Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Need Help w/ upgrades by using Amex air miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I will fly Cathay Pacific from LAX to HKG in the future. Is it possible to buy a Econ ticket and upgrade to Bus or 1st class by using Amex air miles?

Has any one done this before? can you tell me how? please!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
By "Amex air miles" do you mean Amex Membership Reward points? If so then I guess what you need to do is open an AsiaMiles account, then transfer however many Reward Points it is that you need to get the miles you need for the upgrade (40,000 AsiaMiles for a one-way upgrade, 70,000 AsiaMiles for a round trip upgrade).

But bear in mind that you can only upgrade using AsiaMiles from the more expensive economy fares (those booking into subclasses Y, B, H or K) and not from the cheapest economy fares. And that there may be no availability for upgrade bookings on the days you want to travel.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 9:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
and is your Amex card a US one ? if so Asia Miles might not be a partner ? (unless it's the Starwood Amex, then you can convert to Starpoints first then to Asia Miles)
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys, thank you very much for your replies.
Yes, it is a US Amex,
And yes, I mean Amex Membership Reward points.
I opened an Asia Miles Account yesterday already, but it's absolutly impossible to talk to a human being over there.
Is there a way to convert US Amex Reward Points --> AsiaMiles?
If they are not partners ( which i am not sure), can I convert Amex points --> ??? --> AsiaMiles?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
you need to find out first if they're partners, but I'd guess no.

I think Starwood very likely should be a partner, so it could be your "???" - but I think the conversion rate probably isn't that good...
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys, here is the update.

Finally talked to Asia Miles, not very helpful on this issue. Sent me back to Amex. Then Amex suggested That I convert Reward Points to Star Points, but the rate is very very bad, 3:1, no way! I need that for Virgin Airlines from LAX to London.

So, I've decided to open a personal starwood AE and a business one too. Hope That We will have enough miles for our trip in May. Cross my fingers.

One more question, Is there any non-Amex credit card associated with Asia Miles? Visa? MasterCard? Please!
Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes, plenty: http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/finance
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:12 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Not relevant topic in this forum but Amex Membership Rewards is pretty weak for points. SPG gives you 20k miles at signup and 25% transfer bonus to CX. So if you are traveling with a friend/spouse, each account opened gives you 25k asia miles.

Its a bit of a dance but you need to make sure the segments are available for upgrade, and then buy the more expensive "upgradeable" fare. You should also buy and redeem at the same sitting.

I just redeemed LAX-HKG-LAX "U" class for 70k or so miles (i forgot). My total cost was $1250 for the econ ticket + 56000 points (25% transfer bonus).

Each point costs me $0.015 (cashback if i used a competing cc) so the total roundtrip business class airfare came out to $1250 + $840 (points) = $2090

Definitely much easier to redeem points these days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.