Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX food choices - how fast do they run out between different classes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2024, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Hi, I've sat in both PE & Economy on CX where the food selection starts running out (i.e. only 1 option left) as soon as the 3rd or 4th row (when they start serving from the front). I haven't taken CX J in many years, what's the situation like in CX Bus class? I would have thought in premium cabins - priority would be given to choice over risk of more wasted food.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
You can preorder meals in J, in which case running out of choices shouldn't be an issue.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 6:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
It isn't as bad as it appears as Cathay also does ordering for status passengers first (in economy at least OWE, probably some levels of Cathay status) and that feels similar in business class as well - i.e. they don't just start with row 1 but will go CX Diamond, OWE, CX Gold/Silver etc. to collect your order details first. As such, only non-status passengers are as likely to end up with a more limited choice.

Having said that, it does appear that sometimes they are surprised by a particular dish being "popular" so there is some risk if you are low status.
gwang0618 and oldchinahand like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:28 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by wadia13
Hi, I've sat in both PE & Economy on CX where the food selection starts running out (i.e. only 1 option left) as soon as the 3rd or 4th row (when they start serving from the front). I haven't taken CX J in many years, what's the situation like in CX Bus class? I would have thought in premium cabins - priority would be given to choice over risk of more wasted food.
  • How many times have this happened? 2 flights? 2 out of 2 flights you took recently?
  • So they ran out on your PEY flight too?
  • Not sure which plane or route you were on, but on a typical 77W just cause you saw them starting from the "front" eg. PEY or Y row 39, doesn't mean they don't have a second cart starting from row 59 or backwards from row 72.
  • Like @littlevoices mentioned above, there are certain times when a particular dish might be more 'popular', but it's really not as bad as you think it is. Quite often when that happens, the crew tend to be able to find that 'popular' choice leftover in other carts and maybe not as popular in other sections of the plane.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:36 am

Programs: CX Gold
Haven’t experienced being prioritized as an SL in Y. I’ll find out soon if priority is given to GO.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:12 am

Programs: QRPC Silver
My experience recently in PEY where I was seated on the last row and was the last passenger to be served before the went on to Y. The FA asked me for a choice between A and B. I asked for A and got A but when I and asked if I could have B for seconds, she said there was no more left. I found it interesting because 1) it was a rather empty PEY flight (counted about 8 empty seats including one next me), 2) she asked me for a choice and 3) I was the last one so surely they weren't reserving PEY meals for any for Y passengers.

I didn't bother complaining because I got a meal, the food was still good nonetheless and the FA was going out of her way to make me feel comfortable throughout the rest of the flight. Just an interesting observation.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:32 am

Programs: CX GO, CA GO
Originally Posted by boybi
Haven’t experienced being prioritized as an SL in Y. I’ll find out soon if priority is given to GO.
No priority in Y for GO. In PY yes since you have a menu.
boybi likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 4:19 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by gwang0618
No priority in Y for GO. In PY yes since you have a menu.
I had similar experience as gwang0618. Last time in Jan 2024, I was seated at the last row of PEY and was proactively asked about my meal choice before take off. By the third row, PEY choice was already run out, but crew was willing to offer mains from C cabin.

In Y I usually seat in front of cabin and so had not encountered out of choice problem (knocking on wood).
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Advanced meal ordering in Y is hit and miss as a OWE.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:05 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
You can preorder meals in J, in which case running out of choices shouldn't be an issue.
Really? How? I am only given a choice between a regular meal and various special meal options.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Braniff
Really? How? I am only given a choice between a regular meal and various special meal options.
Preorder dish is for long haul flights from 10 days until 24 hours before departure

https://flights.cathaypacific.com/en...e-my-meal.html
HawaiiO and Braniff like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Braniff
Ya other than the time limit of 10 days before, short and maybe med haul flts dont get preorder meal choices.

Recently flew hkg to sin about a 3 hr flt and only got Standard meal as choice.
Braniff likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:34 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Possibly some paxs are asking/ expecting just too much of airlines re food.
Most including CX do a decent job but its an aeroplane and thus choice must have limits.
CX are better than most
gwang0618 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:48 pm

Programs: CX Gold
In my experience, QR almost always runs out of one option in J. With CX, I have never experienced that.
gwang0618 and midlevels like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:52 am

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
Post covid travel as GO in PEY; ran out of meal choice on both outbound and inbound long haul flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.