Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2007, 6:28 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Birthday card

It's my birthday this month...and I received a card from Cathay Pacific. It's quite a unique card - a large cardboard rectangle which is a picture of a piece of luggage, and physically tied to the cardboard is a plastic baggage tag, similar size to the the marco polo baggage tags. The tag says Happy Birthday, and it is personally signed by KK Leung.

I think they forgot to include the complimentary upgrade coupon.

Is this new? Is this something they send only to Diamonds?
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:21 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer Gold / Hilton Hhonour Diamond / Starwood SPG Gold / CX Former Gold, now Green
I have birthday this month. Receive nothing. I am not Diamond though, only Gold.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:42 am

Programs: MPO
I received my birthday card on CX 828 from the FAs,i was upgraded to J and they gave me a bottle of champagne as my birthday gift, and when i started my IFE there was a "happy birthday" on screen.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I believe MPC also sends birthday cards to Gold members (depending on the location probably), but just a plain one.

Upgrade coupons - haha! According to others in this forum, and also my friend who flew on his birthday before, they op-up passengers on their birthdays. However, I never flew on my birthday. I do hope to receive a upgrade coupon though.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by ckbun
I received my birthday card on CX 828 from the FAs,i was upgraded to J and they gave me a bottle of champagne as my birthday gift, and when i started my IFE there was a "happy birthday" on screen.
That sounds really nice! ^
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:38 am

Programs: MPC Gold, SPG Gold, Silver HHonors, UA Prem Exec.
Yep, That happened to me, I got upgraded on my birthday from SIN to HKG.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 1:30 am

Programs: MP Diamond
Got my b-day coming up next week. Will have to make sure I find myself booked onto a 3 class plane on the day in question.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Apparently it is because this past December went and past us and as a CX Gold I never got a birthday card.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:56 pm

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
I was recently on a AKL-HKG flight and was upgraded to business. Passenger next to me was student on her way back to HK to see her parents for the holidays. Assumed she had rich parents but about half an hour before the end of the flight the cabin crew all gathered round, gave her a box of chocolates and wished her 'happy birthday'. it was very sweet of them.

I assume my neighbour had received a birthday upgrade. A couple of years ago it happened to me too (no chocolates but one of the most expensive birthday presents I've had).
Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:45 am

Programs: CX, BA
Got same card on about a week prior to b-day. Was also travelling to NRT on actual b-day (with wife + kid for short break). At checkin, was offered an upgrade to J since it was my b-day but declined it since couldn't quite leave the family behind in Y.

On flight itself, whether you get any 'special' treatment flying on your b-day wholly depends on crew. One year got offered a bottle of champagne or wine + chocolates but this time, nothing...not even a greeting from the ISM.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I did make a BKK turnaround on my birthday this year. The ground staff and crews on 713 seemed not noticed there is a birthday passenger. However on the way back on 702,the ground staff greeted me and op upped me and I received a birthday card (not much different from a blank card) and a bottle of champagne. Is this(only upgrade 1 birthday member one sector on one day) the policy of CX?
Old Jul 29, 2007, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gambler
Got same card on about a week prior to b-day. Was also travelling to NRT on actual b-day (with wife + kid for short break). At checkin, was offered an upgrade to J since it was my b-day but declined it since couldn't quite leave the family behind in Y.

On flight itself, whether you get any 'special' treatment flying on your b-day wholly depends on crew. One year got offered a bottle of champagne or wine + chocolates but this time, nothing...not even a greeting from the ISM.
Isn't it a must for ISM to greet DM even they are sitting in EY? As I know,they should do this to GO too,but they mostly ignore this on regional flights.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:26 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by ny911
Isn't it a must for ISM to greet DM even they are sitting in EY? As I know,they should do this to GO too,but they mostly ignore this on regional flights.
I do not know whether that is a must, but I have been greeted almost on all flights, now even on KA flights.

When I was Gold, I also get greetings often on short haul and business, but seldom on long haul.

I suppose it is a good gesture to greeting the b-day person regardless of the status. There are just so few who will spend their birthdays on flights. I never flew on my birthday.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I do not know whether that is a must, but I have been greeted almost on all flights, now even on KA flights.

When I was Gold, I also get greetings often on short haul and business, but seldom on long haul.

I suppose it is a good gesture to greeting the b-day person regardless of the status. There are just so few who will spend their birthdays on flights. I never flew on my birthday.
So far I was never greeted by ISM on short haul (in Y and op up to J on my b'day). However this year ISMs greeted me everytime on LHR Y.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 3:18 am

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
Originally Posted by ny911
I did make a BKK turnaround on my birthday this year. The ground staff and crews on 713 seemed not noticed there is a birthday passenger. However on the way back on 702,the ground staff greeted me and op upped me and I received a birthday card (not much different from a blank card) and a bottle of champagne. Is this(only upgrade 1 birthday member one sector on one day) the policy of CX?
When they upgraded me on my birthday, they upgraded Mrs Ieuan as well (but not our two children).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.