Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Further Route Resumptions?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:56 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
CX828 I understand your point however taken in the context written I believe that the comment was extremely offensive in words and intent.
That is my view but these things things are of course open to differing interpretation.

The many Philippine flights are full and profitable as the airline can use older high capacity aircraft or aircraft that would be sitting idle between long-haul flights plus catering costs are minimal given the short flight time.
Cathay will resume flights first that are the most profitable and/or on routes where there is a need to defend their turf . Clark scores on both counts
CathayMVP likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:49 pm

Some Asia destination not sure will it resume

Okinawa
Chiang Mai
Busan
Taichung
Hiroshima

HK express is not a perfect carrier in case you need aircraft checked luggage
Old Mar 7, 2024, 2:14 am
ofj

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CX828
I am not sure why this is so offensive to you? I don't think Tom Young is actually saying anything bad about Maids... just that he suspects this route would attract a higher proportion of maids versus other routes in the network and therefore equate to much lower fare price, so he was mocking CX for how they might choose this route resumption over another.
I think it's just hard to gauge intonation and attitude from written language (as opposed to spoken), so understandably it CAN come across as belittling the maids in question. Just my 2 cents.

I'd like to think that most people here have good intentions - we are all in this frequent flyer hobby together, at the end of the day.
Carfield and gwang0618 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:33 pm

and yangon too!

Newark and DC is dunzo but wish they can bring it back.
gwang0618 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:15 pm

Programs: CX GO, CA GO
Originally Posted by Rfung925
and yangon too!

Very unlikely... EWR and IAD are both huge UA hubs and *A hubs rather than OW. Not to mention both are already being served by AirChina, their parent company.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, CX Asia Miles, FlyingBlue, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by gwang0618
Very unlikely... EWR and IAD are both huge UA hubs and *A hubs rather than OW. Not to mention both are already being served by AirChina, their parent company.
Air China is not "their parent company" with a sub 30% share. Their actual parent company, Swire, also owns an interlocking and identical share of Air China.

Cathay has also served, and serves, plenty of airports also served by Air China, which does not fly to HKG from destinations outside mainland China.

Cathay has also served EWR and IAD in the past despite being Star Alliance hubs.

The reason it is not serving them right now and probably will not in the near future is down to manpower and/or demand.
minhaoxue and Reply1984 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Rfung925
and yangon too!

Yangon will not be back any time soon. With the military coup, organized crime and even human trafficking, I don't see much demand there.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by gwang0618
CX actually routes many passengers on UA (and B6) nowadays given AA’s abysmal network in the LAX/JFK/SFO/BOS.

EWR and IAD both have a ~10pm departure bank, and would work very well for connections destined for the Northeast and the south Atlantic. CX routes most of these passengers through ORD nowadays. As AA wind down their operations there too, these connections are becoming less convenient.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:03 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Reply1984
Yangon will not be back any time soon. With the military coup, organized crime and even human trafficking, I don't see much demand there.
other Asian airlines seem to be doing fine on all the routes that CX is not launching or reinstating.
More likely the CX brand is just tarnished so they cant compete.
fakecd likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:33 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by NZflyer777
other Asian airlines seem to be doing fine on all the routes that CX is not launching or reinstating.
Which routes and airlines are you referring to please?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:20 am

Cathay Pacific starting this week gradually finalizes its operation for Northern summer 2024 season. On Hong Kong – Colombo route, the oneWorld member plans to launch Airbus A350-900XWB aircraft service on 02MAY24, replacing the A330-300.

This route is scheduled 3 times weekly.

CX611 HKG2050 – 2355CMB 359 246
CX610 CMB0050 – 0855HKG 359 357
Source: https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240308-cxns24cmb
gwang0618 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:35 am

Programs: CX GO, CA GO
Originally Posted by oldchinahand
Which routes and airlines are you referring to please?
ignore him... he's always super negative about CX and its performance but cant back his statements up. In the other forum about Cathay discontinuing first class, he was like oh CX has no planes on order and modernization/expansion plans are all dreams. Utter BS.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:28 am

Programs: CX Asia Miles
Originally Posted by NZflyer777
What an absolutely ridiculous statement to make, and completely baseless. Granted, CX went through a very rough time (I'd argue more so than most of its competitors) during the pandemic, yes, but that doesn't equate to CX being "tarnished". It is as you know currently rebuilding its pre-Covid network, which is taking time, but is continuing to make good progress nonetheless. Also, more routes are coming back. That in and of itself does not paint a picture of a "tarnished" brand, more like a brand that is building back better.
Reply1984, gwang0618 and wadia13 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by JW95
What an absolutely ridiculous statement to make, and completely baseless. Granted, CX went through a very rough time (I'd argue more so than most of its competitors) during the pandemic, yes, but that doesn't equate to CX being "tarnished". It is as you know currently rebuilding its pre-Covid network, which is taking time, but is continuing to make good progress nonetheless. Also, more routes are coming back. That in and of itself does not paint a picture of a "tarnished" brand, more like a brand that is building back better.
Where I think CX is having an issue is the war for talent. For various reasons they probably went too far in cutting T&C of technical staff. So they are building back slower than, say, EK/QR/SQ because of staffing issues. Some of this is also the perception post political turmoil and COVID that HK is not as attractive a place to be. Especially if other airlines are now paying better. The slower build up means they missed out on the high profits from 'revenge travel' that many other airlines got.

HKAOA figures released in January (sure, they have an axe to grind) show that CX is down 1000 pilots from 2019 (but they are comparing CX/KA to CX, rather than CX/KA/UO to CX/UO)
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by peasant
Where I think CX is having an issue is the war for talent. For various reasons they probably went too far in cutting T&C of technical staff. So they are building back slower than, say, EK/QR/SQ because of staffing issues. Some of this is also the perception post political turmoil and COVID that HK is not as attractive a place to be. Especially if other airlines are now paying better. The slower build up means they missed out on the high profits from 'revenge travel' that many other airlines got.

HKAOA figures released in January (sure, they have an axe to grind) show that CX is down 1000 pilots from 2019 (but they are comparing CX/KA to CX, rather than CX/KA/UO to CX/UO)
I don’t think the pace of resumption at CX is significantly slower than that at SQ. Hong Kong’s reopening is one year later than Singapore. SQ resumed to 90%-95% of pre-pandemic capacity by the end of 2023 so CX reaching that level by 2024 is still OK.

As for the compensation for pilots, after 30%-40% cut, if my understanding is correct, CX’s package is (finally) comparable to the EK’s. I don't think the package itself is a big problem. (And you can tell how those legacy pilots were spoiled in the old days)

As for the figure provided by the pilot union, two things need to be considered. The first is exactly what you mentioned. They do not include the number from UO. I heard that CX transferred some junior pilots(mainly second officers) to UO. The second is that CX closed the overseas base during the pandemic. The pilots based overseas cannot freely operate flights within CX’s network so CX may never need so many local-based pilots to operate flights when their capacity resumes to the pre-pandemic level.
csardas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.