Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New regional J on A330 will be with flat beds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Updated: CEO Ronald Lam said ALL regional A330 would be equipped with flat bed business class.

Good news here: In the financial report released by CX this afternoon, CX revealed that the new J installed on A330 starting from 2026 will be with flat beds.

Last edited by Reply1984; Mar 13, 2024 at 12:18 am
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by Reply1984
Good news here: In the financial report released by CX this afternoon, CX revealed that the new J installed on A330 starting from 2026 will be with flat beds.

I hope they don't follow SQ's regional J class. SQ's seats are super narrow in regional J.
allianceflyer9506 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by bagold
I hope they don't follow SQ's regional J class. SQ's seats are super narrow in regional J.
Would still be a step up from the current regional J though..
fairhsa, TomYoung and gwang0618 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Tbf almost anything's an upgrade from the 32Q business class.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:04 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Personally I think this is the biggest highlight today. Glad to know CX is keeping pace with counterparts in the region to offer short haul business class, especially when their short haul can be over 2000 miles.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by thomas164
Tbf almost anything's an upgrade from the 32Q business class.
Surely you jest. Intra-Europe Business?
tauphi likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:16 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by SLGO
Personally I think this is the biggest highlight today. Glad to know CX is keeping pace with counterparts in the region to offer short haul business class, especially when their short haul can be over 2000 miles.
This is good news
Hopefully the A321s eventually stopped getting used on the high volume routes.

I wonder though if it will be like SQs regional A350 or their 737s

Also anyone know or have any insight in what the new First class is?
TomYoung likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:47 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
SQ regional J is light years ahead of CX regional J.

this is great news re CX. So happy.
TomYoung and NZflyer777 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:10 am

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
Best news yet in 2024. Thank you Cathay. You have restored my faith in you.
NZflyer777 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:40 am

I am cautiously optimistic but I note that it does not specifically say, "All direct aisle access lie flat seats"!
But as of this point, I can't imagine anyone going back to lie flat seats without direct aisle access though. However, it is still not specifically said it that way. I am a bit cautious.
Honestly I am okay with SQ's current regional business class. If CX just offers an improved version of it, I will be willing to pay for it.

As of this point, I am not willing to pay for the current A321Neo business class product, which is even worse than those A330/Boeing 777-300 regional business class seats. I will fly economy if needs to be. Honestly after flying CX A321neo economy class two weeks ago, I am fine with an extra legroom seat with Hong Kong Express. The whole experience with CX's A321Neo is just bad and my flight was not even 30% full. I felt bad for the crews who have to work on these planes. I can imagine how bad it is if the flights are 100% full.

Carfield
wyskevin and gwang0618 like this.

Last edited by Carfield; Mar 13, 2024 at 2:48 am
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:58 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Carfield
I am cautiously optimistic but I note that it does not specifically say, "All direct aisle access lie flat seats"!
But as of this point, I can't imagine anyone going back to lie flat seats without direct aisle access though. However, it is still not specifically said it that way. I am a bit cautious.
Honestly I am okay with SQ's current regional business class. If CX just offers an improved version of it, I will be willing to pay for it.

As of this point, I am not willing to pay for the current A321Neo business class product, which is even worse than those A330/Boeing 777-300 regional business class seats. I will fly economy if needs to be. Honestly after flying CX A321neo economy class two weeks ago, I am fine with an extra legroom seat with Hong Kong Express. The whole experience with CX's A321Neo is just bad and my flight was not even 30% full. I felt bad for the crews who have to work on these planes. I can imagine how bad it is if the flights are 100% full.

Carfield
it is probably intentional to downgrade the regional service so much , so they can make a case to keep expanding HK express and contract the CX business.

30 inch pitch on the A321neo is terrible.
HK Express extra legroom is far more logical.
Air NZ and QF basically do this where their regional flights are now LCC level.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:26 am

[QUOTE=Carfield;36075913

Carfield[/QUOTE]
I recently flew to PNH in business class in an A321. Every seat was full. Never again. The business class is premium economy, absolutely no better than that. I do not understand how Cathay risks its reputation with such an offering. It is regularly used for the first flight to Manila, a flight that is normally filled with passengers connecting from long haul flights. Many have changed many times zones and are still craving sleep. Imagine their shock and reaction when they transfer from a comfortable Cirrus seat to one of these horrors. Early February I took the TG flight from BKK to MNL which also departs very early and has many connecting passengers. TG used an A350 with reasonable beds, many of which were used. Anyone being aware of the difference between the two levels of offering would never choose Cathay if coming from Europe or other competing departure point such as ME or India.

The flight back to HKG from MNL, CX906, used to be very popular with folk going on to NA, plus other ports in SE Asia.. The front end was usually pretty full. Again the A321 must be recking Cathay's reputation with them. Buy them by the dozen if they wish but please restrict their use to routes with light loads. Perhaps it is due to availability of qualified pilots that causes them to be assigned to heavy load routes. If so I hope that they train, train, train the guys and gals to drive larger machines quickly.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:03 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Carfield

Carfield
Oops this is something I missed. Perhaps I was too optimistic about CX, forgetting a possibility that flatbed can also be in a 2-2-2 configuration. But even so, I guess I can live with it on short-haul, and still a (huge?) step up from the current recliners.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:11 am

Programs: CX GO, CA GO
Jesus christ this just shows how spoiled all yall are... forgetting that flatbeds could be done in 2-2-2. At mainland Carriers, 1-2-1s are of (nearly) nonexistent beyond hainan airlines.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:12 am

Also they did not say that all A330s will be converted to full flat beds. That still leaves a window for them to only convert some, or a few, or two. We shall see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.