Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Question about Cathay's Status Points - NOT Asia Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2023, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone!

I have a question about Cathay's Status points. I've accumulated 275 status points, and will expire on Dec 31, 2023. What can I do with it?

From what I know I can do:
Option 1: 200 pts redeem 1 business class lounge pass
Option 2: 300 pts can upgrade to Silver status but I'm 25 pts short

Concerns I have with both options:
Option 1:
- I normally redeem Asia Miles for YYZ to HKG J class so I don't really need a lounge pass. However, I fly between HKG and TPE/TYO/SEA countries in Y sometimes, so this might come in handy.
- If I go with this option, essentially I will be forfeiting the remaining 75 pts
- When does the lounge pass expire?

Option 2:
- Is the Silver status worth chasing? I have an upcoming trip in September. I still need to purchase flights for HKG to KUL and KUL to SIN in Y.
- When does the Silver status expire?

Thanks
Old Aug 9, 2023, 4:27 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by h0ney13
Hi everyone!

I have a question about Cathay's Status points. I've accumulated 275 status points, and will expire on Dec 31, 2023. What can I do with it?

From what I know I can do:
Option 1: 200 pts redeem 1 business class lounge pass
Option 2: 300 pts can upgrade to Silver status but I'm 25 pts short

Concerns I have with both options:
Option 1:
- I normally redeem Asia Miles for YYZ to HKG J class so I don't really need a lounge pass. However, I fly between HKG and TPE/TYO/SEA countries in Y sometimes, so this might come in handy.
- If I go with this option, essentially I will be forfeiting the remaining 75 pts
- When does the lounge pass expire?

Option 2:
- Is the Silver status worth chasing? I have an upcoming trip in September. I still need to purchase flights for HKG to KUL and KUL to SIN in Y.
- When does the Silver status expire?

Thanks
You don't "redeem" status points. You should have already received a lounge invitation when you reached 200 status points. It should have a 1-year validity from the time you hit 200 status points. All lounge invitations expiring in 2023 have their expiry moved to 31DEC2023.

Once you hit 300 status points, your membership will automatically be upgraded to SL, valid for 12 months (until the end of that month, so it may be anywhere between "12 months" and "13 months minus 1 day"). If you have an upcoming trip in Sep., you should be able to strategically buy the right fare and subclass to take you over the limit. Use your lounge pass now because once you are SL, you get lounge access anyway (unless you want to save the lounge invitation for your companion). You may want to consider not including your membership on some of the flights (but not the one you will use lounge invitation for), so you can delay the status points crediting, so your SL membership can start later and end later. You can retro-claim your status points in early Dec. Despite the recent devaluation, CX SL is still a very valuable entry-level élite status, offering lounge access when flying with CX.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 5:48 am

Sorry to hijack…I have a similar kind of question:
  • I am currently silver which expires on 31 Dec 2023
  • Currently got 215 points
  • Got a return flight in J to LHR in August which should earn 90 points each way.

When the HKG-LHR leg gets credited in Aug (90 points) that will take me to 305 which qualifies for silver again.

Does anyone know if my membership year will automatically reset at this point? If so then that would not be ideal as that means I effectively lose at least 4 months of having “silver”.

Does anyone have any strategies so that I can only renew my silver in December so effectively I get to keep silver until Dec 2024?

I think if I leave off my membership number on the aug flight then do a retrospective credit in Dec then that might work? But would I then lose the 95 tier points? (Retrospectively claim back 180points but only need 85 for renewal)

Is there anyway to retrospectively claim one way on Dec then submit another request for the return leg in Jan 2024?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by twonga; Aug 10, 2023 at 5:57 am
Old Aug 10, 2023, 7:03 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by twonga
  • Got a return flight in J to LHR in August which should earn 90 points each way.

When the HKG-LHR leg gets credited in Aug (90 points) that will take me to 305 which qualifies for silver again.

Does anyone know if my membership year will automatically reset at this point? If so then that would not be ideal as that means I effectively lose at least 4 months of having “silver”.

Does anyone have any strategies so that I can only renew my silver in December so effectively I get to keep silver until Dec 2024?

I think if I leave off my membership number on the aug flight then do a retrospective credit in Dec then that might work? But would I then lose the 95 tier points? (Retrospectively claim back 180points but only need 85 for renewal)

Is there anyway to retrospectively claim one way on Dec then submit another request for the return leg in Jan 2024?

