Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best mileage runs ex-LHR to redeem Diamond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2023, 6:17 am
Original Poster

I am currently based in the UK and want to retain my CX Diamond. I will fly CX before the status expires. Can anyone let me know the best routes to fly in Business/First to maximise the potential for earning status points? Thank you
Old Sep 11, 2023, 6:54 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Hi keepitfirstclass ... appreciate you aren't a regular poster, so let's say that we are willing to help, but would need a bit more direction, by which I mean:
  • How many status points short are you on renewal?
  • How much time do you have till the status expires?
  • Is LON a typical base, or just a temporary "6 month" kind of stint?
  • How much $$$ are you looking to spend on this renewal - and hence,
  • What value are you getting out of Diamond (e.g. BA Gold is often easier to achieve if you live in the UK and gives almost the same benefits if you rarely fly CX, and want F lounge access in HKG)

As the obvious answer is do a couple of CX F round trips to Tokyo - may not be the most economical but is the only Europe-Asia-Asia route with F only ... and many of the old "cheats" such as TPE, MNL don't work as well as they used to, as the ticket rules have changed, there is less nesting, and shorter "max" layovers. RTW F tickets can also be fun of course... but again, the cheapest tend to be started in Tokyo at the moment, not LON nor HKG.
DiamondMile and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you, was actually looking at RTW tickets. I am based in the UK and now mostly fly BA but still holding onto my CX Diamond. I am about half way there (600 points) so need to do another 600 before it expires at the end of the year. London has been a base for a while but not necessarily looking at maintaining it.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 9:16 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Before Covid, departure from OSL/ARN to Australia via LHR and HKG was a great bargain for mileage run. (OSL/ARN vv LHR operated by BA)
One return business class ticket could accumulate 370 status points and cost about 3250 USD.
Maybe it is worth to check it on CX website.

Moreover, for base in UK mileage run, it is better to check BA forum.
DiamondMile and HarbourGent like this.

Last edited by wyskevin; Sep 11, 2023 at 9:21 pm
Old Sep 15, 2023, 7:12 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by keepitfirstclass
Thank you, was actually looking at RTW tickets. I am based in the UK and now mostly fly BA but still holding onto my CX Diamond. I am about half way there (600 points) so need to do another 600 before it expires at the end of the year. London has been a base for a while but not necessarily looking at maintaining it.
(sorry for the delayed response)
Honestly, and I am an ex-BA flyer based in HKG now, and has been for seven years. So I would say that you would be better switching to BA at this half way stage. At half way on CX Diamond you could probably already be BA Gold, especially if you fly them a lot.
The reason I stuck with BA for crediting is as follows:
  • With BA I "easily" make BA Gold each year based on flights, my minor niggle is finding time for the 4 BA flights (hello LHR-DUB-EDI-LHR-MAN on a day to get the 4 segments, now replaced by BA codeshares on HKG-DOH-LHR), but on CX I would struggle to make Diamond
    • By this I mean, one RTW on oneworld, or 3x a HKG-LHR return on Qatar is BA Gold. On Cathay (direct) you'd be doing 5-6 flights at least, and probably 2xRTW tickets
  • BA Gold has pretty much the same perks as Diamond when flying on Cathay (CX first class lounge, personalised intro on the flight, extra perks in economy, water bottles, extra booze), except for the same level of upgrade priority in economy/premium economy (i.e. CX diamond much more likely than One World Emerald, or OWE, to be upgraded). But, if you are flying a lot on BA, the alternative applies.... it's obviously less of a perk, but BA Gold is more likely to be upgraded than a CX Diamond inside of Europe
  • Both Avios and CX have devalued their miles programs recently (and significantly). CX gives you more availability on CX flights by far, but you are based in LON so this gives you no benefit, and you are better earning Asia Miles via a credit card
  • BA has lifetime status, approx. 15 years of OWE flying and you get lifetime OWE status (lifetime for you, or the airline of course)

Notes to be careful of:
  1. Getting to BA gold takes a mixture of flights for tier points, plus BA/codeshare flights.... so it will take a bit of effort. You need to be aware of the tier point levels and the BA flights to optimise the path. But honestly if you are flying BA regularly it should be fairly easy.
  2. If you are going to move back to HKG within the next two years (are you sure?) it may not make sense as CX has the same stepping stone to Diamond of course
  3. If you fly business anyway most times, best to just ignore the mileage programs and then enjoy a few of the middle eastern airlines, as long as you are doing long-haul flights regularly, and buy on price
So in my case I do OWE status via BA, but earn far more miles on credit card spending with Amex, where I can choose the program to manage the devaluation risk
moondog and SW7London like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
If you are based in UK, BAEC makes much more sense.
Easier to reach Gold (OWE) if you fly some J.
Easier to gat miles by credit card and other means.
No worry for the 4 qualyfying segments
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.