Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

upgrade confirmed as paid... error on CX website

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2023, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold/OW Sapphire

Here's an interesting one - wondering if anyone has run into a similar situation.

I credit to Qatar & found out after booking my flight in Economy Lite that I'd get no Qpoints/miles on the booking code. (Sidenote - why does CX not share the booking code until after you pay for your flight??? Very inconvenient).

When I saw the issue, I tried around 10-15 times over a week's time to change my booking from Lite to Flex. Every time I got an error somewhere along the process. I was finally able to complete my booking tonight (or so I thought). I paid with Allipay, got confirmation in Aliipay, was sent back to the CX website, and..... ERROR (I unfortunately didn't quite catch it - possibly that one segment had no Flex tix available, but not 100% sure).

Called CX immediately (after confirming in my email and the website that I didn't have a Flex ticket). The first agent kept trying to get me to pay to upgrade. After she finally understood that I had already paid, she said that I should pay again & my initial payment would be refunded within 24 hours. That sounded troubling to me, but before I had a chance to ask more questions she disconnected my call. The second agent was very friendly, went through everything, but said she'd need 24 hours to review & get back to me.

A. Has anyone had a similar issue? Seems very bizarre to me.
B. Am I likely just going to get rejected & refunded? If so, I'll call back tomorrow before I hear back & book it over the phone... I really would like the Qpoints for these flights.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 2:53 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by indomie
I credit to Qatar & found out after booking my flight in Economy Lite that I'd get no Qpoints/miles on the booking code. (Sidenote - why does CX not share the booking code until after you pay for your flight??? Very inconvenient).

When I saw the issue, I tried around 10-15 times over a week's time to change my booking from Lite to Flex.
FYI, changing the ticket from Light to Essential or Flex will not make it eligible for QR miles, if the booking class remains the same. On the other hand, you can earn QR miles with a Light fare as long as the booking class is V class or above, per https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...AYPACIFIC.html. You need to change to a higher booking class, not a higher fare within the same booking class.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 9:44 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Here's an interesting one - wondering if anyone has run into a similar situation.

When I saw the issue, I tried around 10-15 times over a week's time to change my booking from Lite to Flex. Every time I got an error somewhere along the process. I was finally able to complete my booking tonight (or so I thought). I paid with Allipay, got confirmation in Aliipay, was sent back to the CX website, and..... ERROR (I unfortunately didn't quite catch it - possibly that one segment had no Flex tix available, but not 100% sure).

Called CX immediately (after confirming in my email and the website that I didn't have a Flex ticket). The first agent kept trying to get me to pay to upgrade. After she finally understood that I had already paid, she said that I should pay again & my initial payment would be refunded within 24 hours. That sounded troubling to me, but before I had a chance to ask more questions she disconnected my call. The second agent was very friendly, went through everything, but said she'd need 24 hours to review & get back to me.

A. Has anyone had a similar issue? Seems very bizarre to me.
B. Am I likely just going to get rejected & refunded? If so, I'll call back tomorrow before I hear back & book it over the phone... I really would like the Qpoints for these flights.
Maybe, just ask to get the whole canceled and redo? Withholding the booking class, before you paid, is a case of misleading the customer.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
FYI, changing the ticket from Light to Essential or Flex will not make it eligible for QR miles, if the booking class remains the same. On the other hand, you can earn QR miles with a Light fare as long as the booking class is V class or above, per https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...AYPACIFIC.html. You need to change to a higher booking class, not a higher fare within the same booking class.
Yes - thanks. That's a good point. I called in last week about changing it to Essential. The outbound trip had an eligible booking class but the return didn't. Changing to Flex made it eligible both ways.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cambo
Maybe, just ask to get the whole canceled and redo? Withholding the booking class, before you paid, is a case of misleading the customer.
If I do it by phone (at least in my experience calling about simply upgrading the fare type) the amount quoted by the agents was far higher than I was seeing online. Like 2-3x higher.

As for misleading the consumer, for whatever reason they simply don't show the booking class. In the future, I'll either have to limit my flying on CX or call in EVERY time to find out what the booking classes are. I like flying them, but the lack of booking class pre-purchase is really inconvenient. Not to mention this particular experience I'm having...
royng likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 6:56 am
Original Poster

So (in case this comes up for someone in the future) I did receive a call back & they will be refunding my purchase back to Alipay within 24 hours.

I did also ask her to pass on a message that it would be very helpful to OneWorld partners if Cathay Pacific would share the booking class prior to purchasing the tickets as I see now that any future economy tickets will necessitate a call to Customer Service & time wasted for them and me.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is indeed very annoying that CX does not share the booking bucket before booking.
All Light, essential or flex, are issued in the same booking class at the time of booking, so moving from light to flex won't change the fare bucket.
To get a fare bucket that credit to QR you need to call and might need to pay a much more expensive fare.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
As for misleading the consumer, for whatever reason they simply don't show the booking class. In the future, I'll either have to limit my flying on CX or call in EVERY time to find out what the booking classes are. I like flying them, but the lack of booking class pre-purchase is really inconvenient. Not to mention this particular experience I'm having...
If you use https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search and see a matching fare, you know the booking class.
indomie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.