Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by TalkFlyer
Just noticed on my ec-banking website of DBS Black Card:
15pt = 1AM but now u can enjoy 20% discount off on redemption,
i.e. 12pt = 1AM... sooner or later the bank will take away the discount!
We were trying to redeem the 20% online, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm trying to xfer 12,000 miles at 144,000 points instead of 180,000 points. The account has 153,000 points in it but whenever I submit the miles request, it says I don't have enough points. DBS' website is possibly the worst e-banking websites I have ever seen, so maybe it is a question of IT ineptness. Do we need to do it offline or what?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dietevil
We were trying to redeem the 20% online, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm trying to xfer 12,000 miles at 144,000 points instead of 180,000 points. The account has 153,000 points in it but whenever I submit the miles request, it says I don't have enough points. DBS' website is possibly the worst e-banking websites I have ever seen, so maybe it is a question of IT ineptness. Do we need to do it offline or what?
huh?? we all thought DBS is 12 points to a mile?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by kaka
huh?? we all thought DBS is 12 points to a mile?
The online system will only convert at 15 points a mile and won't do 12 points a mile. So do I need to it offline? Is there a form?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dietevil
The online system will only convert at 15 points a mile and won't do 12 points a mile. So do I need to it offline? Is there a form?
then i guess i'd call up. there're some service i'm still not so comfortable using the online system. when i used to transfer citipm miles i always called them...
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:00 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I was deducted 12,000 DBS Black points for 1,000 miles in January 2011 even though the redemption request said 15,000.

But I had way more points than I need for that 1,000 mile request.

For dietevil's case, I wonder should he try submitting two requests of 6,000 miles each on two separate days so it passes through the system at the time of application?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:52 pm

i just transferred 16,000 miles at 12 pts per mile from the DBS Black website 3 weeks ago and it went through without any problems, showed up on my asiamiles acc 6 days later.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:37 pm

Instructions to disarm DCC on BoC China card terminals

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...-off-6.html#86 (thanks to mnredfox)

使用中国银行POS机,具体步骤如下:

按消费键
刷卡(确定后)
输入金额(确定后,屏幕会出现连接中)
过后屏幕出现 “汇率查询”,并显示当日美元汇率(仅有一秒种时间),在此时点“取消”键(必须动作快,否则屏 幕跳转)成功后再次出现卡号和金额(只有人民币显示)
确认即可

It might be a pointless victory, with Fubon 4X due to lapse on 28 Feb 11 (update as of this morning: no news, Fubon CS may have update at the end of this week)

Also you have to either know you'll be dealing with a DCC terminal in advance or have the time to go to the cashier (if restaurant) and redo the transaction.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:21 pm

I've been giving some thought as to which card to use to replace Fubon when the 2X offer lapses.

I used a BEA for medical expenses (non-reard category) over the weekend for $8/mile (I'm churning my Citibank Premiermiles), but I've been persuaded I can do better with the SCB PB VI.

It earns $7.5/mile on all spending - retail with sales slip, bill payment and AAVS (just found out! http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=4835&p=5), and it has a fixed fee redemption (which I have to pay anyway if I'm going to realise the million points I have with the SCB AE - grouping allowed).

But I'm not transferring my AAVS cos I don't know if I can keep my SCB PB VI for more than a year.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:15 pm

Post 28 feb 2011 promotion finalised

Per Fubon CS this morning:

1. NO MORE "OTHER TRANSACTIONS" 2X

2. Plat cardholders revert to the Sat+Sun >$300 2X offer currently offered to Classic/Gold cardholders (see http://www.fubonbank.com.hk/web/html/cc_cbp00_e.html)