Thanks in advance
No, requalifying for SL will NOT reset your membership year. Only upgrades (to GO, for your case) will reset your membership year.
PaulC852 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
No, requalifying for SL will NOT reset your membership year. Only upgrades (to GO, for your case) will reset your membership year.
thanks for your response. That would mean my current silver would continue to run until dec 2023 and then renew again until Dec 2024.

Do you know if it’s possible I just credit the HKG-LHR leg (90 points) in Aug which will take me to 305 points, and then remove my membership for the return leg? Then in jan 2024 retrospectively claim the 90 points for the return leg? (After my silver has renewed for another year)

thanks
Old Aug 10, 2023, 10:25 am

thanks for your response. That would mean my current silver would continue to run until dec 2023 and then renew again until Dec 2024.

Do you know if it’s possible I just credit the HKG-LHR leg (90 points) in Aug which will take me to 305 points, and then remove my membership for the return leg? Then in jan 2024 retrospectively claim the 90 points for the return leg? (After my silver has renewed for another year)

thanks
Yes, you can, and I would recommend that given you lose almost nothing as a J pax (except the very slim chance of op-up to F). After your HKG-LHR is completed and credited, call CX to remove your membership number, assuming you have a couple of days in between.
twonga likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

deleted
Old Aug 10, 2023, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
You don't "redeem" status points. You should have already received a lounge invitation when you reached 200 status points. It should have a 1-year validity from the time you hit 200 status points. All lounge invitations expiring in 2023 have their expiry moved to 31DEC2023.

Once you hit 300 status points, your membership will automatically be upgraded to SL, valid for 12 months (until the end of that month, so it may be anywhere between "12 months" and "13 months minus 1 day"). If you have an upcoming trip in Sep., you should be able to strategically buy the right fare and subclass to take you over the limit. Use your lounge pass now because once you are SL, you get lounge access anyway (unless you want to save the lounge invitation for your companion). You may want to consider not including your membership on some of the flights (but not the one you will use lounge invitation for), so you can delay the status points crediting, so your SL membership can start later and end later. You can retro-claim your status points in early Dec. Despite the recent devaluation, CX SL is still a very valuable entry-level élite status, offering lounge access when flying with CX.
Thank you so much for explaining everything!

Turns out my lounge pass expires on March 31 2024.

Checked how much I'll need to spend. Multi-city ticket from HKG to KUL to SIN in Economy Essential will cost $7,214HKD earning 23 status points - still 2 pts short to SL Also, the cost is too high to justify the price.

Another question. Is it possible to extend the lounge pass' expiry date? I won't be able to use this September since I'll be flying J, and I have a companion for the Y legs so I can't just leave her. I also don't foresee myself flying back to Asia (I'm from Canada) until next summer.

Thanks!
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Another question. Is it possible to extend the lounge pass' expiry date? I won't be able to use this September since I'll be flying J, and I have a companion for the Y legs so I can't just leave her. I also don't foresee myself flying back to Asia (I'm from Canada) until next summer.

Thanks!
Just give the lounge pass to your companion to use
Old Aug 10, 2023, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Yes, you can, and I would recommend that given you lose almost nothing as a J pax (except the very slim chance of op-up to F). After your HKG-LHR is completed and credited, call CX to remove your membership number, assuming you have a couple of days in between.
thanks and much appreciated. I will try this and hope the return leg don’t automatically get credited.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 11:28 am

Another question. Is it possible to extend the lounge pass' expiry date?
I don't think so
Old Sep 5, 2023, 11:41 pm

Programs: Asia Miles, Cathay
Green Status Points

The Account overview page mentions that my status points will expire by 31st August 2023. I am at 198 points and I am due to travel quite a bit until the end of this year, however I will miss acquiring 300 pts before the 31s October deadline. Is there a way that I could extend my status expiration date? or the expiration date of 31st dec 2023 is applicable to all?
Old Sep 6, 2023, 2:51 am

Programs: MPC Gold
Try speaking to a Cathay Pacific customer representative. They may be able to extend your status expiration date.
db15 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by dmatthew
Try speaking to a Cathay Pacific customer representative. They may be able to extend your status expiration date.
My past experience is they will not be able to extend status expiration. Rather, they can put a note saying that if you get x status points before a certain date, they will then upgrade you to SL. Your old status points will still expire on the original date.
dmatthew and db15 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 3:23 am

Programs: CX DM, AA Plat Pro, SQ Gold, EK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold

Thanks in advance

Hi, retrospective claims for missing miles and points can be made up to 6 months after the flight, so you can wait till first week of December to claim your first sector for 90 points; once your membership resets, you can claim the second sector and the 90 points will go towards your new membership year which will be from December 2024 to December 2025.
twonga likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.