Wiki Posts
Search

EU261/ UK261 for connecting flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Macro polo Silver, AA platinum
EU261/ UK261 for connecting flight

Sorry to bring this topic up but i couldnt find any useful information regarding such specific case problem.
I had a ticket with Cathay (all flights are under single ticket) from ZRH-LHR-HKG-PEK, which ZRH-LHR is codeshare and operated by BA, rest are CX.
Two flights were fine and arrived on time, however, while transiting in HKG, HKG-PEK was delayed due to technical issues as we ended up arriving in PEK 3hrs30 later. I wonder in such case, as the whole trip started in countries that are covered by EU261/UK261. Can i still get the compensation due to the last leg delay?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by hahaboy123
Sorry to bring this topic up but i couldnt find any useful information regarding such specific case problem.
I had a ticket with Cathay (all flights are under single ticket) from ZRH-LHR-HKG-PEK, which ZRH-LHR is codeshare and operated by BA, rest are CX.
Two flights were fine and arrived on time, however, while transiting in HKG, HKG-PEK was delayed due to technical issues as we ended up arriving in PEK 3hrs30 later. I wonder in such case, as the whole trip started in countries that are covered by EU261/UK261. Can i still get the compensation due to the last leg delay?

Thanks in advance!
Your delay did not happen in the EU/UK. Also, there was no financial or material cost arising from the delay since this is a terminal leg. What are you trying to claim for.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Macro polo Silver, AA platinum
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Your delay did not happen in the EU/UK. Also, there was no financial or material cost arising from the delay since this is a terminal leg. What are you trying to claim for.
thanks for your response. As I checked online
https://www.euclaim.com/blog/new-com...side-of-the-eu

and

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...x_en.htm#delay

both mentioned final destination, regardless where the delay happens and the first link explicitly describes the similar situation as I encountered. Therefore, i am writing here to see whether anyone has encountered similar situation before and potentially could be useful for anyone in the future.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 5:55 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Yes, it's a valid claim under EC261/2004, but you will have to file the claim in Switzerland. CX is likely to deny it and you can then attempt to pursue it in a Swiss court. UK261 would not apply unless you can demonstrate that the UK has jurisdiction, for example you are a UK resident or you bought it from a UK sales office. Good luck
Old Dec 20, 2023, 6:53 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
EU261 Interpretative Guidelines...
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...801%29&from=EN
last page (annex)
sounds like Journey 2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.