Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New CX premium economy seat (2024)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

New CX premium economy seat (2024)

Couldn't spy a thread dedicated to Cathay's new premium economy (although some posts in the Aria Suites business class thread touch on this) so thought I'd kick one off here.

A few things to note: Cathay has confirmed to me the 777s will see an upsized premium economy cabin with a 50% boost in seats, from 32 to 48 (and as CX has already stated, two dedicated premium economy washrooms).

I can also share that Cathay will be showcasing the premium economy seat at a special "Customer Experience Day" event in West Kowloon on Monday April 8 where it'll also demo the new IFE UX (said to be more Netflix-style). Unsure if any Cathay frequent flyers will be invited to this event, but if you do cop an invite, I'd love to catch up on the day (time permitting!).
dmatthew, kijhkijh and Reply1984 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:45 pm

CX should also showcase their new Aria suite on this event?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reply1984
CX should also showcase their new Aria suite on this event?
It's not been mentioned at all, and if that's indeed the case then I can see why – Aria would undoubtedly steal the show and steal the thunder from the premium economy seat – so by not having Aria there the premium economy seat gets most of the attention, while Aria can (and no doubt will) enjoy it's own big bang reveal/launch event down the track.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:13 am

Programs: CX Gold
Good to hear that CX will have dedicated lavs for PE. I hope this will be across the fleet.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boybi
Good to hear that CX will have dedicated lavs for PE. I hope this will be across the fleet.
I believe that's the intention, with one dedicated lav for other (smaller) premium economy cabins – but that means we're talking refit/reconfig, so remains to be seen how that would play out, and when...
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:48 am

I’m planning to travel Cathay in early May - is it possible the new seats will have begun rolling out by then, or is it unlikely? I know the initial announcements had it in Q2 but there’s been no firm date since. I’m trying to decide between booking a 777 vs A350 route.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:06 am

Programs: CX GO, CA GO
Originally Posted by adnmj
I’m planning to travel Cathay in early May - is it possible the new seats will have begun rolling out by then, or is it unlikely? I know the initial announcements had it in Q2 but there’s been no firm date since. I’m trying to decide between booking a 777 vs A350 route.
rather impossible for CX to start delivering renovated 777s in may, not to mention you'll have no idea which route its deployed on.

I'd just go for the a350 PY. it has nothing wrong with it and has a great leg rest. It is almost a 99% old 777 vs 1% retroffited 777.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:34 am

I'm not sure this is a good investment for CX to make. My observation (anecdotal, of course) is that PE seats are the least in demand on long-haul flights. Passengers either want to pay the least amount to fly in economy, or pay more for greater comfort and better amenities in business.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by gwang0618
rather impossible for CX to start delivering renovated 777s in may, not to mention you'll have no idea which route its deployed on.

I'd just go for the a350 PY. it has nothing wrong with it and has a great leg rest. It is almost a 99% old 777 vs 1% retroffited 777.
thanks. I’d be flying the LHR-HKG route which I figured would be most likely to have the new seat, but yea it does sound unlikely especially if the new 777 is randomly flown.
gwang0618 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:40 pm

Programs: CX GO, CA GO
Originally Posted by tth6133
I'm not sure this is a good investment for CX to make. My observation (anecdotal, of course) is that PE seats are the least in demand on long-haul flights. Passengers either want to pay the least amount to fly in economy, or pay more for greater comfort and better amenities in business.
theoretically yes - thats what i used to think as well. But on almost every single CX flight I have taken, PY is almost always full (when I take PY). From HKG to YYZ, to JFK ORD. Its rather the regional operations where load factor for PY is lowest.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adnmj
I’m planning to travel Cathay in early May - is it possible the new seats will have begun rolling out by then, or is it unlikely? I know the initial announcements had it in Q2 but there’s been no firm date since.
There’s been no “firm date” announced but i believe it’s June. Launch route/s TBA.
adnmj likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

it might depend on the market but my information is that premium economy is flying almost full, at least from Australia to Hong Kong and on key routes such as UK, EU and North America.

We actually saw a post-pandemic trend across the industry (certainly out of Australia but also I’m told other markets) where passengers were flocking into premium cabins - business class and premium economy - leaving the back of the plane emptier, in an inversion of pre-pandemic habits.

The obvious question is whether this growth in premium economy is sustainable through the rest of the decade and well into the next. I’m sure Cathy wouldn’t be betting big on premium economy on simply based on a potentially short-term post-pandemic scenario, but I don’t have any insight into their longer-term forcast.
oldchinahand and gwang0618 like this.

Last edited by djsflynn; Mar 22, 2024 at 9:30 pm
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:06 pm

Interestingly, my own experience (also anecdotal of course) is the opposite. Nearly every long-haul flight that I've been on recently in PE has been 100% full. With the cabin seemingly in demand the challenge then becomes to find PE ticket prices at a reasonable premium over economy.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 2:42 am

Programs: QRPC Silver
I did HKG-LAX in Y and PEY for the return. I’m not sure if this is strategy or something but the 3-4-3 layout economy seats on the 777s on Cathay are atrocious for long haul flying. Regional intra Asia they are bearable but for long haul I really struggle. Flying PEY in return, I can definitely say there is a demand for a bigger seat on long haul flights. I can’t afford business, but I think splurging the extra little bit is worth it, especially if it’s 10 hours plus
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Horizon360
Interestingly, my own experience (also anecdotal of course) is the opposite. Nearly every long-haul flight that I've been on recently in PE has been 100% full. With the cabin seemingly in demand the challenge then becomes to find PE ticket prices at a reasonable premium over economy.
Yes, I would not pay the premium for PE on anything <5 hours. But for long-haul, it can represent a solid sweet spot between comfort and price (vs the class above & below). No wonder it is so popular for long haul.
djsflynn and gwang0618 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.