Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Further Route Resumptions?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2024, 8:04 pm

SQ / Korean Air/ China airlines all fly into Yangon. China airlines is 4x a week. Sq about to be twice a day. KE once a week. So it all varies. All actually have good connection times as they all leave in the morning allowing people from Europe/ North America to transit.

Not sure about Air China . I don't think any middle eastern carrier serves Yangon. Yet.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 8:20 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Rfung925
SQ / Korean Air/ China airlines all fly into Yangon. China airlines is 4x a week. Sq about to be twice a day. KE once a week. So it all varies. All actually have good connection times as they all leave in the morning allowing people from Europe/ North America to transit.

Not sure about Air China . I don't think any middle eastern carrier serves Yangon. Yet.

Yup
In fact you will notice that in most of the cities CX does not fly to because of "market condittions"
SQ has grown or expanded in.
fakecd likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Reply1984
I don’t think the pace of resumption at CX is significantly slower than that at SQ. Hong Kong’s reopening is one year later than Singapore. SQ resumed to 90%-95% of pre-pandemic capacity by the end of 2023 so CX reaching that level by 2024 is still OK.

As for the compensation for pilots, after 30%-40% cut, if my understanding is correct, CX’s package is (finally) comparable to the EK’s. I don't think the package itself is a big problem. (And you can tell how those legacy pilots were spoiled in the old days)

As for the figure provided by the pilot union, two things need to be considered. The first is exactly what you mentioned. They do not include the number from UO. I heard that CX transferred some junior pilots(mainly second officers) to UO. The second is that CX closed the overseas base during the pandemic. The pilots based overseas cannot freely operate flights within CX’s network so CX may never need so many local-based pilots to operate flights when their capacity resumes to the pre-pandemic level.
Maybe you are right, and CX will be back to pre-COVID by the end of this year, I have my doubts. Remember EK is zero tax, and currently paying 23-24 weeks profit share, so it is likely that the 'take home' is better than CX by a decent margin now.

If it isn't the package that is an issue for recruitment, then it is likely HK itself, in which case they may need to increase the package to get people to come (and stay). Especially as overseas bases are not offered anymore.
TomYoung likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by peasant
Maybe you are right, and CX will be back to pre-COVID by the end of this year, I have my doubts. Remember EK is zero tax, and currently paying 23-24 weeks profit share, so it is likely that the 'take home' is better than CX by a decent margin now.

If it isn't the package that is an issue for recruitment, then it is likely HK itself, in which case they may need to increase the package to get people to come (and stay). Especially as overseas bases are not offered anymore.
Don’t forget UO. UO is now at 140% of pre-pandemic capacity.

So I think both the package offered by CX and Hong Kong itself are fine. The current shortage is simply about CX firing too many pilots during the pandemic and it takes much time to hire them back. And it seems that CX is more dedicated to train local people after the pandemic.
gwang0618 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 12:06 am

Programs: Asia Miles Korean Air Skypass Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by shd9
CX actually routes many passengers on UA (and B6) nowadays given AA’s abysmal network in the LAX/JFK/SFO/BOS.

EWR and IAD both have a ~10pm departure bank, and would work very well for connections destined for the Northeast and the south Atlantic. CX routes most of these passengers through ORD nowadays. As AA wind down their operations there too, these connections are becoming less convenient.
Spot on and Pre covid-19 CX890 arrives at EWR from HKG at 10:10 PM Local time while in HKG SIN TPE PER MNL Time that's 10:10 am the next day during DST but when Standard Time is used that's 11:10am the next day. Return trip CX899 from EWR back to HKG 1am EWR arrive HKG 5:30am making a 2hr connection with the A321neo CX907 to MNL T3. If CX899 can't make it to CX907 the first HKG-MNL staff can put you to CX901 also to MNL T3.
gwang0618 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 2:28 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific - Diamond
Originally Posted by US HK UK flyer

There is considerable hinting about Gatwick resuming in October, as well as vaguer hints about Riyadh.
I heard through an in-house contact that the Riyadh route is gearing up for re-launch. Sounded like it'll be a direct service, rather than the old route via Bahrain.

