Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX inbound to Hkg time changes now less than MCT for the connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)

Hello
some advice please. I have a booking via HKG. With three weeks to go CX advise that the inbounds timing has changed and it does not make the connection - I believe HKG is 50 min McT. It is now 45 mins. They want me to call to rebook. Sticking with the route makes it a 10 hour overnight connection and I don’t particularly want to enter HKG. It’s a revenue business ticket.

Does CX have an obligation to book me via an alternative one world hub that gets me to my destination on time?

original was DPS-HKG-MNL and research shows that DPS-KUL-MNL would get me to MNL on the right day avoiding a 10 hour overnight in HKG.

thank you.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:26 am

Programs: CX GO, CA GO
Can't you stick with 45 minutes? I've had some 70-minute transits from ORD - HKG - PEK where I was able to get a shower at Pier J and grab some food real quick.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:30 am
Original Poster

I would love to but CX say the minimum permitted is 50 mins
gwang0618 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:26 am

There's no obligation for CX to route you to another one world hub. There's 2 option for you. You could ask them to cancel your ticket without penalty and you can book the other ticket yourself, or you could stick with the overnight routing and see if they can provide you a overnight hotel via STPC if you ask nicely.
TomYoung and DiamondMile like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:53 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
DPS - MNL is serviced direct by both Cebu Pacific and PH air. going hk and backtracking not to mention added 10hr layover seems like stupid use of your time. If safty is issue Scoot-SAq via sin can be done.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Not dumb, a conscious choice and a strong preference for one world airlines and the connection times were attractive when booking. But the retiming of the DPS-HKG leg put paid to that . Anyway resolved with Cx paying for a hotel room for the layover now
gwang0618 and royng like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:56 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Originally Posted by IThink
Not dumb, a conscious choice and a strong preference for one world airlines and the connection times were attractive when booking. But the retiming of the DPS-HKG leg put paid to that . Anyway resolved with Cx paying for a hotel room for the layover now
guess if you've got a bit of free time and don't mind faffing about with it, a free night's hotel stay isn't bad!
(they could have just canelled your ticket & that'd probably be cheaper for them)

what class of hotel are they arranging for you?
Isochronous likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:25 am
Original Poster

It is a business class flight - not sure if that made a difference - and they said hotel confirmation and transfer details sent within 48 hours also said one of the airport hotels. As you all know the Cx lounges close at night so that wasn’t an option.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:40 pm

Hope you manage to score the newer hotels at K11! The Regal airport has seen better days.
gwang0618 and royng like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:06 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by epigram
Hope you manage to score the newer hotels at K11! The Regal airport has seen better days.
K11?

The newest hotel near the airport would be the Regala Skycity....which was pretty horrible during the covid-quarantine-hotel-era.

With such a routing, I would have just accepted a refund and rebooked.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

I could have but then there isn’t a good one world connection. On the direct side, I personally find Philippine airlines or Cebu pacific a bit torturous. Is Cathay good at original routing credits? as I wouldn’t want to sacrifice the tier points.

I will report back on the hotel offer
TomYoung likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 6:23 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
ORC is for Irrops. say your CGK-HKG was cancelled on the travel date and they put you via direct route, you could claim for it. But in your case of pre arranged reroute no such cconcept
IThink and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 5:03 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
So which hotel did you get OP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.