Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HND-HKG J (& to Macau), JL vs CX?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

HND-HKG J (& to Macau), JL vs CX?

same price for J, both legs can be on either airline.

HND-HKG would be morning departure (9/10am)
HKG-TYO, could be morning departure (9/10am) or redeye (1am), unsure

same:
lounge access is same at HND-HKG, or HKG-HND
both are reverse herringbone seat (CX 330 vs JL 787) - two people traveling together

different:
Flying JL from HND-HKG allows early checkin but not CX
Flying CX from HKG-HND allows early checkin but not JL

food:
JL would have japanese +western meal
CX would have cantonese meal + japanese?

soft product?

Last edited by paperwastage; Mar 26, 2024 at 7:09 am
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:20 pm

Personally i much prefer JL to CX
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ALL Gold
In my limited experience (I've only flown with JL about 5 times in the past year, 2 of them international), I found JL's proficiency of English to be not of good standard, which IMO is unacceptable on international flights (on domestic I understand). Don't get me wrong - they mean well and are kind, and always deliver that true Japanese hospitality, but it can be difficult if you need to chat or speak to them.

Other than that I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I guess it depends if checking in early important to you?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:05 pm

Programs: CX Gold, HX FWC
Hard product-wise (IFE, seat...) I think CX is a lot better than JL. Their reverse herringbone seat is a lot wider than the APEX suites/JL's own reverse herringbone seats. Lots more content on the IFE as well.
For food JL takes the lead by quite a lot(at least on the ex-HND flight, not sure about the ex-HKG one). Service-wise, I think JL's hospitality is commendable, though CX's service is also pretty good. You'll also most likely run into some language barriers on JL, while that wouldn't be the case on CX
JL doesn't have a morning flight to HND (JL26 leaves at 3pm, CX548 is the only morning flight to HND which is operated by a 77W). I don't think there are any red eyes opby JL/CX to HND, the ones showing up on CX's website are UO flights which codeshare w/ CX
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:57 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by starvelk
Hard product-wise (IFE, seat...) I think CX is a lot better than JL. Their reverse herringbone seat is a lot wider than the APEX suites
Sure? They're both 20-20.5":

https://www.aerolopa.com/cx-77k
https://www.aerolopa.com/jl-773-w84

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 25, 2024 at 10:50 pm
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:24 pm

Programs: CX Gold, HX FWC
[QUOTE=percysmith;36110193]
Hard product-wise (IFE, seat...) I think CX is a lot better than JL. Their reverse herringbone seat is a lot wider than the APEX suites/QUOTE]

Sure? They're both 20-20.5":

https://www.aerolopa.com/cx-77k
https://www.aerolopa.com/jl-773-w84
It's the feeling of the seats -- on the apex high walls surround you and you feel like sleeping in a coffin, whereas for CX you have sufficient shoulder room which makes it a lot better. Sometimes the numbers don't tell the truth
Plus the reverse herringbone seats aren't built for the 787, they're quite narrow due to the width of the cabin
gwang0618 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ALL Gold
JL J Japanese style food ex-Japan rivals or even beats CX F food, but the IFE is terrible and Sky Suite III herringbones are probably the worst J seats in the region. I personally love Apex Suites though.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:35 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
The question should be what matters to you the most? Preference is subjective; I’ve flown both and both are great airlines. Is booking one each way an option? (Presumably not)
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:30 am

Hong Kong to Japan is what I'd called a pseudo redeye not a proper redeye.
You leave very late, arrive early and lose an hour en route due to the time difference. Factor in the noise of announcements etc. before takeoff and landing and you'd be very lucky to get more than three and a half hours of kip. So if sleep is important, I'd avoid the overnight flights on this route..
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:59 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Hong Kong to Japan is what I'd called a pseudo redeye not a proper redeye.
You leave very late, arrive early and lose an hour en route due to the time difference. Factor in the noise of announcements etc. before takeoff and landing and you'd be very lucky to get more than three and a half hours of kip. So if sleep is important, I'd avoid the overnight flights on this route..
NOT
From HK most flights are earylish daytime..
If from US of course different.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:50 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
do note some 777 CX flight (cx542/543 pair that leaves hk 4pm and.leave tokyo.morning) is often operated by 2-3-2 J seats. i booked A330 and just got changed to this dog sh** ship for June, saving grace work pays not me. on other side i am paying my own J on Jal this easter weekend

i would say seat itself (if u get Cirrus CX J) are better than JL. IFE is also miles better on CX.

Servivce and.food is miles better on JL. but afterall its 4hr flight. if i was on cx548/549 with almost guranteed longhaul J seat i would swey to CX only because i eat at F lounge anyways.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by oldchinahand
NOT
From HK most flights are earylish daytime..
If from US of course different.
The original poster said one of the options he is considering is "redeye (1am)". I was sharing an opinion on that option old boy.
TomYoung likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dreamingbeyond
Don't get me wrong - they mean well and are kind, and always deliver that true Japanese hospitality, but it can be difficult if you need to chat or speak to them..

I guess it depends if checking in early important to you?
for a 4 hour flight, think it'll be fine (language barrier wise)

Just trying to check if one airline has something that the other airline doesn't (eg JL has bidet, CX doesn?), or any special benefit if continuing to macau from hkg airport
​​​​​

Hard product-wise (IFE, seat...) I think CX is a lot better than JL. Their reverse herringbone seat is a lot wider than the APEX suites/JL's own reverse herringbone seats. Lots more content on the IFE as well.

I don't think there are any red eyes opby JL/CX to HND, the ones showing up on CX's website are UO flights which codeshare w/ CX
youre right, the HKG-NRT redeye is going to NRT not HND

Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
The question should be what matters to you the most? Preference is subjective; I’ve flown both and both are great airlines. Is booking one each way an option? (Presumably not)
can mix the two, just trying to look out for anything special (eg someone else mentioned on thread that CX 777 can substitute for non direct aisle access seat). Or if there's any benefit to fly CX into HKG (to continue to macau) versus JL

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
, I'd avoid the overnight flights on this route..
I'll have to check with the passengers, what timing they want on the HKG-Tokyo flight

Originally Posted by fakecd
do note some 777 CX flight (cx542/543 pair that leaves hk 4pm and.leave tokyo.morning) is often operated by 2-3-2 J seats. i

Servivce and.food is miles better on JL. but afterall its 4hr flight. if i was on cx548/549 with almost guranteed longhaul J seat i would swey to CX only because i eat at F lounge anyways.
the 2 passengers dont have status, so only J lounge access unfortunately.

Thanks for the 777 info. Looking at Sept, planes can swap. Looking at random date in April, looks like JL may also operate similar angled flat (no direct airsle) seat 787-8 on this route instead of lie flat 787-9

Last edited by paperwastage; Mar 26, 2024 at 7:31 am
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by paperwastage
for a 4 hour flight, think it'll be fine (language barrier wise)
How much Japanese do you need? I got status with them with only four words - three that are wrong, as was pointed out to me:

How fast can you learn Japanese ?!

Originally Posted by percysmith
Ohio/kumbawa, sayanara, arigato and sunimase.
Originally Posted by invalyd
Well, at least one of them is correct.
CarefreeBA and OWF_NYC_SIN like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
How much Japanese do you need? I got status with them with only four words - three that are wrong, as was pointed out to me:

How fast can you learn Japanese ?!
I'm not flying, booking for two other people. They don't know japanese but think it'll be fine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.