Search

Green to Silver early upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:02 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Green to Silver early upgrade

This year is my son's first flying year. He has 35 status point on hand, and I still have 250 status point from a set of long haul J ticket yet to be credited. My current dilemma is he may not have chance to get any status point before yr end unless we do a mileage run for 15 points, which I am super hesitate. Wonder if I bank in my 250 points now, will there be chance CX upgrade her to Silver despite 15 points shortage. I heard CX used to be quite strict for early upgrading from GR to SL before.

In case if she doesn't fly for the rest of this year, my safe backup would be to bank in those 250 status point in Jan 24 after resetting to zero. Downside is becoming silver 1 yr later in this case and less chance for ops up when traveling together. Lounge access isn't a concern as I am DM.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 4:48 am

If you could do another trip to get those miles then I'd say go for it. Better than leaving it in the hands of CX in my opinion.

For what it's worth, during my mid-teens I flew around 2-3 longhauls trips with CX each year as an Asia Miles member, plus the occasional short-haul trip, albeit all in Y. Back in the day, you needed to be at least 18 years of age to sign up for MPC membership, which is exactly what I did soon after my 18th birthday, after which I became Green as expected. Within weeks however, I logged into my MPC account on CX's website and was astonished to find myself upgraded to SL before even taking a single flight as a GR.

So point is I think CX takes your travel pattern into account. If your son has been flying extensively then you "might" catch a break and find him being offered SL, but I still believe the best solution is to do another trip to rack up the mileage if you and/or your son could afford the time.
dmatthew likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Chatter
This year is my son's first flying year. He has 35 status point on hand, and I still have 250 status point from a set of long haul J ticket yet to be credited. My current dilemma is he may not have chance to get any status point before yr end unless we do a mileage run for 15 points, which I am super hesitate. Wonder if I bank in my 250 points now, will there be chance CX upgrade her to Silver despite 15 points shortage. I heard CX used to be quite strict for early upgrading from GR to SL before.

In case if she doesn't fly for the rest of this year, my safe backup would be to bank in those 250 status point in Jan 24 after resetting to zero. Downside is becoming silver 1 yr later in this case and less chance for ops up when traveling together. Lounge access isn't a concern as I am DM.
How does your son upgrade at 50 points? I am reading the 250 points are yours no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.