Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow early bag drop

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2023, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Heathrow early bag drop

Hi,
I wanted to quickly check if early check in is available at LHR for J pax departing on CX254 - can I drop off my bags in the morning when the check in counters are open for other departures?

Thank you in advance. ​​​​
Old Jun 1, 2023, 7:53 am
ffg

I tried this last week and I got an answer: 'NO'.

I went to LHR last week in the morning and attempted to drop off my bag for the 5 PM flight (holding a PEY ticket). Unfortunately, my request was rejected, and the staff said, 'We are currently checking the baggage for the current flight at noon. If you want to check your bag now, it will arrive at HKG with this flight, so it’s likely that you might lose it.'

This was just a one-time experience for me, so I'm not sure if it's their SOP or if I simply had no luck.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 10:37 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ffg

I went to LHR last week in the morning and attempted to drop off my bag for the 5 PM flight (holding a PEY ticket). Unfortunately, my request was rejected, and the staff said, 'We are currently checking the baggage for the current flight at noon. If you want to check your bag now, it will arrive at HKG with this flight, so it’s likely that you might lose it.'

This was just a one-time experience for me, so I'm not sure if it's their SOP or if I simply had no luck.
LHR BP yes Earliest check in time for CX138 SYD-HKG

But with bags, not sure.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 11:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by ffg

THAT sounds like particularly incompetent staff. whilst unusual, the system does allow them to check a bag for any flight that calendar day. the supervisor at LHR is actually very nice and knowledgable, i would have very politely (given its a favour) asked them for help.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 8:22 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Defiantly wrong information ffg - It would be perhaps interesting to know who you asked.

The below from Cathay web site:

LHR 'Early Bag Drop is available to our customers who are travelling on flights departing before 13:00 the following day. Customers travelling on these flights can drop their bags any time between 18:00-21:00 the night before travel'.25 May 2023
Old Jun 2, 2023, 9:55 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by oldchinahand
Defiantly wrong information ffg - It would be perhaps interesting to know who you asked.

LHR 'Early Bag Drop is available to our customers who are travelling on flights departing before 13:00 the following day. Customers travelling on these flights can drop their bags any time between 18:00-21:00 the night before travel'.25 May 2023
What about same day bag drop (eg AM for PM flight)?
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 3:14 am
ffg

Hey oldchinahand, I had no intention of spreading wrong information and was just sharing my personal experience while seeking some insights from fellows here. As I said before, 'This was just a one-time experience for me, so I'm not sure if it's their SOP or if I simply had no luck.'

Regarding your question about who I asked, I went to the business class check-in desk at LHR (CX GO with a PEY ticket) at 9:30 am and asked to drop my bags for the same-day 5 PM flight. I was rejected by a male staff member who told me what I've shared above. Additionally, the staff member told me to come back after 11 am to check my bags.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 3:35 am
ffg

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
THAT sounds like particularly incompetent staff. whilst unusual, the system does allow them to check a bag for any flight that calendar day. the supervisor at LHR is actually very nice and knowledgable, i would have very politely (given its a favour) asked them for help.
I appreciate your advice and will definitely try it next time
Old Jun 3, 2023, 6:45 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by ffg
the staff said, ' If you want to check your bag now, it will arrive at HKG with this flight, so it’s likely that you might lose it.'
Well that part is complete nonsense as the bag will not be going on a flight without you - unless the bag is delayed and you have already flown.
percysmith and moreismore like this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 6:09 pm
ffg

Originally Posted by :D!
Well that part is complete nonsense as the bag will not be going on a flight without you - unless the bag is delayed and you have already flown.
Gotcha. So the staff member fooled me, huh? That's interesting. Thanks for letting me know.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by ffg
Hey oldchinahand, I had no intention of spreading wrong information and was just sharing my personal experience while seeking some insights from fellows here. As I said before, 'This was just a one-time experience for me, so I'm not sure if it's their SOP or if I simply had no luck.'

Regarding your question about who I asked, I went to the business class check-in desk at LHR (CX GO with a PEY ticket) at 9:30 am and asked to drop my bags for the same-day 5 PM flight. I was rejected by a male staff member who told me what I've shared above. Additionally, the staff member told me to come back after 11 am to check my bags.
It never entered my head that you were spreading duff info -just pleased that I could offer some advise and interested who gave you wrong advise
Old Jun 4, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

Sorry, but where on CX website did you find this? I was only able to find it on https://naprepin.custhelp.com/app/an...before-you-fly, which is for BA flights.
percysmith likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:47 am

Is there Ernest but only posted on the 25 th May - sorry I dont have time to pinpoint it today but I am sure that you will find it.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Is there Ernest but only posted on the 25 th May - sorry I dont have time to pinpoint it today but I am sure that you will find it.
I don't quite understand the 25MAY part, and I don't find it. I think you might have a confusion between BA rule and CX rule?
percysmith likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 8:37 pm

No Confusion Ernest. The mentioned date was at the end of the announcement as I recall in a smaller font - what I posted was a copy and paste from CX site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.