716/CX717/CX636

For others, it's a gamble.
The other way to guarantee non regional J is.....take SQ on the route.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM, HU FWC Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
True haha. But I bet people stick to this thread because they are ow member and have tier issue.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Isn't the 8pm departure from SIN on a 777 with regional cabin (2+2+2)? I think most recently I took the flight in May, and felt really cheap...

SQ also send the A330 to HKG on some rotations (I think).

As for CX, might take that option 2-3 times a year. Really never know what to expect, but for such a short flight it's not a huge problem either way.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by nanyang
Isn't the 8pm departure from SIN on a 777 with regional cabin (2+2+2)? I think most recently I took the flight in May, and felt really cheap...

SQ also send the A330 to HKG on some rotations (I think).

As for CX, might take that option 2-3 times a year. Really never know what to expect, but for such a short flight it's not a huge problem either way.
It is true, SQ operates some regional equipment on the route. But that's not what this thread is really about!

It's about swaps, aka predictability. And SQ is highly predicatable to HKG, whereas CX famously isn't. Ex-SIN you have 4x daily guaranteed longhaul product flights to HKG: starting with morning A380, then A350, then B77W, and the last longhaul product is SQ2 B77W. Guaranteed every day. And not only can you guarantee longhaul J, but F too except A350. No swaps!

If you're paying out of your own pocket, and do the route frequently enough, at least for me it's incredibly frustrating to think you're getting longhaul J with WiFi and then you end up at the lasy minute with the crappy shorthaul regional J and no WiFi (speaking about CX here doing a swap from A359 to a regional bird). You can easily pay 2k USD + for that ticket! I honestly don't care about a bed for the flight but for me it's the workspace and privacy of Cirrus J or regional F which is crucial. And of course if you have clients or associates who planned on flying F, it is just a huge dose of cold water to be downgraded to regional J. That's my two cents and why I've swapped to SQ on the route.

You're right though that at least 3 SQ frequencies feature the regional SQ product. The difference though is the longhaul birds on SQ aren't swapped. The product is protected if you paid for it at least to HKG. Not the case on CX.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
With current rotations, the lottery has not been much of an issue. Barring swaps, you are almost guarantee a LH J product except for 739 and 715 ex HKG. Even then, CX tries to sneak in a 77G at times for 739
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I will be flying CX658 in J on 21/08, at the moment the aircraft came with F, and I am thinking of using miles to upgrade to F.

What will happen if they swap the equipment with something doesnt have F? would I just get my points back (if not I might only consider of upgrade at check in).

It is also a morning flight, so apart from the seat, would be meal be better than J? Will there be any bubbles served for this 9:50 flight?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Thumbs up

It is true, SQ operates some regional equipment on the route. But that's not what this thread is really about!

It's about swaps, aka predictability. And SQ is highly predicatable to HKG, whereas CX famously isn't. Ex-SIN you have 4x daily guaranteed longhaul product flights to HKG: starting with morning A380, then A350, then B77W, and the last longhaul product is SQ2 B77W. Guaranteed every day. And not only can you guarantee longhaul J, but F too except A350. No swaps!

If you're paying out of your own pocket, and do the route frequently enough, at least for me it's incredibly frustrating to think you're getting longhaul J with WiFi and then you end up at the lasy minute with the crappy shorthaul regional J and no WiFi (speaking about CX here doing a swap from A359 to a regional bird). You can easily pay 2k USD + for that ticket! I honestly don't care about a bed for the flight but for me it's the workspace and privacy of Cirrus J or regional F which is crucial. And of course if you have clients or associates who planned on flying F, it is just a huge dose of cold water to be downgraded to regional J. That's my two cents and why I've swapped to SQ on the route.

You're right though that at least 3 SQ frequencies feature the regional SQ product. The difference though is the longhaul birds on SQ aren't swapped. The product is protected if you paid for it at least to HKG. Not the case on CX.
Point taken!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.