Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 3:02 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
SCB AE expiry date

Received my new SCB AE, as my old one expires next month

But just noticed the expiry date is only up to 03/13 - does this mean SCB's gonna shut down the SCB AE for good?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:29 pm

Status check

Hi

Just want to get a status check as to my current state of play and if there is anything I could change.

Day to day I use the following cards:

- Local spend: DBS Amex or where Amex not accepted SCB VI

- Overseas spend: SCB Amex or where Amex is not accepted Fubon Plat.

Looking at the first page, I think I have enough coverage, however am thinking about doing the following things:

- AAVS: set up with my SCB VI (or should I apply for Bankcomm Diamond Dual Currency Card). I see there is a welcome offer for the Unionpay, is that the same as the Dual Currency (FYI tried clicking on the link but it didn't work).

- Supermarket: Get Citibank Rewards Plat (I presently have Citi Premiermiles, but that is going to be churned, got a letter from them saying if I don't use the card by the end of April they will cancel the card. Also, would I be able to obtain the welcome offer).

- Mobile phone bill by autopay: Citibank Rewards Plat (would that also apply to my HKBN broadband)

- Other bill payments: If over HK$300 and on the weekend on my Fubon Plat.

Also on an aside, been reading on the Amex Plat charge card and free travel insurance. Just want to check is that for everyone or just the main card holder (i.e. would want it to cover the missus as well). I know its invite only, but curious, how much does it cost per year?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:38 pm

hi theworld

Local spend to DBS OK
Overseas spend to SCB AE OK
AAVS to Bankcomm Diamond if you have it or SCB VI otherwise OK
Supermarket, mobile and HKBN to Citibank Rewards OK
Other bill to Fubon Plat OK

Your combos are almost optimal. Sure you don't want a card for dining?

Plat Charge covers spouse
$5,500 a year less $1,000 in supermarket coupons if you charge ard $200K/year to it.

Bankcomm Diamond Dual Currency == Bankcomm Unionpay. kaka pls update welcome offer link http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/...0007d21c39RCRD
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
hi theworld

Local spend to DBS OK
Overseas spend to SCB AE OK
AAVS to Bankcomm Diamond if you have it or SCB VI otherwise OK
Supermarket, mobile and HKBN to Citibank Rewards OK
Other bill to Fubon Plat OK

Your combos are almost optimal. Sure you don't want a card for dining?

Plat Charge covers spouse
$5,500 a year less $1,000 in supermarket coupons if you charge ard $200K/year to it.

Bankcomm Diamond Dual Currency == Bankcomm Unionpay. kaka pls update welcome offer link http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/...0007d21c39RCRD
Thanks mate, you are a star.

Presently don't have Bankcomm, worth getting? Would also be applying for Citibank Rewards Plat.

I think Amex Plat isn't really worth it for me.

As for dining, from the list I think the Shacomm is probably the best. In reality I don't want to get and carry another card just for dining. Most places take my DBS Amex as it is.

Oh, edit to add, I've got about HK$30k in Salaries tax to pay in April. Would I be able to use the Fubon for that?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:09 pm

Bankcomm - depends how much Octopus you use. Is it really worth getting a card for that? I have 15K Octopus recharges a year and the difference between Bankcomm and SCB PB VI is only 500 miles. But if you also have China spending, then the card's great.

Dining - fine. I don't have a Citibank Rewards either cos I don't do the shopping.

$xxK - lucky you.
Fubon tax payment - you may use it. No fees but no points or rebates either.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 28, 2012 at 11:22 pm
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:20 pm

Bankcomm - depends how much Octopus you use. Is it really worth getting a card for that? I have 15K Octopus recharges a year and the difference between Bankcomm and SCB PB VI is only 500 miles. But if you also have China spending, then the card's great.

Dining - fine. I don't have a Citibank Rewards either cos I don't do the shopping.

$30K - lucky you.
Fubon tax payment - you may use it. No fees but no points or rebates either.
OK, yep, probably about the same as you for Octopus in that case. No real China spending actually.

$30k is just the 25%, I've already paid off 75%! If I'm getting nothing from using a CC (apart from delaying actual payment by a month) then don't really see the need in using a cc.

Thanks again!

I guess in that case I should just get a Citibank Rewards card for my shopping and certain bill spend and then for the rest of my bills make sure I pay them on the weekend with Fubon.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by theworld
I've already paid off 75%! If I'm getting nothing from using a CC (apart from delaying actual payment by a month) then don't really see the need in using a cc.
I mean lucky you to be such a high earner...
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Received my new SCB AE, as my old one expires next month

But just noticed the expiry date is only up to 03/13 - does this mean SCB's gonna shut down the SCB AE for good?
I also received mine in Jan 2012, with expiry date of Feb 2013. I called them up and asked the same question, i.e. whether SCB AE will be gone for good. The agent did not seem to understand my question and instead she replied that I will be sent a new card before the expiry date of Feb 2013.

