Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

The Pier J will be ex-Sodexo'd on Feb 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Not much more to sat than the subject line: The Pier Business lounge will see Cathay step forward and Sodexo scaled back as of Feb 1. The basic delineation between CX and Sodexo staffing appears to be that Sodexo handles f&b from a prep & service aspect. CX now also has a 'Lounge Ambassador' staff role at both Piers and The Deck, seems very much aimed at just interacting with 'guests' in a very pro-active manner and adding another 'wam human touch' to the lounge/travel experience.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 7:42 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
I stand to be corrected but it is my understanding that the servers are now going to be Cathay employees - it seems that this change has already started.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldchinahand
I stand to be corrected but it is my understanding that the servers are now going to be Cathay employees - it seems that this change has already started.
Interesting... I've been curious about the delineation between Sodexo and CX roles, will look forward to hearing more.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:38 am

This is a welcoming change. The service in Pier F was much better and more personalized after CX took over.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:52 am

Is this a temporary measure whilst they have a surfeit of cabin crew relative to the number of pilots?
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:39 pm

I thought this change had already occurred? When I was in the Pier F last week, the staff had said they had already switched over and they had this new special menu set that they have added since the change (on top of their existing menu of course).

Edit: I misread the title, this was about Pier J, not F

Last edited by retrograde; Jan 26, 2024 at 8:54 pm Reason: Misread title
Old Jan 26, 2024, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by oldchinahand
Yes, that is correct, all front line, customer facing staff will be chosen and hired directly by CX.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by PaulC852
Is this a temporary measure whilst they have a surfeit of cabin crew relative to the number of pilots?
These staff members are not cabin crew. They will work exclusively in the lounges.
Some faces might be familiar since they have worked in the lounges before under Sodexo. However, even those had to apply again for the „new“ job. Others are totally new joiners. However, since they are all hired by CX and not Sodexo anymore, CX has full control who works in their lounges going forward.
oldchinahand likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 7:05 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Good riddance to Sodexo!
Old Jan 28, 2024, 10:14 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
When will they fix the wing - there is a marked difference in service between the two now
VE105 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:56 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
feel awkward to be served by CX uniform agents at Pier.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 4:12 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
They are not 'agents" (obviously an American term) they are restaurant servers that are to be employed by Cathay rather than as previously the contractor.
djsflynn and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:12 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
The red CX unforms definitely look out of place in the lounge. Could be just because its new to me, but I doubt it's a great idea to conflate FAs and waiters / waitresses in the mind of travelers by having them in the same uniform. Kind of an odd management decision.

The blue unforms were a more elegant option, I think
fakecd likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:38 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
The red CX unforms definitely look out of place in the lounge. Could be just because its new to me, but I doubt it's a great idea to conflate FAs and waiters / waitresses in the mind of travelers by having them in the same uniform. Kind of an odd management decision.

The blue unforms were a more elegant option, I think
cant agree more. felt like i was at checkin counter instead of oasis oF lounge
Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

So just to confirm, for my own interest: even the f&b serving staff are in CX uniform?

If so, I'd agree that some visual differentiation would be good - one outfit and 'look' for f&b, with the more familiar CX uniform for more conventional 'customer engagement' roles, primary front desk but also the roaming lounge ambassadors.

That'd be kinda sorta similar to what Malaysia Airlines announced last month, with a seperate uniform for ground handling staff, see https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/hq/...d-uniform.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.