Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Can I throw away my ticket and still earn points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I was wondering if I can throw away my ticket?

I'm currently flying L Class (Economy).
I'm going YVR>HKG>BKK>HKG>YVR

Can I throw away the BKK>HKG segment and still fly HKG>YVR ? or will my entire trip be cancelled?

Also, I wish to earn points for the BKK>HKG segment, how do I do that? without flying it?

Check in, get my boarding pass and don't fly?

What happened is that i'm flying BKK>SIN>HKG via TG and SQ.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Forget the points. You'll be tagged as a no-show and the rest of your itinerary cancelled.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
It depends on the rules of your ticket, but my guess at L class is that if you no-show the BKK-HKG then the rest of the ticket is effectively worthless and you'll need another ticket to YVR. You can never get points for flights you don't take, with the very rare exceptions where one airline involuntarily reroutes you over a different airline because of operational problems.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:00 am
Original Poster

because my flight going from BKK>HKG and BKK>SIN is leaving at the same time. Can I show up at the gate and tell them to "Pretend" i'm boarding the plane ?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by schnitzer
because my flight going from BKK>HKG and BKK>SIN is leaving at the same time. Can I show up at the gate and tell them to "Pretend" i'm boarding the plane ?
I guess you can try that, but they'd probably be suspicious. An easier one is to have a friend fly with for you on the CX or the TG/SQ flights. I don't think they do passport checks right before boarding at BKK.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:26 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It depends whether the gate agents at BKK are CX employees or contracted. What you describe is a security threat (one of the known attack modes) and any CX employee that did not report you would be fired; the same is true for any airline. BKK being BKK, a suitable bribe (in the USD 100 range) would work with contract employees. However CX also takes a headcount on board the plane, and if they investigate this discrepancy it will potentially delay takeoff and canceling your HKG-YVR reservation is the least of the problems that you face. Lots of consequences to your proposed line of action ... so please investigate and think through the consequences, particularly as your next stop is SIN, where they treat this much more seriously than in Canada. You really don't want to stay for a few months in SIN while this is sorted out. Now how many cane strokes is fraud, bribery and suspected terrorism?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:32 am
Original Poster

i guess i'll just advise the TA that i will not be flying... see if my HKG>YVR is still valid.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i guess i'll just advise the TA that i will not be flying... see if my HKG>YVR is still valid.
You can always try in advance so they'll protect your onward flight from HKG. Just tell them that you need to be in SIN on an emergency, and can't take the non-stop. They may bite. They may also ask you to re-issue the ticket, who knows what kinds of con$equences that carries, though.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:59 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
OWE tickets book into L class, and most OW airlines don't use L for anything else, so if this is an LONEx ticket then it is fully changable but has USD 125 reissue fee ... so making the change is very easy but costs a bit of money. If it isn't an LONEx ticket, it will probably cost considerably more than that.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I'm currently flying L Class (Economy).
I'm going YVR>HKG>BKK>HKG>YVR
Based on this routing and L class, I would think it is a consolidator fare.

You will not be able to change it after departure. You need to call your TA asap to see if you could change it to open jaw YVR-HKG-BKK//HKG-YVR. The fare will likely be higher even though you have one less segment.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

If it is a consolidator fare YVR-BKK, chances are that you can stopover in HKG on the return. With that in mind, I think it is ok to 'skip' the BKK-HKG sector but you must notify your TA of yoru intentions, and you'd most likely have to pay the HKG departure tax when checking in at HKG.

Butjust o be sure.. check with your TA or else risk your itinerary to be entirely cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.