Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy to India

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2024, 3:30 am
feh

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air Astana
Pre-Covid I was in and out of India a fair bit (DEL, MAA, BOM). And whilst not having PEY flying to India might not be the end of the world, on the flights back to HKG (typically overnight), PEY made one hell of a difference.

Really sad if it has been dropped - even though India's not on my travel radar these days (when visiting India or rather attempting to return to HKG from India would have required 21 nights in BKK before 21 nights in a hotel in HKG, clients in India baulked at the expense of this and I was dropped from my Indian projects)
Old Feb 6, 2024, 4:12 am

Please patiently wait for another few weeks. CX is still updating its schedule in the summer season.
oldchinahand and gwang0618 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Chill. The 333s are placeholders. At least for SIN
Originally Posted by Reply1984
Please patiently wait for another few weeks. CX is still updating its schedule in the summer season.
Still no movement on this and the changes are scheduled to come into place this month. Are you both still as confident?
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:31 am

In my opinion, lie-flat business class can be overkill for 2-3 hour short-haul flights, whereas PE is good value. Maybe CX thinks PE is eating into short-haul demand for J seats and has decided to drop PE?

"Cathay’s first foray into premium economy arrived on the flagship Boeing 777 in 2012, and shortly made its way onto the regional Airbus A330 fleet – although there are rumours of this being pared back in a sweeping reconfiguration of the A330s."
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:12 am

Programs: CX GO, CA GO
Originally Posted by TomYoung
All part of the plan to turn CX into a low cost carrier I'm sad to say.
don't be so pessimistic... first of all all these 333s should be placeholders. Second of all these 333s ain't terrible either.

Third of all and most importantly, most reviewers and CX frequent fliers are all complimenting CX lately about it getting back on track with hugely improved soft product (hard product was always great). The food is perfect, seat is perfect maybe the crew can be better but let time fix that. CX is still a top 5 airline in my mind for its consistency of both soft and hard products.
US HK UK flyer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by gwang0618
don't be so pessimistic... first of all all these 333s should be placeholders. Second of all these 333s ain't terrible either.

Third of all and most importantly, most reviewers and CX frequent fliers are all complimenting CX lately about it getting back on track with hugely improved soft product (hard product was always great). The food is perfect, seat is perfect maybe the crew can be better but let time fix that. CX is still a top 5 airline in my mind for its consistency of both soft and hard products.
These aren't placeholders, the flights are next month and CX isn't selling PE on them!
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zcd9986
In my opinion, lie-flat business class can be overkill for 2-3 hour short-haul flights,
India flights are 4-6 hours and return are all redeye overnight flights. Lie flat is most certainly not overkill.
TomYoung and Freddorick like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:21 am
Original Poster

These aren't placeholders, the flights are next month and CX isn't selling PE on them!
Not even next month. Later this month just a few weeks away.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:22 am

Looking at the map, CX has kept PE on DXB, PEK and TYO flights. I think it's fairly obvious that these are routes where PE won't substantially eat into J demand (strong premium cabin demand)

Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Looking at the map, CX has kept PE on DXB, PEK and TYO flights. I think it's fairly obvious that these are routes where PE won't substantially eat into J demand (strong premium cabin demand)
BOM/DEL J is usually always relatively full, while it’s often less busy in Y at the back.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by midlevels
India flights are 4-6 hours and return are all redeye overnight flights. Lie flat is most certainly not overkill.
Corporate travel departments may beg to differ.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Corporate travel departments may beg to differ.
Differ or not, these flights typically go full in J.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:34 am

Differ or not, these flights typically go full in J.
All the more reason to cut PE and increase J capacity.

J being full doesn’t preclude the possibility of PE cannibalising J demand. PE and J might function as substitute goods on short haul routes - especially on routes that are served by recliners.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:39 am
Original Poster

J being full doesn’t preclude the possibility of PE cannibalising J demand. PE and J might function as substitute goods on short haul routes - especially on routes that are served by recliners.
1) India is not shorthaul - very much in the mid range.
2) Changing from 77K to 33K actually results in a reduction in premium capacity

There must be some reason, but based on everything I've seen about India flights I am very sure that PE cannibalising J demand has nothing to do with it.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:47 am

1) India is not shorthaul - very much in the mid range.
2) Changing from 77K to 33K actually results in a reduction in premium capacity

There must be some reason, but based on everything I've seen about India flights I am very sure that PE cannibalising J demand has nothing to do with it.
Good point. However, I would point out that PE was simultaneously dropped from TPE, BKK, SIN, PVG, ICN and KIX, so it’s probably due to broader dynamics in premium travel - not India specific.
fairhsa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.