It's indeed quite odd for them to issue a new card that just has 1 year of validity.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Originally Posted by theworld
Thanks mate, you are a star.

Presently don't have Bankcomm, worth getting? Would also be applying for Citibank Rewards Plat.

I think Amex Plat isn't really worth it for me.

As for dining, from the list I think the Shacomm is probably the best. In reality I don't want to get and carry another card just for dining. Most places take my DBS Amex as it is.

Oh, edit to add, I've got about HK$30k in Salaries tax to pay in April. Would I be able to use the Fubon for that?
At the moment, I use the BankComm CUP as an alternative to DBS Black. My wife's OG clinic does not accept AE, so, I am charging all the maternity-related expenses to BankComm CUP (since they are all > HK$300).

For me, the ShaComm card is just for dining (again, AE may not be that well accepted in dining outlets in HKG).

As for taxes, I already prepay mine in January using ShaComm card and had gotten the bonus pts for it too this month.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
At the moment, I use the BankComm CUP as an alternative to DBS Black. My wife's OG clinic does not accept AE, so, I am charging all the maternity-related expenses to BankComm CUP (since they are all > HK$300).
I have yet to see a clinic that takes AE, but I don't do maternity yet.

We spend a bucketload at HK Sanitarium outpatient these few months but they take AE and CUP. Too bad there isn't any promo going for either hospital spending specifically or spending target in general (e.g. 3X).
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
DBS Amex

Perhaps slightly OT but since it stops me using one of the better cards for local spending, worth asking. Every card I have works fine wherever I want to use them (as long as they're accepted there)...except for the DBS Amex card. It's been going on for quite a while and I'm on my 5th replacement card from them (and they're about to send me the 6th) but in recent weeks it's been rejected at car hire places in London and Florida, restaurants and bars in Hong Kong (after which I changed the card yet again), and yesterday at a cinema box office in Hong Kong as the first transaction on the new (and newly-activated the day before) card. It also got rejected for an American Airlines transaction in Tokyo even though DBS sent me the usual message telling me that a transaction had taken place on my card; it hadn't and AA made me use a regular Amex to get the transaction completed (I made DBS credit me with the foregone Asia Miles under threat of just chopping up the card forever but I'd honestly rather earn them by using their card rather than by it being rejected). My wife's card works fine 99.9% of the time but even she was panicked by a phone call from DBS about her card having failed to buy some urgent Air Canada tickets earlier that day (which we assumed had been completed satisfactorily at the time), and she rushed home only to discover the eticket sitting in her inbox and AC wondering why she was worried when she called them to find out what was going on.

I never reach my credit limit with them, always pay the bill on time by Autopay (about $70k a month), every other card I carry in the same wallet works fine, my wife's card works fine, DBS assure me that there is nothing wrong with the account at all - and yet I'm reluctant to even take my DBS card out of my wallet for fear of embarrassment when it's turned down yet again. So I certainly miss out on miles-earning opportunities with DBS. DBS' explanations range from "it wasn't declined but the merchant swiped the card wrong" (several times - and then swiped my wife's card correctly?) to "it wasn't declined but the merchant needed to ask for additional approvals" (despite DBS telling me that the transaction was approved). Their card is never at fault in their view:-) And yet each of these transactions has the same effect as the card being declined - no Asia Miles for me, embarrassment, irritation and time wasted.

Does anyone else have this problem with DBS or am I just unlucky with them? If they didn't offer the best AM-earning opportunities locally I'd give it up but I feel the need to persevere :-)
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Moscowflyer
Perhaps slightly OT but since it stops me using one of the better cards for local spending, worth asking. Every card I have works fine wherever I want to use them (as long as they're accepted there)...except for the DBS Amex card. It's been going on for quite a while and I'm on my 5th replacement card from them (and they're about to send me the 6th) but in recent weeks it's been rejected at car hire places in London and Florida, restaurants and bars in Hong Kong (after which I changed the card yet again), and yesterday at a cinema box office in Hong Kong as the first transaction on the new (and newly-activated the day before) card. It also got rejected for an American Airlines transaction in Tokyo even though DBS sent me the usual message telling me that a transaction had taken place on my card; it hadn't and AA made me use a regular Amex to get the transaction completed (I made DBS credit me with the foregone Asia Miles under threat of just chopping up the card forever but I'd honestly rather earn them by using their card rather than by it being rejected). My wife's card works fine 99.9% of the time but even she was panicked by a phone call from DBS about her card having failed to buy some urgent Air Canada tickets earlier that day (which we assumed had been completed satisfactorily at the time), and she rushed home only to discover the eticket sitting in her inbox and AC wondering why she was worried when she called them to find out what was going on.

