Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Further Route Resumptions?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2024, 11:12 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
To my understanding about 76% of the inflow was from mainland China, Taiwan or Macau
Old Feb 29, 2024, 11:04 am

Programs: Asia Miles Korean Air Skypass Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by Reply1984
Just some guess:

Maybe the migration wave after 2019 might change the expansion plan of CX. UK, Canada and Australia are the most popular destinations. While Australia is well served, some second tier cities in UK and Canada could be the potential target.

For example, Montreal and Calgary in Canada and Birmingham and Edinburgh in UK are good candidates for the new service.

Apart from that, Newark EWR could also be back soon. The Russian airspace issues could not be solved in the foreseeable future and the east coast is in serious supply shortage.
you mean CX890/899 which makes it an alternative to the 1:50am JFK CX843/845 flight inbound from HKG it's CX840 the 9pm arrival. If you're final destinations are CEB and MNL CX899 alongside JFK 843/845 still allows connection to CX907/921 to the Philippines from HKG.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 2:05 pm

A little off topic but I wish CX can reinstate that 645pm flight to JFK CX846. It was so perfect.. sleep in HK, go out to dim sum one last time, grab some last minute things then get on the flight. When you land in NY- go home- and go right to bed and be ready for work the next day. Not a big fan of CX830 and omg the 3am flight they now have lmao- not trying to land in new York all groggy in the middle of rush hour at 6am.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by TomYoung
I am far from being an expert in these matters but BA used to have rights to many points from HKG.
My recollection is that, although some BA flights flew on from HKG to MNL or TPE, they didn't have the right to sell tickets for the HKG-MNL/TPE sectors (or vice versa). I may be misremembering this from 20 years ago though. CX had a similar arrangement where MAN was served via AMS - you could never buy a ticket on CX solely for the AMS-MAN sector.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by PaulC852
My recollection is that, although some BA flights flew on from HKG to MNL or TPE, they didn't have the right to sell tickets for the HKG-MNL/TPE sectors (or vice versa). I may be misremembering this from 20 years ago though. CX had a similar arrangement where MAN was served via AMS - you could never buy a ticket on CX solely for the AMS-MAN sector.
It's over 30 years ago, but CX was flying HKG-AMS-CDG and you could buy AMS-CDG (I did it a couple of time).
Economics are quite different today. At the time, it was difficult to fill a 747.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 12:51 am

Programs: Asia Miles Korean Air Skypass Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Miles
6am flight

Originally Posted by Rfung925
A little off topic but I wish CX can reinstate that 645pm flight to JFK CX846. It was so perfect.. sleep in HK, go out to dim sum one last time, grab some last minute things then get on the flight. When you land in NY- go home- and go right to bed and be ready for work the next day. Not a big fan of CX830 and omg the 3am flight they now have lmao- not trying to land in new York all groggy in the middle of rush hour at 6am.
You must be referring to the CX902 MNL-HKG JFK connection from HKG CX844 which goes back to HKG as 841. Regarding 846 if resumed 890 that times well with MNL 906/900 PER 144.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 1:06 am

Cathay is going to up HKG -Cebu to 7 per week and then to twice daily by mid year
also - responding to recent requests from the Beijing government and in response to its gradual easing of solo travel permits to HK from second level cities CX has quickly boosted flights.The first of the new 2024 permits are for Xian and Qingdao with more cities scheduled this year.
Already on sale from yesterday are two extra weekly flights to Xian with daily flights to Qingdao to become wide body aircraft.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:22 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by TomYoung
I would expect preference to be given to reaching daily frequency before starting new services elsewhere. When the do consider starting new services I wonder if they would find a triangle HKG-EDI-DUB-HKG attractive, especially if they could find a way to issue the EDI-HKG-EDI tickets with a transfer in DUB and reduce UK travel tax from long haul to short haul. Elsewhere I would look to a return of DVO, there being so much fresh produce to be shipped out of there in addition to overseas workers and seamen who will connect to long haul flights and incoming tourists.
One of the Chinese carriers runs a tag from EDI to DUB, or at least used to pre-pandemic.

I wonder if HKG-CNS might be revived?
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, CX Asia Miles, FlyingBlue, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by Isochronous
I wonder if HKG-CNS might be revived?
Cairns is very desirous of getting ex-HK tourism money back as well as probably whatever mainland Chinese would come via HK, and even sent a delegation to HK last year to try and get Cathay to renew the route.

The fact that there has been no announcement on this front leads me to think maybe CX decided it wasn't very profitable. They don't have the manpower to renew routes that aren't going to perform well at this point. Perhaps being almost a pure leisure destination counts against it.
percysmith and Reply1984 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:00 am

The Cairns route was terminated long prior to the pandemic -apparently unprofitable.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:05 am

The HKG -Clark (90km south of Manila) route will be revived in June. A large new terminal opened last month and an upgraded expressway from metro Manila.
A rail link is under construction and due to be operational in 2026.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 2:32 am

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
Originally Posted by oldchinahand
The HKG -Clark (90km south of Manila) route will be revived in June. A large new terminal opened last month and an upgraded expressway from metro Manila.
Clark is NORTH of Manila, not south.
PaulC852 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, CX Asia Miles, FlyingBlue, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by oldchinahand
Is this confirmed? I saw this story yesterday and it seemed very tentative with Cathay "monitoring the situation to see when to return":

https://business.inquirer.net/448345...eturn-to-clark

Sounded more like hype from Philippines media based off a noncommittal Cathay quote than anything.
TomYoung likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:23 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KFG, Marriott Plat, AccorG
Originally Posted by US HK UK flyer
Is this confirmed? I saw this story yesterday and it seemed very tentative with Cathay "monitoring the situation to see when to return":

https://business.inquirer.net/448345...eturn-to-clark

Sounded more like hype from Philippines media based off a noncommittal Cathay quote than anything.

Turns out I'm with Philippine media. This is a quote from the country manager, and sounds like an advertorial/PR trying to gauge interest. We (the media) have no skin in this game; we wouldn't care otherwise. Based on the posts here about it, I'd say they (CX) have their answer!
Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:48 pm

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
Originally Posted by Felix Felicis
Turns out I'm with Philippine media. This is a quote from the country manager, and sounds like an advertorial/PR trying to gauge interest. We (the media) have no skin in this game; we wouldn't care otherwise. Based on the posts here about it, I'd say they (CX) have their answer!
I would rank DVO ahead of Clark. It has great fresh produce freight potential in addition to OFWs and seamen connecting to flights all over the world, plus the odd adventure tourist and surfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.