Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Bloomberg: CX cancels 11% of 29/12 flights due to "pilot illness"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2023, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Danny Lee for the win once again.

CX apparently cancelling up to 11% of its Friday flights (today) out of HKG due to "seasonal pilot illness."

A gifted Bloomberg link below if you're interested in the full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...RwlmwPdqGC7b7c
Old Dec 28, 2023, 7:38 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, CX Asia Miles, FlyingBlue, TrueBlue
Sounds like the average day at a UK rail station.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 12:29 am

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
Was talking with crew and apparently between everyone getting sick and pilots timing out (apparently they are limited as to how many hours they can fly a month) as we are towards the end of December, they are really struggling. heard they cancelled 2-3 flights yesterday.
infinitium likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 5:47 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Gifted link must have expired - not working
Old Dec 29, 2023, 5:58 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Link still works for me, however the story is now widely reported in other news media. A quick search on Google News finds at least 10 articles with almost identical copy.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 6:26 pm

Programs: CX Gold
How the mighty have fallen.

A testament to the decline of Hong Kong.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:26 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
"How the mighty have fallen
A testament to the decline of Hong Kong."NZflyer777 your various posts on this forum read rather like a blanket condemnation of all things Cathay or that relate to Hong Kong .
To me me they have nothing much in the way way of useful advice or information to offer and have very little content that relates to the any sort of direct travel experience
Most readers will have realised by this time that you have some sort of personal axe to grind and feel a need to express your dislike of both Cathay and Hong Kong.
.However this forum is I believe about Cathay travel related experiences not a political soapbox and perhaps this is not the correct place to air your political grievances..
Just me personal view as someone that flies often with the airline and actually lives in Hong Kong .
kijhkijh, Reply1984, tfung and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 10:12 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Well I actually find it sad.
an airline that can't run their schedule and then charges customers extra to change flights.
I am also flying Cathay in a few weeks.

Have flown them since 2003.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 11:23 pm

There seems to be some insinuations in the press that Cathay wants to do away with the 900 hours / year cap to help relieve labor shortage issues, but then this would further decrease the fatigue / work life balance that the pilots union have been concerned about.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 12:21 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
This week’s cancellations: PVG、PEK、TPE、DXB、BOM and DAC

國泰今年初至少取消34班機 工會警告機長荒恐延續4年
https://ynews.page.link/WFCnc
infinitium likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
This week’s cancellations: PVG、PEK、TPE、DXB、BOM and DAC

國泰今年初至少取消34班機 工會警告機長荒恐延續4年
https://ynews.page.link/WFCnc
In response to which, Cathay decided to send an email (below) and post a YouTube video about how they’ve grown/restored and to discuss shiny things in the future. They have not bothered to address their failures to provide a reliable service.

This feels rather tone deaf. Someone in PR should have known better (and said something).

Originally Posted by Cathay Pacific
A New Year message from Cathay Group CEO Ronald Lam

I hope you and your family enjoyed a wonderful New Year’s celebration.

As we welcome 2024, I’d like to thank you for all the support you’ve shown Cathay during our journey to rebuild. We’ve achieved a lot together, and it's important that we take the time to reflect.

Over the past year, our teams have been dedicated to reconnecting you with the world, bringing back 70% of our pre-pandemic flights. We’ve reopened our lounges, enhanced our customer care services and invested in the products that matter to you most.

Our achievements were recognised at the 2023 Skytrax Awards, where we placed among the world’s top 10 airlines and were awarded Best Inflight Entertainment. These accolades reflect our commitment to bringing you more.

More to come in 2024

This new year promises even more exciting developments. Our redesigned Boeing 777-300ER aircraft will soon take flight, featuring an exceptional new Business class experience, the Aria Suite, and a new Premium Economy cabin. We’re bringing back more flights to more destinations with more redemption seats available. And we have more than 70 aircraft on order – we’re investing in our future.

Your inflight experience is being taken to new heights, too. We’ve designed new dining menus with Michelin-starred restaurants, including Duddell’s and our newest partner, Louise. We are adding Disney+ Original titles and will also add live sport to our award-winning entertainment library. We are also aiming to expand our complimentary Wi-Fi service beyond First-class passengers to include our Cathay Diamond members and Business Class passengers by mid-2024.

Other promising partnerships

We’re dedicated to deepening our contribution to Hong Kong through our partnerships. In addition to our ongoing commitments to youth development and sporting events, our new partnership with the West Kowloon Cultural District will bring even more arts and cultural discoveries to the city.

As we work towards rebuilding our flights in 2024, we’re determined to keep moving forward and upward with you, our valued members. It’s all part of our vision to become one of the world’s greatest service brands.

Once again, thank you for your longstanding support. We wish you a wonderful year ahead.

Yours sincerely,

Ronald Lam
Chief Executive Officer
Cathay Group

Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, CX Asia Miles, FlyingBlue, TrueBlue
I received the letter and didn't think much of the recent cancelations, since it was meant to be a review of the entire year. The story overall is still very much recovery.

Also didn't expect this kind of corporate PR message to get into the nitty-gritty of operations that much.
Reply1984 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.