Search

Cathay Pacific Flight 451

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2023, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Cathay Pacific Flight 451

This seems to be a really interesting flight. I'm currently looking for a TYO-HKG fare and this pop-up. Usually, CX would fly from a city to HKG, but instead it's doing a layover at TPE. What's going on? Can I get off the plane and visit the CX lounge when it reopens or I'll have to stay on the plane? I'm assuming there is a similar HKG-TPE-TYO flight?
Old Jun 6, 2023, 6:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Yes, but the TPE lounge is not reopening anytime soon
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

We did a CX flight TYO-TPE-HKG pre covid and we changed in tpe. We did have transit security and a little time in the cx lounge ( time for a quick soft drink then back to the gate for boarding) which was open pre covid. lounge was good but you only spent 10or so mins there. The landing also adds more travel time. Would route non stop hkg tyo unless a considerable money saving or breaking the journey in tpe for a day or two

Regards

TBS
lsquare, HarbourGent and wyskevin like this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jun 6, 2023 at 6:41 am
Old Jun 6, 2023, 10:36 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
TPE lounge looks to be opening prior August. which perhaps qualifies as soon ?
Old Jun 6, 2023, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Yes, but the TPE lounge is not reopening anytime soon
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

We did a CX flight TYO-TPE-HKG pre covid and we changed in tpe. We did have transit security and a little time in the cx lounge ( time for a quick soft drink then back to the gate for boarding) which was open pre covid. lounge was good but you only spent 10or so mins there. The landing also adds more travel time. Would route non stop hkg tyo unless a considerable money saving or breaking the journey in tpe for a day or two

Regards

TBS
How is CX able to do this? Did they negotiate an agreement with Taiwan?
Old Jun 6, 2023, 10:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
My understanding is the majority of equipment in the TPE lounge were damaged beyond repair during a rainstorm induced flooding at TPE airport some time ago. So the lounge won’t reopen this year
Old Jun 6, 2023, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
My understanding is the majority of equipment in the TPE lounge were damaged beyond repair during a rainstorm induced flooding at TPE airport some time ago. So the lounge won’t reopen this year
When did you hear that?
Old Jun 7, 2023, 12:26 am

Pre-COVID, CX had several flights with a stop in TPE, then to/from NRT, KIX, NGO (?), and I think even ICN.

Now, it looks like only CX 450/451 and CX 564/565 have been reinstated.

Several times in the past, instead of taking CX 451 from NRT-TPE-HKG, I would take CX 451 and then transfer to CX 565 in TPE. That would give me one extra sector for MPC qualification.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Pre-COVID, CX had several flights with a stop in TPE, then to/from NRT, KIX, NGO (?), and I think even ICN.

Several times in the past, instead of taking CX 451 from NRT-TPE-HKG, I would take CX 451 and then transfer to CX 565 in TPE. That would give me one extra sector for MPC qualification.
Why would CX do a layover at TPE? Not that I'm against it since it gets me more segments/TPs.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Why would CX do a layover at TPE? Not that I'm against it since it gets me more segments/TPs.
To pick up and deplane passengers getting on/off at TPE.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 2:01 am

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
I remember it was an exchange of fifth freedom rights between Hong Kong and Taiwan, whereby CX gets Japan and Korea ex-TPE while CI/BR gets South East Asia ex-HKG. Until a few years ago CI still operated CGK/SUB-HKG-TPE.

The timings for 450/451 and 564/565 are very nice for Taiwanese visiting Japan.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by jysim; Jun 7, 2023 at 2:11 am
Old Jun 7, 2023, 2:06 am

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon

You're spot on. There were TPE-NRT/KIX/NGO/ICN.

On a HKG-TPE-ICN flight pre pandemic, after landing in TPE the crew doing the PA, probably too eager to end her shift, announced "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Seoul! The local time is xx:xx..."

An abrupt moment of silence later, presumably alerted by her glaring ISM, she came back "I beg your pardon, we have just arrived in Taipei. Seoul is our next leg."

Interesting days back then.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jysim
I remember it was an exchange of fifth freedom rights between Hong Kong and Taiwan, whereby CX gets Japan and Korea ex-TPE while CI/BR gets South East Asia ex-HKG. Until a few years ago CI still operated CGK/SUB-HKG-TPE.

The timings for 450/451 and 564/565 are very nice for Taiwanese visiting Japan.
This is the answer that I'm looking for. Thank you.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 7:30 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
G soon-CIVIC I disagree - having been told that the lounge WILL repen soon _time of course will tell
Old Jun 8, 2023, 1:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
The HK/TW agreement goes back decades. As jysim said it was a Northeast Asia/Southeast Asia Quid Pro Quo partly driven by Cold War politics

In the 1980s/90s CI flew HKG-SIN/BKK/KUL as well as Jakarta. They were always cheapest in the market to these destinations along with Qantas.

I have flown CX on TPE-FUK/KIX/NRT/Seoul (Both Kimpo and Incheon). The FUK flight was switched to become the second Tokyo just before Covid. Lounge access was never a problem.

In addition Japan Asia Airways (JL's Taiwan operation) flew HKG-TPE-KIX (always a good flight with excellent crews)
uanj and jysim like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.