Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Special Status Renewal / Upgrade DEC2023~MAR2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: CXDM
Cathay special offer to retain or upgrade membership

Just received this from cathay! Quite a surprise given the retention and upgrade requirements for Gold. Thoughts?

Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:48 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

Just received CX's email on the reduced requirement for status renewal or upgrade between DEC2023 and MAR2024. Details can be found at https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ewal_2023.html. Seems one need to log in to view the page.

Threshold for SL, GO, and DM are lowered to 210, 420, and 840, respectively. Those that meet the original requirements are given 100, 200, and 400 bonus status points for the next membership year, just like last year.

I'm currently GO. Now, my dilemma is whether or not to aim for 840 and a taste of DM, or get the 200 status points which will make it easier for me to renew GO next year. CX has given us bonus status points at the beginning of the year, and with the reduced requireement, CX is essentially saying that those who fly enough for SL can be GO, while those who fly enough for GO can be DM.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 1:06 am

Similar situation here. GO with 525 status points with a couple of short haul flights booked. Wondering if I should do an additional flight for say 50 points in order to get that extra 200 status points for next year
Old Sep 28, 2023, 1:10 am
feh

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air Astana
Wondering whether this means that a lot of MP members have basically been priced off of CX? Or priced down classes - with PEY on long hauls costing more than J used to, I've had to both revert to the "back end" and also switch away from CX as clients can't/won't pay what CX is asking.
Alawyer, fairhsa, blum81 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 1:27 am

Programs: MPC Gold
In a different boat from the GO members here.

Currently SL but will have 811 Status points by early December 2023. Instead of the 211 points above 600 that I could have earned, will be provided Gold membership and the extra 200 points.

I initially thought even SL members have a chance to taste diamond @ 840 points but upon reading the terms and conditions, you can only jump one status tier.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
They must be really hurting.

I think this rollover of mid-tier bennies means I'm going to have 12 system wide upgrades to burn in 2024, and precious little F class options in which to do so.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 1:43 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by feh
Wondering whether this means that a lot of MP members have basically been priced off of CX? Or priced down classes - with PEY on long hauls costing more than J used to, I've had to both revert to the "back end" and also switch away from CX as clients can't/won't pay what CX is asking.
I've been priced off. Haven't flown Cathay since before covid. I've made 4 longhaul flights the past 1.5 years back to YVR from KUL which would have been on Cathay and got me closer to the 840 requirement, but I simply can't afford their ridiculous prices. Flew ANA/United business on the 4 trips.

I've been sitting at 400 points mainly due to the last year promo, but not many flights I can use towards my MP points. Wife and I already accepted we're done with Cathay and that I'll lose my diamond status at the end of the year.

I will sincerely miss the Pier lounges though. Do hope I get 1 last diamond member dinner invite in KL though haha
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:05 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I would guess many business travellers weren't going to be keeping their status since business travel is down.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:36 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Also based on this chart, you will get a soft landing if you don't have enough points to renew your current status. Your new status will depend on the number of points you have at the end of the year.

Depending on how much you had flown in 2023, this may mean you may be downgraded from Diamond to Gold (with 420) or Silver (210). This is better than 2022 where there was no soft landing policy if you couldn't fly at all.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:36 am

Programs: CX GO
Interesting offer. I'm GO currently at 390pts, and with little chance of more business travel this year, I had happily accepted being SL next year.

But suddenly the 30 I need for GO renewal are in reach - a short haul BA business class return from LHR should be enough! It'll have to come from my own pocket though...

Question is whether it's worth it. Having flown CX from UK to Taiwan a couple of months ago (for the first time as GO, and first CX flight of any kind since the pandemic), I was very impressed with the service, and even picked up a W->J op-up on one of the LHR-HKG legs which I perhaps wouldn't have got as SL, so I'm sorely tempted. Being OWS is also nice to have, being UK based.

Decisions, decisions...
dmatthew and nastypenman like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:42 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Originally Posted by mnt10
Being OWS is also nice to have, being UK based. Decisions, decisions...
As a Gold member, other than the CX lounge which you already have access to as Silver, you will get access to all of the OW lounges in LHR.

So it depends how much you want that pavlova at the Qantas lounge!
Old Sep 28, 2023, 4:03 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by feh
I've flown other airlines this year because of the high cathay prices. I won't downgrade due to high blood clot risk. So I've flown a lot of PAL (HK - Aus via Manila), Etihad (to UK), even Swiss to UK.... previously these would all have been CX. So yes, I think you are right.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 4:42 am

Programs: CX GO
Originally Posted by Alawyer
As a Gold member, other than the CX lounge which you already have access to as Silver, you will get access to all of the OW lounges in LHR.

So it depends how much you want that pavlova at the Qantas lounge!
True! It's always nice to have choice :-)

But more useful is the lounge access when flying BA as OWS, although it sounds like the T5 lounges are full to bursting at the moment...
Old Sep 28, 2023, 6:37 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
My dilemma is now if i should remove my FFP for my nov and dec flights and retro claim in 2024. Now that I past the 420 GO threshold
Old Sep 28, 2023, 7:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I reset earlier this month (after 1600 status points in 8 months) so my year now ends in Sept 2024.

based on the announcement (especially the last FAQ), I won’t be eligible for anything. So I contributed so much to CX for the first three quarters this year, but they’re not going to give me anything now while everyone else gets 400 SPs or discounted renewals.

this definitely makes commercial sense I’m sure……
royng likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.