Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific USA internet booking triggered foreign transaction fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific USA internet booking triggered foreign transaction fee

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:58 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Originally Posted by Happy
There is a LONG RUNNING thread in the Credit Card forum. Have you not know such forum exists?

It is even a STICKY!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...tion-fees.html
sorry I wasn't clear. I am thinking more in terms of the vendor side, i.e. which airlines, hotels, online travel agents, etc. would charge you forex (at least for US people) under what situations (e.g. flights originate from outside of US) instead of which credit cards have no forex fees.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swy
sorry I wasn't clear. I am thinking more in terms of the vendor side, i.e. which airlines, hotels, online travel agents, etc. would charge you forex (at least for US people) under what situations (e.g. flights originate from outside of US) instead of which credit cards have no forex fees.
There is no way to know because the charge stemmed from where the transaction is processed. How anyone would know where a company processed its transaction until after the fact?

My neighbor purchased a pair of tickets from JetBlue for a trip that JetBlue MIA-JFK, then EI JFK-DUB-VIE. All marketed and sold by JetBlue, yet she was hit by 3% fores fee because EI processed the portion of tickets from its office.
She even has a C1 card to use for boot, but she uses her discover card or citi card I forgot which, but a 3% card.

Like I said before, the ONLY way to avoid this is to use the 0% forex card when in doubt.

Common themes seem to be US-based airlines for flights originating from outside US, in the case of DL. But I never read about AA has billing outside US for purchases made on AA site, for example. Hotels are really simple - the billing currency would readily tell you where the transaction is processed. OTA it depends. Expedia/Travelocity/Orbitz/Priceline/Booking.com should be no forex if going thru their US sites. Going thru their international sites, of course you are charged. Sometimes you would have to go thru the international sites to get the deals, be it a Expedia coupon or a particular mistake fare... Then you should know better that it would be 3% forex fee. Or if you book hotels from Wotif, Venere, Asia Room etc chances are they process their transactions outside US because they are foreign companies. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of travel providers out there that one may book service from.

Bottom line, it is simply an impossible task to assemble such a data base. Besides, it is really COMMON SENSE which would really be 95% correct in most cases.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 6:08 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
There is no way to know because the charge stemmed from where the transaction is processed. How anyone would know where a company processed its transaction until after the fact?

My neighbor purchased a pair of tickets from JetBlue for a trip that JetBlue MIA-JFK, then EI JFK-DUB-VIE. All marketed and sold by JetBlue, yet she was hit by 3% fores fee because EI processed the portion of tickets from its office.
She even has a C1 card to use for boot, but she uses her discover card or citi card I forgot which, but a 3% card.

Like I said before, the ONLY way to avoid this is to use the 0% forex card when in doubt.

Common themes seem to be US-based airlines for flights originating from outside US, in the case of DL. But I never read about AA has billing outside US for purchases made on AA site, for example. Hotels are really simple - the billing currency would readily tell you where the transaction is processed. OTA it depends. Expedia/Travelocity/Orbitz/Priceline/Booking.com should be no forex if going thru their US sites. Going thru their international sites, of course you are charged. Sometimes you would have to go thru the international sites to get the deals, be it a Expedia coupon or a particular mistake fare... Then you should know better that it would be 3% forex fee. Or if you book hotels from Wotif, Venere, Asia Room etc chances are they process their transactions outside US because they are foreign companies. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of travel providers out there that one may book service from.

Bottom line, it is simply an impossible task to assemble such a data base. Besides, it is really COMMON SENSE which would really be 95% correct in most cases.
hmm... I guess there is no simple solution, but thanks for the help response!
Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:56 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Thanks Happy. Can I suggest these "rules" of thumb:

In person purchase at card terminal: No foreign transaction fee
US local internet businesses: No foreign transaction fee
US airline on flights wholly in US: No foreign transaction fee (hopefully)
US hotel billing in USD: No foreign transaction fee (I won't be 100% sure about a foreign chain such as Accor billing in USD)
US online travel agent such as Expedia/Travelocity/Orbitz/Priceline/Booking.com billing in USD on US site: No foreign transaction fee
Paypal to US merchant: No foreign transaction fee
Non-US online travel agent: Foreign transaction fee may be applicable
Non-US airline: Foreign transaction fee may be applicable
Paypal to foreign merchant: Foreign transaction fee may be applicable

It does seem a foreign transaction fee-free card is needed for the last three categories of transactions. No USD miles earn can justify 3% in additional fees.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
Although I disagree with the terminology I admit to being mistaken about Amex's fees on its own cards. Yes OP may get hit by foreign transaction fees on BA purchase even if denominated on USD - apologies.

