Wiki Posts
Search

MPC: Moving on to the next tier...

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Club
MPC: Moving on to the next tier...

I just logged on to my MPC account this morning, and to my surprise, I'm now a silver member. What's puzzling me is that my membership year started mid Nov last year, and therefore doesn't end till Nov 30 of this year. What's even MORE puzzling is that I didn't even reach 30,000 miles yet... I was at approximately 26,000, and have two long haul trips planned (one for Aug, one for Dec) Has anyone had a similar experience? I don't see the reason for CX to move me onto the next tier so quickly??
Old May 20, 2009, 10:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
as I noted in another thread, they're lowering the re-qualification requirements by 15% for my uncle, so I guess in general they're already somewhat less strict about the 30/60/120k requirements this year, although only unofficially and in a targeted manner. and in your case, does your 26k come from mostly expensive fares or cheap fares ? if it's expensive fares, I think there's even more reason for CX to do this for you...
Old May 20, 2009, 11:24 pm

Programs: CX DM
it sounds like what happened to OP was a bump from GR to SL, and wasn't a re-qualification.

my partner had that done once .. he was a long time Green member using the account more for asiamiles than anything else .. then he flew in F YVR-HKG-YVR, and a couple months later, he was comped to SL.

i think its just an MPC marketing gimmick.
Old May 20, 2009, 11:53 pm

Just wondering.. do they reduce the qualification by Miles only? How about the sectors if travellers are usually flying intra-Asia short haul routes like HKG-TPE v.v.?
Old May 21, 2009, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Club
they were mostly inexpensive fare classes (except for one J sector). i would understand if they lowered their requirements and moved me up in november, but i'm still half a yr away from my "end of membership year". hrmm maybe it was a bump...
Old May 21, 2009, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by b-kpf
they were mostly inexpensive fare classes (except for one J sector). i would understand if they lowered their requirements and moved me up in november, but i'm still half a yr away from my "end of membership year". hrmm maybe it was a bump...
Nice to hear someone got bumped. Last year I was at 56,000 Club miles and I wasn't "bump" to Gold. I called MPC and they pretty much, in a polite way, say either get on the plane or shut up.
Old May 21, 2009, 12:37 pm

My mom went back to green card member last October. She credited about 12.5 sector (all J class between Taiwan and Hong Kong/Xiamen) between last November and this May, and CX moves her to Silver, too.
Old May 22, 2009, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by kaichun1216
My mom went back to green card member last October. She credited about 12.5 sector (all J class between Taiwan and Hong Kong/Xiamen) between last November and this May, and CX moves her to Silver, too.
12.5 to silver is much lower than 85% of 20 sectors, which is 17 sectors.. WOW...
Old May 22, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
In terms of pure revenue, I suppose she might be even surpassing what some Golds acheive given all her J class trips...
Old May 22, 2009, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by kchika
In terms of pure revenue, I suppose she might be even surpassing what some Golds acheive given all her J class trips...
And in terms of benefit, if she flies J there's not much perks (which she has the longue access anyway), and the silver is kind of "feel-good" for her to fly cathay more
Old May 22, 2009, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by kchika
Haha, I do some EX-TPE J flights, but not as often as her definitely, other times, EX-SIN flights in Y. Hopefully I can be pumped up too. ~
Old May 23, 2009, 4:31 am

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
I earned 19.5 club sectors from Jan. only 2 sectors in Y all others by J class, but not so lucky to move to Sliver.
Old May 23, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by linx823
Just wondering.. do they reduce the qualification by Miles only? How about the sectors if travellers are usually flying intra-Asia short haul routes like HKG-TPE v.v.?
in my targeted letter, both were reduced. i was about 7 sectors short (with 3 months remaining) of requalifying for silver, and they reduced the requirement by 4 sectors.

i can't remember how much my miles requirement was reduced by. probably around 4 to 5,000.
Old May 23, 2009, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by marcuslai
in my targeted letter, both were reduced. i was about 7 sectors short (with 3 months remaining) of requalifying for silver, and they reduced the requirement by 4 sectors.

i can't remember how much my miles requirement was reduced by. probably around 4 to 5,000.
Oh well, must depend on who you're talking too or Cathay's really desperate for business. Like I said last time I was 4,000 miles off of Gold and got the cold shoulder.
Old May 23, 2009, 9:11 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Oh well, must depend on who you're talking too or Cathay's really desperate for business. Like I said last time I was 4,000 miles off of Gold and got the cold shoulder.
That's pretty bad, especially in these times I would've expected you to get bumped up just 4k short.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.