3. Sure Win remains ongoing

4. Overseas 4X remains ongoing

My strategy:

a. Cut card when my 14 months minimum holding period is up in March

b. Reapply in Semtember for 60K points welcome offer

c. Use only for i. Sat/Sun transactions > $300, ii. transactions where I can neatly split into $500

d. Next October, redeem all of (b) and (c) earnings.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 23, 2011 at 7:26 pm
Old Feb 23, 2011, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL/Silver, CX/DM, SPG/Plat
This is a good thread, but it has became too long and has an out-dated title. I don't have much knowledge on this topic but should someone start a new thread for 2011.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mmaddog
This is a good thread, but it has became too long and has an out-dated title. I don't have much knowledge on this topic but should someone start a new thread for 2011.
it's too late to split now...
just keep it as it is.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:50 pm

Further instructions to disarm DCC on BoC China card terminals

Version 2
① 先刷卡 》“销售”》确认》输入金额》确认

② 同时以最快的速度按“取消”,如果出现“汇率查询连接中,说明已经晚了。如果出现:汇率查询用 户取消操作, 说明正确

③ 按“确认”键,转到“消费XX金额,输入密码,按确认就可以打印出来

Version 3

用外卡刷卡消费或预授权完成时,首先刷金额,界面会出现所刷的金额,然后又会显示汇率查询(请 在这个界面出 现后按取消),这是就会直接扣除人民币账户
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:21 pm

Too bad about the Fubon Plat. I had high hopes for it...

So, Percy, are you saying that SCB PB VI is the best VISA card for AMs accrual? I want to set a default card for VISA payments as there are quite a few merchants who don't accept AE. DBS AE has become my primary AE card, with SCB AE being used for overseas transactions and travel agents.

I can't find your best cards list, but I recall you once said something about getting AMs on tax payment with one of the Shacomm cards. That's VISA, right? If I had to choose between this Shacomm (Plat? Tit?) card, Citi Rewards and Citi PM (already have this, and plan to cut hubby's Citi PM card and transfer his AAVS charge to mine) as a primary VISA card, which one would you pick? I'd really like to get some AMs on tax (it'll make me feel better for parting with that chunk of money for the govt to waste!), which is obviously a big chunk of spending, followed by dining/retail. I don't go to China often.

Thanks!

Maya
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by maya1005
Too bad about the Fubon Plat. I had high hopes for it...

So, Percy, are you saying that SCB PB VI is the best VISA card for AMs accrual? I want to set a default card for VISA payments as there are quite a few merchants who don't accept AE.
Local Visa spending, yes. Of course, DBS Black should be used over SCB PB VI if possible, for local retail spending and autopay.

DBS AE has become my primary AE card, with SCB AE being used for overseas transactions and travel agents.
Yes that's best. Of course, Shacom Plat then trumps DBS AE and SCB VI if local dining.

I can't find your best cards list
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-10.html#144

I recall you once said something about getting AMs on tax payment with one of the Shacomm cards. That's VISA, right? ...I'd really like to get some AMs on tax (it'll make me feel better for parting with that chunk of money for the govt to waste!), which is obviously a big chunk of spending, followed by dining/retail.
Shacom offer lapsed 31 Dec 2010
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-28.html#419
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=4489
Nothing earns AM on tax now. Best thing to do is to use the Dah Sing Goodies Reward and get $100 per $10,000 paid per month.

If I had to choose between this Shacomm (Plat? Tit?) card, Citi Rewards and Citi PM (already have this, and plan to cut hubby's Citi PM card and transfer his AAVS charge to mine) as a primary VISA card, which one would you pick?
SCB PB VI, even for the AAVS.
You earn $7.5/mile vs $8/mile.
Since you're already using SCB AE to rack up overseas miles points, you're paying the $300 fee anyway - you can redeem PB VI points as well as AE points at the same time.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:43 am

SCB not taking new applications for SCB AE "until further notice"!

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=4835&p=9

So SCB AE is going to be a grandfathered product like Click-A-Count and Manhattan Gold Credit Cards.

We still have the Fubon Plat if we want to earn $3/mile, but being a Visa it has DCC risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.