In fact, it has happened to other FTers before: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-abroad.html#7
Just want to provide an update that I was not charged any foreign transaction fee on my Amex Gold Biz card for the tickets I purchased on BA.com. The reason could also be that the transaction was run within US boundary, which we will never be able to confirm. However, I would trust Amex more than Citi for any transaction I make.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Billed from CX in Lantau. Did you get a line detail like this from Citi?

xx/06/2012 CATHAY PACIFIC TICKETING HONG KONG HK HKD 712.41 DR USD 90.00 DR

(This is my MPO redemption list clearing fee, which I must pay in USD despite being a HK-based MPO member with a HKD credit card. When I paid with my CX HK Amex, it used to even say Lantau HK specifically).
CX Marco Polo just billed me a USD-denominated fee (US$120) in HKD (HK$936, which is US$120 at the peg rate of 7.8). Biller is now "CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS - TSUEN WAN HK".

"xx/10/2012. CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS - TSUEN WAN HK. HKD. 936.00.DR HKD. 936.00.DR"

I dunno whether this is another cost-saving move on CX's part but actually the rate (7.8, peg) is better than the rate I would otherwise get from the credit card company (around 7.92). I lose miles because it's not USD-denominated however.

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 5, 2014 at 12:04 pm
Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: Thai
Anyone that travels internationally frequently soon learns to get a Credit Card without these fees. I got a CapitalOne card which I use solely for ticket purchases and international Hotel charges.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Cameron38
Anyone that travels internationally frequently soon learns to get a Credit Card without these fees. I got a CapitalOne card which I use solely for ticket purchases and international Hotel charges.
The issue is while the card issuers in the U.S. start eliminating FTF, a lot of places still have the fee existed and go to next level. For example, 4-5% in HKG.

So getting a card without FTF is good, only if you can find one.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:41 am

Foreign Transaction Fee on CX USA booking?

Hi. I am planning to book a flight from NYC to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific USA website. I have two credit cards: Amex Blue Cash and Chase Freedom. Will there be foreign transaction fees incurred?

Anyone has prior experience? Please help.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
Originally Posted by anxydavid
Hi. I am planning to book a flight from NYC to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific USA website. I have two credit cards: Amex Blue Cash and Chase Freedom. Will there be foreign transaction fees incurred?

i haven't made a direct booking on cx's site in a long time but know when transferring mileage from one acct to another i do get hit with a fx fee on my amex. best bet is to use a card that has no fx fees to make sure. i typically have my agent book all my cx flights which do not incurr the potential fx cc fees.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: CX Silver

If you are booking a ticket that originates from the US, there shouldn't be any FX fees as the ticket will be in USD. However, if you book a ticket originating from a foreign country, it will be ticketed in the local currency. If you don't have a card that has a $0 foreign exchange fee, then there will be one. I believe on Cathay's website, if you use a Visa/Mastercard, it offers to bill you in USD for a % fee. Last I check I think it's close to 3%.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I'm pretty sure I was charged transaction fee when I booked on CX.com (not CXUSA.com) couple years back, using my SPG Amex. I don't know if the USA website would have made a difference. I now always use one that doesn't charge exchange fee.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles

There is no "fees" if your eTicket is purchased from 'Cathay Pacific USA website' and using an US Bank Credit Card. I do that all the time........
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by JohnGreat
There is no "fees" if your eTicket is purchased from 'Cathay Pacific USA website' and using an US Bank Credit Card. I do that all the time........
The USA website has it's transaction center in California
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by JohnGreat
Are you using a foreign transaction fee-free card?

Because I've a 2012 post that suggests Cathay Pacific USA's website *does* trigger a FTF charge http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ction-fee.html

And I've a recent USD charge from CX in HK (USD denominated card) - asiamiles.com transaction not CX USA website; however this proves they can still charge USD out of HK if they want to:

Post Date Transaction Date Description Foreign Currency Amount Amount (USD)
10 Apr 2014 07 Apr 2014 SALES: CATHAYPACAIR 1010 HONG KONG HK 90.00

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 5, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.