Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Question regarding upgrading to business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 9:59 pm
G4L
Original Poster

My gf sprained her ankle 2-3 months ago and just had the cast removed yesterday. We are flying to Hong Kong from Toronto in 2 days for her sister's wedding but she is very worried that she will be very uncomfortable sitting in economy class for a long period of time. Called cathay and asked if we can move her to one of the seats in front of the plane and near the door but they said no.

Now I am not asking if it is possible for an free upgrade as i know its solely based on luck but is it possible to ask the lady at the ticket counter whether my girlfriend can get upgraded to business class for a reduced cost due to unforeseen circumstances? If he/she says yes then do you guys know how much will it cost me to upgrade her to business class?

Just as an FYI we bought the two tickets through her dad as his employers has certain perks like discounted plane tickets and as a result. Not sure if this matters as well but her dad has an Asia Miles card and travels almost twice a year between toronto and hong kong.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:04 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Have you asked about purchasing an extra legroom seat?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by sxc
I agree - try purchasing an extra legroom seat.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
If you've not yet started the journey, it might make more sense to pay for an upgrade to Premium Economy. There's quite a bit more legroom compared to normal Economy and it would make a difference.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:48 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by G4L
Now I am not asking if it is possible for an free upgrade as i know its solely based on luck but is it possible to ask the lady at the ticket counter whether my girlfriend can get upgraded to business class for a reduced cost due to unforeseen circumstances? If he/she says yes then do you guys know how much will it cost me to upgrade her to business class?

Just as an FYI we bought the two tickets through her dad as his employers has certain perks like discounted plane tickets and as a result. Not sure if this matters as well but her dad has an Asia Miles card and travels almost twice a year between toronto and hong kong.
You are welcome to ask...but the answers will be

"No" and "No" (to the two questions in the first paragraph). The cost of going to biz class is the fare difference, you're not going to be given a break due to a sprained ankle.

And no, unfortunately the things you point out in the second paragraph don't matter either.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:36 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc
Safety requirements for occupying an Extra-legroom Seat.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...oomseat#Safety

I don't know wheter he ankle situation satisfies this requirement and others, or not.

* Be able to promptly reach, lift and throw open the exit door in an emergency;
Old Jun 18, 2012, 4:44 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Strange the OP did not know if his GF sprained her ankle 8 or 13 weeks ago? I would Hazzard a Guess that "The Sprained Ankle" Apologue is in the Top 5 Upgrade requests at check-in. Also could not Frequent Flyer Daddy transfer some of his Miles into her Family Group and get her an upgrade.

Last edited by UncleDude; Jun 18, 2012 at 4:54 am
Old Jun 18, 2012, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu

I don't know wheter he ankle situation satisfies this requirement and others, or not.

I'm not sure - I think in this situation it would depend on a doctor's certificate if they find out about what happened. About CX giving reduced cost for upgrading travel class - no way. CX are known to reject almost any reason for these types of things.

Last edited by comcats; Jun 18, 2012 at 4:53 am Reason: Realised that she had her ankle cast removed already
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu

Forgot about that - it seems purchasing an extra legroom seat is not an option.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by G4L
We are flying to Hong Kong from Toronto in 2 days for her sister's wedding but she is very worried that she will be very uncomfortable sitting in economy class for a long period of time.
Ouch. From YYZ to HKG in two days? You're running into HK students' return home peak season, with their mothers (am I right?). That just stuffs things up.

If it wasn't that high demand then perhaps the easy way out is to find a row of three for your GF for any time the seat belt sign isn't on. No chance now.

And yes you and your GF are gonna be hemmed in like sardines. Feeling the impulse to kill your sister in law-to be now for scheduling a wedding smack in the middle of peak travel season?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:13 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by QRC3288
"No" and "No" (to the two questions in the first paragraph). The cost of going to biz class is the fare difference, you're not going to be given a break due to a sprained ankle.
Are there tickets that cannot be upgraded even for full fare difference?

OP mentioned he bought a contract discount fare.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
apart from Premium Economy (if it's on your flight), what about purchasing a second seat (using that contract/discount fare) for medical reasons?

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en..._services_fees

Extra Seat For Personal Comfort or Medical Reason

The additional charge for a 2nd seat requested by a passenger must not be less than the applicable fare paid by the passenger for the 1st seat.

my guess is that purchasing a second seat would be cheaper than upgrading to business class.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by percysmith
Are there tickets that cannot be upgraded even for full fare difference?

OP mentioned he bought a contract discount fare.
Although I'm not familiar, indeed it could be possible! In that case there isn't much the op-up can do. However, from the OP's tone I don't think paying the full fare difference is something on the table, regardless.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
my guess is that purchasing a second seat would be cheaper than upgrading to business class.
That's correct but if the OP has a a leg problem I'm not sure what benefit a second Y seat would provide as the legroom does not change.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by midlevels
That's correct but if the OP has a a leg problem I'm not sure what benefit a second Y seat would provide as the legroom does not change.
The OP's girlfriend might benefit from some extra "stretching space" if the next seat is empty - she can stretch her affected leg sideways (which I find quite nice when I'm in Y - having rather short legs myself), or she can place a bag under the seat next to her and use it as a foot rest.

As far as I know (me being no orthopaedic surgeon ), ankle "sprains" usually heal in a few weeks? A sprain lasting "2-3 months" sounds like something more serious.

And since the injury is an "ankle sprain", my assumption is that she probably doesn't need to stretch her legs fully straight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.