Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Aria Suite

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by cx4ever
My favourite thing about the CX seat compared to any other J seat is that while sleeping, I can roll over to a different side without banging my knees on a tray table or TV (and there's just way more room for my legs in general).
That is exactly what I liked about the CX seat as well!
dodgeflyer, l380, lsquare and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, Asia Miles, GarudaMiles
Originally Posted by CX HK
Slight correction, it's on their 77W's, not their old 777-300's
It did mention 777-300ER in their website. https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...edesigned.html

Well I wonder is that the reason most 777-300ER both from SIN and CGK to HKG are not available? Because they prepare to retrofit the new cabin?
Old Aug 7, 2023, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Stephen_L
Looks like it is the Safran Versa Platform and all the pictures I've seen point to a fixed TV, maybe that is why.
Good catch, this is definitely the Safran Versa. Makes sense considering it's actually the successor to the Cirrus.

Another note: It's not obvious in the clip, but there appears to be a full divider separating the middle seats. The option for a divider is shown more clearly in the website below, and there is a gap between the tables of the middle seats in CX's clip. I see this as an improvement (having the option to raise the divider), and it seems more elegantly done than the Super Diamond seats like the BA Club Suite.

https://thedesignair.net/2019/04/27/...fferent-breed/

Compared to other airlines with a reverse herringbone platform, it's hard to identify potential areas of differentiation. Apart from the probably 4K TV screen and entertainment options, the difference in the PaxEx will have to come from the bedding, food, and service.
percysmith and lsquare like this.

Last edited by cx4ever; Aug 7, 2023 at 8:37 am
Old Aug 7, 2023, 8:08 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Good catch, this is definitely the Safran Versa. Makes sense considering it's actually the successor to the Cirrus. It's not obvious in the clip, but there appears to be a full divider separating the middle seats. The option for a divider is shown more clearly in the website below, and there is a gap between the tables of the middle seats in CX's clip.

https://thedesignair.net/2019/04/27/...fferent-breed/

Compared to other airlines with a reverse herringbone platform, it's hard to identify potential areas of differentiation. Apart from the probably 4K TV screen and entertainment options, the difference in the PaxEx will have to come from the bedding, food, and service.
Agree. The full divider and orientation of middle seats are the tie breakers.

Did Safran inherit all the Zodiac seat manufacturing problems?
Old Aug 7, 2023, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Collins seats e.g. Starlux and Qatar old Super Diamond are fixed screen also
Yeah but I feel like the shape of the shelf is a dead giveaway that it's the Versa.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The Safran Versa already equips some of the AF 77Ws
One disadvantage, for those sleeping on the side, is that you can only fir your knees on one side.
l380 and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 9:22 am

Looking forward to trying this on a day flight. So far, not at all looking forward to trying this on an overnight… Fixed TVs and/or tables that get stored under TVs are a major negative. Some have managed to get this right (e.g. EY) but many have not (e.g. QR).
dodgeflyer, l380 and TomYoung like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Unhappy Absolute nightmare for side sleeper

Originally Posted by CXYYZ
Looking forward to trying this on a day flight. So far, not at all looking forward to trying this on an overnight… Fixed TVs and/or tables that get stored under TVs are a major negative. Some have managed to get this right (e.g. EY) but many have not (e.g. QR).
Confusingly it looks a little bit more like a Super Diamond shell than a Zodiac Cirrus. My favourite thing about the CX seat compared to any other J seat is that while sleeping, I can roll over to a different side without banging my knees on a tray table or TV (and there's just way more room for my legs in general). Hopefully they haven't gone for the fixed TV option but it definitely looks like it.
I just flew on AC Signature Seat. It is a nightmare with the huge TV and table mount right on top of the hip. Since I am 60/40 for side/back sleeper, I really hate these seats with a passion..... There is no way to turn to my side without banging/bruising my knees, legs and hips. Absolutely feels like a coffin for my lower body.... As a result, I barely caught any shut eye on a 13 hours flight. In fact I was just ranting about this on the AC board. I will actively try to avoid these CX new seats as much as possible....

