Wiki Posts
Search

CX lounge in Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2008, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
CX lounge in Vancouver

I looked on CX website and there is no listing for a lounge in Vancouver. We are flying J from MCI-DFW-HKG-HKT with AA award tickets on AA and CX flights. We are on CX 835 YVR-HKG with a 7 hour layover in Vancouver. We may leave the airport and go out to dinner, but what lounge do we use when we come back prior to the flight? If CX doesn't have a lounge, who does that will give us entry? Which airline lounge is the best at YVR?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi susiesan,

Details of the oneworld lounges are here;

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/loung...search#Lounges

and then use the drop down menu to select Vancouver

I did try the Cathay Pacific website and clicked on Vancouver but the page was blank

The BA Galleries ( just past Gate D64) is very nice but not sure if it stays open beyond the departure of the last BA flight ( around 2030)

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 26, 2008, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
There is indeed a CX lounge in YVR. It is accessed via an elevator in front of the left-most security line in the international departures area. It's not a big lounge, but it's got all the basics.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...e?cityCode=YVR
Old Jul 26, 2008, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Hilton Honors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
-deleted-

Last edited by G-man82; Jul 26, 2008 at 9:18 am Reason: Beat me to it.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Question can I use the BA lounge?

We arrive at YVR from DFW at 7:00pm and the CX lounge doesn't open until 9:30pm. So can we go to the BA lounge until the CX lounge opens if we don't leave the airport? I have no OW status and none of our flights are on BA, only AA or CX. It looks like CX closes their lounge at 1:30am and CX889 leaves at 2:00am. What would they do about keeping the lounge open if the flight is delayed in leaving?
If we use the CX lounge, are there showers? We'll have been traveling all day to get to YVR and it would be nice to have a before bedtime on the flight shower before boarding as we won't have time to shower in HKG as our connection to HKT is only 1 hour. If no shower at YVR that puts us at 2 days with no bathing. Yuck. At least it will be my DH sitting next to me, not a stranger who has to smell my travel odors!!

Last edited by susiesan; Nov 15, 2008 at 2:12 pm
Old Jul 26, 2008, 3:11 pm

Without OW sapphire/emerald status, you can try to get into the BA lounge, but there's no guarantee. The Access rules on the OW website are a bit ambiguous now. For elite tier members, it specifically states access to ANY oneworld lounge. For non-elite J passengers, it just says access to lounge equivalent to class of travel, not necessarily any oneworld lounge. This was brought up in the oneworld forum but the issue sort of just fizzled out, so I don't know. As for the lounge amenities, the CX website generally tells you what's in each lounge. You have access to the lounge in HKG, and I've made one hour connections before and still had time for a quick shower.

Edit: Lounge in YVR is open til 3AM. Summer hours are different.

Last edited by G-man82; Jul 26, 2008 at 3:15 pm Reason: lounge hours
Old Jul 27, 2008, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by susiesan
I looked on CX website and there is no listing for a lounge in Vancouver.
Here you go:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...e?cityCode=YVR
Old Jul 27, 2008, 8:56 am
Original Poster

winter, not summer

Originally Posted by G-man82

Edit: Lounge in YVR is open til 3AM. Summer hours are different.
It will be Nov. 21 when we are there, winter.

Last edited by susiesan; Jul 27, 2008 at 5:35 pm
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:36 am

it will be Nov. 22 when we are their, winter.
Hmm... that does present a problem. But I somehow don't see them forcing everyone out at 1:30am on the dot. I think they'll keep it open until the last person has left to board. CX does start boarding though about 20 mins before departure and J passengers can board at convenience. So you could always leave the lounge and board early. Enjoy the cabin and the champagne?
Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Don't worry, they don't close the lounge until the last flight (be it CX 835 or 889) is ready for boarding. They'll make a boarding announcement that gives you enough time to reach the gate right when they start pre-boarding, so you basically get to walk directly from the lounge, past the massed riff-raff at the gate, and right onto the plane.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 9:58 am
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
The CX lounge is actually well stocked with hot food, cold plates, desserts, snacks and lots of drinks (booze, sodas, juices etc) but it might get very crowded at night if CX 835 is delayed well into 889's timeslot. I suggest sitting at the internet cubicles, great view of the apron, very quiet and privacy.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

I never did get an answer to the question: Is there a shower at the lounge in YVR? Anyone who has passed through recently notice? The CX website for lounges has very little information on the Vancouver lounge.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 3:32 pm

I never did get an answer to the question: Is there a shower at the lounge in YVR? Anyone who has passed through recently notice? The CX website for lounges has very little information on the Vancouver lounge.
The fourth result when googling vancouver cathay lounge shower: http://www.xanga.com/rice_eric/67312...ge-at-yvr.html

Don't get too dirty between Kansas and Vancouver.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
There's no shower up there, susiesan.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 5:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
when you look at the list of "Lounge Facilities" on the right of the page that hairpeace provided, if there's shower in the lounge, it would say "Shower Facilities" (you can check the details on other lounges e.g. LHR, LAX, etc). so you can assume there's none if it's not shown on the page of the YVR lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.