I never reach my credit limit with them, always pay the bill on time by Autopay (about $70k a month), every other card I carry in the same wallet works fine, my wife's card works fine, DBS assure me that there is nothing wrong with the account at all - and yet I'm reluctant to even take my DBS card out of my wallet for fear of embarrassment when it's turned down yet again. So I certainly miss out on miles-earning opportunities with DBS. DBS' explanations range from "it wasn't declined but the merchant swiped the card wrong" (several times - and then swiped my wife's card correctly?) to "it wasn't declined but the merchant needed to ask for additional approvals" (despite DBS telling me that the transaction was approved). Their card is never at fault in their view:-) And yet each of these transactions has the same effect as the card being declined - no Asia Miles for me, embarrassment, irritation and time wasted.

Does anyone else have this problem with DBS or am I just unlucky with them? If they didn't offer the best AM-earning opportunities locally I'd give it up but I feel the need to persevere :-)
I don't think I've ever had a problem with DBS Amex paying by any method. However I only use the card for local spends.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Moscowflyer

...Does anyone else have this problem with DBS or am I just unlucky with them? If they didn't offer the best AM-earning opportunities locally I'd give it up but I feel the need to persevere :-)
You're not the first. wombat_j @ hongkongcard.com also had same problem with Costco and Wal-Mart in US with DBS Black http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=3980

My SCB AE never has problems whether card-present online payment, card-present offline payment or online purchase overseas - US, Europe or Asia - seems like a DBS thing
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:47 pm

Carol Thatcher and Visa taxis

Update on the cabbies - they seem to be going backward.

I ordered an Visa Fly Taxi from my girlfriend's place last night. Her's isn't the easiest of places to get a Visa cab, it took me about 7 mins to go through plus another 7 to wait for the cab. Then again, nothing else is really gonna be faster.

The cabbie that took me had taken me home before "you were OTing from XXX co last month, right?". But I don't recognise his cab.

Firstly, he's taken down the "wings" on top of the taxi. I've noticed this on other cabs, the cabbie explained the wings ate up fuel. At first I thought this sounded fair enough, until I noticed the other thing.

More importantly, I realised he's taken down his "We accept Visa" and the red Autotaxi roundel decal. I asked why - surely this made his cab more difficult to identify as a Visa-taking cab? His response "we don't want to offer Visa unless you've pre-ordered it". Now I get it - they only want to accept Visa when they think its worth their while, like my cross-harbour co to home trips and my $150 girlfriend to home trips. Otherwise (e.g. taxi rank, flag on the street), they want cash like any other cab.

The driver added - "we don't want a 1% impost like the Octopus taxis. If autotaxi imposes it, the Visa card machines will go". I believe this will occur near the end of the year - Dah Sing can't fee-waive the Autotaxi's credit card interchange (merchant fee) indefinitely.

I related the discussion to my girlfriend the next day - "now my dear, won't you be a little less upset if you took one of those 20% discount cabs like I told you to?". I asked her to pass me the number, I better follow up.
This morning I finally managed to flag down a Visa Autotaxi in the street for the first time. And my ride was pretty long - $104.5.

I pocketed my Premiermiles long before he stopped and offered it for payment. Lo and behold the Visa machine is broken. As the 20% Dah Sing deal is gone now and I'm really only arguing over 13 miles I paid up in cash and left.

I don't intend to re-enact Carol Thatcher:

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Iron-Lady,-The.html

CAROL OOV
Can I suggest you remove the sticker from the back of your car.

Margaret looks through the net curtains and sees CAROL THATCHER[early 50's] just visible stepping out of a taxi, remonstrating with the driver, clutching her purse and waving her credit card at him with rising irritation.

CAROL OOV (CONT'D)
Well then take the sticker off! I call that false advertising! I would say keep the change, but there isn't any change.

CAROL
Hello Ma. Bloody taxi driver. Wouldn't take my card. I said don't have a sticker saying you take Visa and then insist on cash. Can you believe it? I was rummaging around the bottom of my bag. He didn't get a tip.
I did rummage through my wallet finding exact change for my cabbie this morn.

I'm now convinced Visa cabs will invariably dishonour Visa payment if we flag them down instead of ordering. If we can only use Visa on Autotaxis we ordered then it's not worth our effort - we might as well order "80% taxis" (八折的) and get 20% off. I won't post the 八折的 numbers up (FT rules) but PM me if interested.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 4, 2012 at 3:55 am
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:40 pm

Anyone here successfully churned the CX Amex card? thinking of using to purchase my ticket online then cancel and apply again, I need to wait one year after cancel date to get the welcome offers? thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.