Search

Economy special versus Economy Core

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Economy special versus Economy Core

Just puzzled with this.

YYZ-KUL fares for travel in Feb. Before fees and taxes, Economy Special is $1124 and Economy Core is $2055. What's the benefits for booking Economy Core besides paying a few hundred bucks more? On the site, the benefits of Economy Special is better than Economy Core; Economy Special fares allow upgrade using Asiamiles while Economy Core does not.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Posted question when I couldn't locate a similar topic using 'Search Forum'. I found a similar question when I did a search using google.

No difference was the conclusion in that thread. I find it rather strange that they are offering a fare that is 80 percent more than the lowest fare with no benefits (based on the website info).
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: Who cares about your car rental elite status?
I looked up the same today. Cathay Pacific's website shows under their Fare Rules that Economy Special (S) from US is not eligible to accrue Asia Miles.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...ry?market=USWW

Last edited by divemtt; Jan 11, 2012 at 3:19 pm Reason: Added link to info
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
flexibility, change rules, miles earning...they have a "show" tab that shows the differences between tickets on the page you're selecting times for flights
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: MPC GR, GC Jade, OZ DM, MVP GO, AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Diamond, Marriot Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
like others have said on the post.
Getting Asia Miles vs Not getting any is the biggest differences, and along with flexibility to changes.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by salfcl
Just puzzled with this. On the site, the benefits of Economy Special is better than Economy Core; Economy Special fares allow upgrade using Asiamiles while Economy Core does not.
Either you're reading it wrongly, or there is a typo. Economy special is usually "S" fare, which means: a.) you cannot accrue Asia Miles on the fare, and b.) the fare is not upgradable.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Either you're reading it wrongly, or there is a typo. Economy special is usually "S" fare, which means: a.) you cannot accrue Asia Miles on the fare, and b.) the fare is not upgradable.
The OP is correct. This is the link for YYZ-KUL :

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...rket=CAHKCNSEA
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Go
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...king/faretypes
Select Canada (Opener residence)

Fare to Australia, Johannesburg: Economy Special Mileage Eligible
Fare to Hong Kong, China, Japan, Korea & Southeast Asia: Economy Special Mileage Eligible
Fare to India, Middle East, Colombo: No Economyy Special Fare

I checked ex-JPN fare also, ALL Economy Special Fares are Mileage eligible.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by marcuslai
The OP is correct. This is the link for YYZ-KUL :

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...rket=CAHKCNSEA
Thanks for the link. It seems a little odd to me....I'm not exactly sure miles upgrade would be allowed, because that is dependent on the sub fareclass. If you click on the "Economy Special" link, it specifically says "You can upgrade using Asia Miles when booked in one of the following fare classes: K". Normally to the places I fly, I seem to recall the fares called "Economy Special" definitely are lower fare classes than K class?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
When I fly, (usually I fly in Y) I select economy special for various reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.