China Eastern recently started PVG-RUH too.
Carfield likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 3:45 am

CX never announced any further route restoration or new destinations during their recent result press conference right ?

and no reporters ask?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 4:09 am

Programs: CX Gold
No point asking.
everyone knows they have no planes and no pilots.

Like HK is slowly dying and losing relevance so is HK aviation.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 6:06 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
just saw from Dec24 onward I see CX155/150 flight combo back. That's 10pm-830am HKG-BNE on cx155 and 1045am-5pm BNE-HKG. this adds a critically useful night flight for commuters. zeroed out for now but being loaded to system is promising
TomYoung likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 6:21 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CX748
I heard through an in-house contact that the Riyadh route is gearing up for re-launch. Sounded like it'll be a direct service, rather than the old route via Bahrain.

China Eastern recently started PVG-RUH too.
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
CX never announced any further route restoration or new destinations during their recent result press conference right ?

and no reporters ask?
They are just thrashing through the money RUH pays them via the Air Connectivity Programme.
No airline is flying to Saudi for free, so to speak.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, CX Asia Miles, FlyingBlue, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
They are just thrashing through the money RUH pays them via the Air Connectivity Programme.
No airline is flying to Saudi for free, so to speak.
They are also being potentially pushed in this direction by the HK government, which asked them to support HK's "strategic economic development," which very much includes links to the Gulf right now (especially Saudi, to which there are currently not direct flights). My sense is there's probably not an extra financial incentive to do this, though, just the incentive to avoid awkwardness with the government.

Personally, I'm less interested in this RUH resumption than whatever other routes they open up as a result of this government nudging toward more Southeast Asia and Middle East. I might bet on Cairo someday.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 12:12 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by NZflyer777
Yup
In fact you will notice that in most of the cities CX does not fly to because of "market condittions"
SQ has grown or expanded in.
I see though 2.5 years after Singapore lifted its Covid restrictions SIA is still flying only about 90% of its pre pandemic schedule - not exactly an overall expansion !
Old Mar 19, 2024, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by US HK UK flyer
They are also being potentially pushed in this direction by the HK government, which asked them to support HK's "strategic economic development," which very much includes links to the Gulf right now (especially Saudi, to which there are currently not direct flights). My sense is there's probably not an extra financial incentive to do this, though, just the incentive to avoid awkwardness with the government.

Personally, I'm less interested in this RUH resumption than whatever other routes they open up as a result of this government nudging toward more Southeast Asia and Middle East. I might bet on Cairo someday.
Your source of this information please.
I ask as I disagree that the airline is being or is likely to be pushed by the HK government re Saudi flights. There are no direct flights from HK because there is no viable market.
Cairo is an absolute non starter in my opinion although OW partner Royal Air Maroc's home base of Casablanca ( with 60 African destinations) is I feel very possible at some point. Huge untapped Asian tourist market plus good business class transit potential
Old Mar 19, 2024, 12:41 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by oldchinahand
Your source of this information please.
I ask as I disagree that the airline is being or is likely to be pushed by the HK government re Saudi flights. There are no direct flights from HK because there is no viable market.
Cairo is an absolute non starter in my opinion although OW partner Royal Air Maroc's home base of Casablanca ( with 60 African destinations) is I feel very possible at some point. Huge untapped Asian tourist market plus good business class transit potential
There has been a lot of public talk about RUH recently and this has been off the back of recent delegation by HK GOV to Saudi Arabia. Whether this materializes into a route launch remains to be seen, but I would suspect they are at the very least looking into it. They once flew to both RUH and JED.

CMN - whilst having connectivity to Africa, is too far West and involves most connections backtracking. DOH offers enough African connections to most major cities, whilst MAD offers some additional connections to West Africa. CX would be better off relying on QR.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 1:50 am

I doubt very much that CX is seriously looking at any direct Saudi routes having cancelled the routes that you mention in 2014 and 2016 that had run for only a few years.
Too far west for who? I did not mention this in the context of Saudi flights only as a likely CX African destination at some time in the future. Cathay were a of sponsor RAM into OW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.