Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific Asia Miles Expired/Reinstatement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2023, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Posting to see anybody has recent experiences with getting their expired miles reinstated lately?

My 150K miles were expired May 31st, and they required 10K reinstatement challenges. Different representatives gave me different answers. Flying partner flights and crediting Asia Miles doesn't work. One presentative said you have to transfer from two same-category partners (e.g. finance partners like Citi + AMEX). Another presentative said you have to EARN from two different-category partners (e.g. Marriott + Citi). She also said transferring points from hotel doesn't work. Instead I have to stay with the hotel. But this post (titled How to Reinstate Expiring Cathay Pacific Miles, sorry the system doesn't allow me to post url) I found online seemed to indicate transferring points from hotels does work.

I'm just super confused. Could anybody who recently reinstated their miles give me some advice?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by cattac; Jun 3, 2023 at 1:03 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 3, 2023, 5:46 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
You have to show some form of earn activity or pay to reinstate them. It is a small price for you to pay now that you matter something you did not matter before.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by cattac
Hi everyone,

Posting to see anybody has recent experiences with getting their expired miles reinstated lately?

My 150K miles were expired May 31st, and they required 10K reinstatement challenges. Different representatives gave me different answers. Flying partner flights and crediting Asia Miles doesn't work. One presentative said you have to transfer from two same-category partners (e.g. finance partners like Citi + AMEX). Another presentative said you have to EARN from two different-category partners (e.g. Marriott + Citi). She also said transferring points from hotel doesn't work. Instead I have to stay with the hotel. But this post (titled How to Reinstate Expiring Cathay Pacific Miles, sorry the system doesn't allow me to post url) I found online seemed to indicate transferring points from hotels does work.

I'm just super confused. Could anybody who recently reinstated their miles give me some advice?

Thanks a lot!
Hi I am also trying to get my expired miles from sept 2022 reinstated/ renewed. I had a flight last Aug 2022 that I canceled and thought the reposted miles would be extended for another year. And I just checked last month in June and realized that all my miles were gone. I chatted using whatsapp and the only thing I was offered was to pay to renew. They said the 2022 offer to renew expired and they do not have anything else. You mentioned the “10K reinstatement challenge”. Can you elaborate on what that is and if there is a link for it. Thank you
Old Jul 11, 2023, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teafortwo
Hi I am also trying to get my expired miles from sept 2022 reinstated/ renewed. I had a flight last Aug 2022 that I canceled and thought the reposted miles would be extended for another year. And I just checked last month in June and realized that all my miles were gone. I chatted using whatsapp and the only thing I was offered was to pay to renew. They said the 2022 offer to renew expired and they do not have anything else. You mentioned the “10K reinstatement challenge”. Can you elaborate on what that is and if there is a link for it. Thank you
Hi, I can elaborate on their offer since I just got the miles reinstated. They asked to request reinstatement challenge within 180 days of mileage expiration, and earn 10K miles through two different partners (e.g. one credit card points transfer + one hotel program points transfer) within 90 days (or 180 days? I forgot). If they didn't offer this to you it might be that you passed the 180 day time?
Old Jul 11, 2023, 8:48 pm

I took part in the 2022 offer of renewing the miles by transferring 30k from credit cards.

I only had 8000 miles that expired after that and Cathay claims I never registered for the offer, which I am 100% sure I did (I have no email proof etc). It’s only 8000 miles but still annoying.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by twonga
I took part in the 2022 offer of renewing the miles by transferring 30k from credit cards.

I only had 8000 miles that expired after that and Cathay claims I never registered for the offer, which I am 100% sure I did (I have no email proof etc). It’s only 8000 miles but still annoying.
Ah that is annoying. Sorry to hear that. You do kinda have to take their word for it - no official web page about the challenge, no email communication of activation or completion. You have to call multiple times to understand the rules and track the progress. All very tedious.. I wish the miles never expire
Old Jul 13, 2023, 9:21 pm

Hi, I can elaborate on their offer since I just got the miles reinstated. They asked to request reinstatement challenge within 180 days of mileage expiration, and earn 10K miles through two different partners (e.g. one credit card points transfer + one hotel program points transfer) within 90 days (or 180 days? I forgot). If they didn't offer this to you it might be that you passed the 180 day time?
Thank you for the reply. I just called this evening to ask if the “10K reinstatement challenge” was available to me but you were correct as the agent confirmed that it was only available if the miles expiration was within 180 days. She did however offer a reduced rate for the “miles renewal offer with a fee”. Instead of US$40 per 2000 miles it would be US$20 per 2000 miles. For 100k miles it would come out to $1000,and confirmed it would fall under the new activities based miles. I told her I would have to think about it and had her put the notation in my account for when I called back. Since Cathay will be devaluing mileage redemption rates in a few months on Oct 1, I am going to make sure I can use it before spending on the reinstatement fee. Interestingly, this reduced fee rate was not offered to me a few days ago when I chatted by whatsapp.though this agent said my previous whatsapp chat was noted in the account, perhaps not specifically the rate (ie $20 v. $40 per block). Hope this helps someone else.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
But this post (titled How to Reinstate Expiring Cathay Pacific Miles, sorry the system doesn't allow me to post url) I found online seemed to indicate transferring points from hotels does work.
I assume you were referring to https://www.pointswithacrew.com/how-...acific-miles/?

This was from 2 years ago, when travel was still heavily restricted, and even then CX had slightly different requirements each quarter. Of course, the same condition may not be applicable these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.