Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Revised OP-Up Priority

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2008, 7:44 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
People can get op-upped even for award fare. That has not been changed. I buy mostly M and L fares (whatever the lowest fares I can get) when traveling economy. I am not qualified for mileage upgrade anymore, but I got op-upped once since then, i.e., no for mileage upgrade, yes for op-up.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
I was upgraded yesterday on CX 723,HKG-KUL, as a Oneworld Sapphire, no status at all with CX. I would have preferred it happen on 883 from LAX but I'll take what I can get. ^

Last edited by Black Adder; Feb 9, 2008 at 10:52 am
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Just for a data point - I was Op-Upped from J to F on KA last week HKG-PVG.

I had joked with a colleague during the day that it was F4 J4 Y1 at about 2PM for a 7PM flight and I was expecting (not really) an op-up. At the gate out pops the BP and I am placed in a full F cabin - row 1 as well

Sure it was no CX F but great to be up'd - I have had no others. I can only attribute it to me switching in my AA EXP (OWE) FF number rather than my QF SG (OWS) number

So now I am looking my next CX flight with glee F4 J1 but Y9... fingers crossed.

I have to say as a OWE on CX I have had exemplary service at all times on CX - even being put in row 1 on an A330 on a D fare PVG-HKG as they werent selling F on that route.

I know MP DM and others complain about OWE getting good service (and lounge access) on CX but in fairness about 1/3 of my travel budget probably goes to CX...
Old Feb 18, 2008, 8:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL, CX DM, AA LT GO, Marriott LT Titanium, Shangri-La DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM
for CX DM, I think it's actually quite easy to get upgraded J->F on HKG-PVG-HKG if you're on the "right" flights, i.e. usually the morning and evening flights, where J is usually full.

so far I'm 3/3 J->F on HKG-PVG-HKG this year and the other 2 flights I was in J because it's 2-class only. 1 of the 3 times I got upgraded already at check-in while the other 2 at the gate. for 1 of this at-the-gate upgrade, my boss who's DMP got upgraded earlier at check-in already.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by simongr
I know MP DM and others complain about OWE getting good service (and lounge access) on CX but in fairness about 1/3 of my travel budget probably goes to CX...
I did not complain. If I do not get an op-up, I am pretty confident that neither do you.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by tedhl
for CX DM, I think it's actually quite easy to get upgraded J->F on HKG-PVG-HKG if you're on the "right" flights, i.e. usually the morning and evening flights, where J is usually full.

so far I'm 3/3 J->F on HKG-PVG-HKG this year and the other 2 flights I was in J because it's 2-class only. 1 of the 3 times I got upgraded already at check-in while the other 2 at the gate. for 1 of this at-the-gate upgrade, my boss who's DMP got upgraded earlier at check-in already.
I always thought that in order to get to DMP, one always has to purchase F all the time anyway, and hence needs not be op-upped. I guess I was wrong.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by addicted747
I have always thought the above and to be honest I'm completely fed up with BA gold card holders being treated like kings on CX whilst Diamond card holders receive nothing form BA, AA in my experience. No greeting or acknowledgement of ones status, bad service, no priority luggage and way down the list on op ups (below BA silver). I have been refused entry to a BA first class lounge and asked to pay for an orange juice in the AA lounge.

I blame Cathay for this as it is only they who can put the pressure on BA etc to sort this out, unfortunately at the end of the day this just leads to a stalemate but as it is CX Diamonds have very little anyway and at least CX are making the gold members happy who could easily choose BA or other Airlines if they don't see the odd upgrade.
Your case is a bit extreme. I can get into F lounge without showing my Emerald card.

I was greeted by the ISM on my last LHR-HKG in BA Club (once only in my experience). I doubt whether it is because my score is not low in their system (2nd LHR-HKG in BA Club in a month time).
Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:32 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Hilton Honors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Question: in another thread that's still active around here, though I forget which, Guy Betsy said that OWE is ahead of CX Gold in terms of op-up priority, but sometimes CX will op-up Gold ahead of OWE. I thought this new revised op-up priority put Golds and CX Staff ahead of Oneworld?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 7:40 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL, CX DM, AA LT GO, Marriott LT Titanium, Shangri-La DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I always thought that in order to get to DMP, one always has to purchase F all the time anyway, and hence needs not be op-upped. I guess I was wrong.
he does fly a combination of long-haul F/J (maybe 50/50?), and short-haul mostly J. but he does fly often, maybe at least one long-haul per month, and weekly short-hauls otherwise.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 7:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by simongr

Not trying to be judgemental, but based on your justification before, surely the travel budget is actually from your company and not from your own pocket. Also from your claim that you add so much value to the company and shareholders to justify you to sit in F and J I am intriged to see what line of work do you do.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:25 pm

Not sure how that is relevant and I don't see why I need to justify my travel class. In the "war for talent" my expectation that anyone with a professional qualification that I wanted to attract to the business I was working in would be offered J class travel (my F has either been an anomaly due to very short notice chanegs and being able to get discounts, US Domestic F as part of a DONE4 or certificate/points upgrades).

I always find it amusing that people focus on the poor value for shareholders of employees flying in J but not on the very high salaries that people must earn to travel in paid J out of their own pocket.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 8:42 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
Op-Up Formula

Hi All. Speaking of Op-Ups I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to how this works....I was on a flight HKG-LHR on CX J. The flight status was

F4, J0 CO DO IO Y9 H9 etc.

I was quiet surprised to not see my self op-up as a CXDM, I would have thought a flight looking like that was a 95% sure chance.

Has anyone out there understood a basic formula that helps me choose which could be good candiates for "the right flight" ?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:00 pm

Is the Op-Up situation on CX usually due to overselling J or Y. I thought for someone like QF for example the op-ups J->F generally arose because they were on Y0 and had oversold Y pushing people into J and thus pushing people into F if J was full.

In your example perhaps they had not oversold J?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CXDM
Hi All. Speaking of Op-Ups I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to how this works....I was on a flight HKG-LHR on CX J. The flight status was

F4, J0 CO DO IO Y9 H9 etc.

I was quiet surprised to not see my self op-up as a CXDM, I would have thought a flight looking like that was a 95% sure chance.

Has anyone out there understood a basic formula that helps me choose which could be good candiates for "the right flight" ?
If your flight is full in BOTH Y and J,your chance of J to F op up should be bigger. Although it shows J-I 0,in my experience,the J cabin might end up with 1 or 2 empty seats due to some noshows or fake bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.