Search

Best lounge for CX FC departure YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Best lounge for CX FC departure YYZ

Greetings,

I have a 10 hours layover at YYZ in January, departing YYZ on CX in First. Since the weather will be too cold that time of the year, I will mostly hang out at the lounge, so the best possible one I can get into on CX First ticket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
There is one included, KLM lounge that they use for the 1:40 a.m. flight. If you have 10 hours and it is the 1:40 flight then why don't you take the flight earlier in the day? It isn't more than 10 hours earlier IIRC.

I would not spend 10 hours in that lounge and it may not even be open - it is used for KLM and a few others and the CX flight and opens for them, and I think most are in the evening. So I bet it is closed in the daytime as is the CX checkin other than for the 2 flights.

There is a paid lounge called Plaza Premium for $27 or so (look for discount coupons online) also in T3. That one is actually nicer than the KLM lounge. Free with Platinum Amex, as well.

For this layover other than trying for the other flight I'd go into Toronto for a while, of course I live here so I can do that rather easily.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
You cannot hang around the KLM lounge for that long.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I were you I would take the Airport Flyer Express Bus to the Metro line (end station) and then use Metro to get to downtown Toronto - there is an underground "city" full of activities especially during Winter time. You can also get into Malls and Department Stores without getting out on street.

It beats to kill 10 hours in YYZ.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:39 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
If you are on CX829, you can hangout in the BA lounge for the times it will be open during your 10 hour layover. I think it opens late afternoon until early evening for the 2 BA evening departures. After that you will have to transfer to KLM lounge. If you have checked baggage + no boarding pass you wont be able to check-in for the CX flight until around 4 hours when it opens.... I recommend going into Toronto for a while or perhaps a nearby hotel room.... YYZ T3 is an extremely boring place to be... and sitting in any lounge for too long will be equally boring. If you can, it would be good to try to find a different combination of flights to reduce your layover.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:31 am

Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
10 hours is way too long for YYZ T3 IMHO. I would either go into Toronto ($60 cab) or check into the Sheraton and have a nap.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
I were you I would take the Airport Flyer Express Bus to the Metro line (end station) and then use Metro to get to downtown Toronto - there is an underground "city" full of activities especially during Winter time. You can also get into Malls and Department Stores without getting out on street.

It beats to kill 10 hours in YYZ.
Happy,

Could you please tell me more about this underground "city", specifically when I get to downtown Toronto, where to go to get to this area.

Ricktoronto, sorry to mention that the trip is YYZ-HKG, and CX from my understanding only fly daily for this segment?

CX828, yes, it's CX829. Arrival from AA1252 @ 2:45pm. If I don't go out to Toronto, I definitely check out the BA lounge as you suggested.

Thank you everyone.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: FT
agree with all the others posts and a local YYZ resident. no point in staying at the airport for lounges. KLM's sucks and BA's is only open for a little time while you are there.

CX flies 2 daily flights to HKG from YYZ. yours is the 01:30 so you really do not need to be back at the airport until 12. so lots of time to go into YYZ. probably only 15-20 minutes going back that late so you can leave around 11:45pm to return...

if cost is not an issue, just take an airport limo. $56CAD each way to the Royal York hotel...from there you can walk into the PATH underground - unless on Sat/Sun since they stores are closed - and make your way underground to the Eaton Centre. for some shopping. heck, if the leafs/raptors are playing, pick up some tickets. games start at 7 and are done by 9:30-10. plenty of time to get to the airport.

you could even walk around Queen Street East - although could be cold.

for a nice dinner, if you have not been to YYZ, make a reservation to dine at the bar at Canoe - http://www.oliverbonacini.com/Canoe.aspx

not cheap but great views. PM me and I will put you in touch with my buddy who is a manager there and they will treat you very well...in my former life i was a fat cat that did way too many lunches at that place.

any other questions about the city, let us all know. lots on this board from YYZ.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Google underground city toronto, I got this link:

http://www.toronto.ca/path/

PATH is downtown Toronto's underground walkway linking 28 kilometres of shopping, services and entertainment. Follow PATH and you'll reach your downtown destination easily in weatherproof comfort.PATH is downtown Toronto's underground walkway linking 28 kilometres of shopping, services and entertainment. Follow PATH and you'll reach your downtown destination easily in weatherproof comfort......................

It even has a map for you to download. There are 1200 shops and services in the PATH!

Airport Rocket (sorry I got the name wrong) is dirt cheap at CAD 4? It goes to Kipling Station from where you can take the subway to Bloor/Young Street, right at downtown Toronto.

http://gocanada.about.com/gi/o.htm?z...&st=10&zu=http

Last edited by Happy; Dec 19, 2011 at 7:06 pm
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you mkjr. I'll keep the offer in mind

Thank you Happy for the link. Now let's the research begins
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Google underground city toronto, I got this link:

http://www.toronto.ca/path/

PATH is downtown Toronto's underground walkway linking 28 kilometres of shopping, services and entertainment. Follow PATH and you'll reach your downtown destination easily in weatherproof comfort.PATH is downtown Toronto's underground walkway linking 28 kilometres of shopping, services and entertainment. Follow PATH and you'll reach your downtown destination easily in weatherproof comfort......................

I am using this system on a daily basis to get from my house to my office without stepping a foot on the streets ^
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by vu0219
Happy,

Could you please tell me more about this underground "city", specifically when I get to downtown Toronto, where to go to get to this area.

Ricktoronto, sorry to mention that the trip is YYZ-HKG, and CX from my understanding only fly daily for this segment?

CX828, yes, it's CX829. Arrival from AA1252 @ 2:45pm. If I don't go out to Toronto, I definitely check out the BA lounge as you suggested.

Thank you everyone.

Daily yes and each of the daily days there are two flights not one. I'd consider amending your itinerary to take the afternoon one or arriving in Toronto in the evening. I would not pay limo fare round trip vs. walkling across the road at departures 20 metres and getting a room at the Sheraton. FOr probably not much more.

I don't know what the airport flyer (post above) means but the TTC (the city bus) leaves from each terminal to the Kipling subway station on the 192 Airport Rocket bus, for $3.00 (exact change) from where you can go downtown.

Most people, to shop, will go to Dundas Station on the Yonge line (NOT Dundas West on the Bloor [E-W] line) to Eaton Centre. Most of the downtown core is connected by the PATH, frankly it is pointless for non-locals to navigate and all there are in the PATH are the same stores that are in the Eaton Centre anyway. I work in a PATH building and I don't crawl the PATH vs. go to the Eaton Centre, so tourists shouldn't waste their time, either.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I am using this system on a daily basis to get from my house to my office without stepping a foot on the streets ^
You definitely need that during the long winter months when it sleets, rains, and snows!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
there are only a few buildings that are really that connected, i wonder if we live in the same one.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
You definitely need that during the long winter months when it sleets, rains, and snows!
We don't get that in YVR =)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.