I do wonder why these seats are so popular besides the enhancement of the door... Perhaps there is financial incentive....

I do wish CX can just modify the current seats with a door then it will be perfect. Why fix something that is NOT broken. #wishfulthinking
TomYoung likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Mannnn. I am flying LAX-HKG in February 2024 and I am going to miss this seat by a month or two.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 12:34 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Interesting... a completely new hard product platform for business class. Let's hope it doesn't fall apart quickly like the seats in the early A350-900's. Oh boy.

What other airlines are using these seats? QR? LH? AA?

That's going to be a lot of new training for in-flight and ground crew (e.g., to repair). Plus, a retrofit? That's going to take a huge chunk of cash. Goodness.

-Chris
Old Aug 7, 2023, 12:59 pm

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Who’s the manufacturer for JPA’s Airtek seat?

https://jpadesign.com/product/airtek/
Old Aug 7, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Confusingly it looks a little bit more like a Super Diamond shell than a Zodiac Cirrus. My favourite thing about the CX seat compared to any other J seat is that while sleeping, I can roll over to a different side without banging my knees on a tray table or TV (and there's just way more room for my legs in general). Hopefully they haven't gone for the fixed TV option but it definitely looks like it.
Only flown CX J 2 x but have to agree with what you said. On the 777 it felt wide & turning to a diff side was easy and not obstructed. My other time was on the A350 and I felt like it was the longest J seat I have ever sat in, well I guess Apex window is quite long. But compared to AA 77W which I think is the same seat (?) CX felt so much longer which was nice.
TomYoung likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:56 pm

Just a few random thoughts from overnight.

* Still not convinced on which seat is the platform for Aria. I can see arguments for several models, even JPA's own Airtek, but at this stage of the game the seat would pretty much already need to be certified for a Q2 debut.

* I'm suspecting this is either the same seat intended for the CX 777-9 or a variant of such. I know the delays to the 777X gave Cathay an opportunity to revisit and refine its 777X product line, and I know that Cathay took advantage of that opportunity.

* this would no doubt be what JPA's been working on, see https://jpadesign.com/product/cathay-pacific/ and "We have partnered with Cathay Pacific to design and develop their next generation of aircraft cabin interiors."

* either way, at some stage JPA and the seat manufacturer are likely to issue their own media releases citing their involvement in this, but that's usually in concert with (and sometimes lagging by a day!) the official launch or announcement by the airline, and we're not at announcement stage now, this is just a tease what could end up as the dance of the seven veils.

* the decision to name the seat as 'Aria' is an interesting one, and follows from a few other airlines, most recently Lufthansa's Allegris family (with that made-up moniker covering a whole generation of products from first to economy) and of course Qatar Airways' Qsuite, although that name belongs to a specific product within the business class family. BA's Club Suite is similar, it's a specific hard product which evolved its name from the Club World category, Yes, United has Polaris but officially 'Polaris' is the name for United's actual 'business class' – the seats, cabin, lounges, the whole business class 'experience' - rather than just the newest business class seat.

* I'm putting money on Aria being Cathay's new branded hard product line, at least in the premium cabin, so I'd be surprised if we did not see an Aria first class suite to follow.

Last edited by djsflynn; Aug 7, 2023 at 5:51 pm
Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:02 pm

PS and FWIW - Cathay's FY23 interim results land tomorrow, with a media briefing following at 1pm HK. Speculate what you will about the fortuitous timing of this tease so close to financials, but there'll obviously be some media questions lodged on Aria and related aspects such as "what about first class?". Whether CX takes those questions and how much info it shares on this product front remains to be seen. (I'll be away on hols, otherwise would definitely be dialling in and asking on Aria).
ernestnywang and aquanine like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:45 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If it is the Safran seat let’s hope they’ve gotten over their quality control and supply chain issues. I’m not convinced they have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.