Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is CX being cheap re seat assignments when redeeming their points on partner airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is CX being cheap re seat assignments when redeeming their points on partner airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2023, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by triplefives
Had the baggage problem with AA paid ticket on CX metal. Baggage was ambigious. CX insisted on charging me as they were playing by the AA rules according to them. AA said I could check in 3 bags per person as AA EXP + companion. Every indication is that CX was wrong but they insist they were followign the marketing carrier rules. CX stopped responding to my emails after I filed a DOT complaint which didn't get resolved.
I had this issue with an AA redemption on QR. The ticket itself does not spell out the baggage rules. Called AAdvantage multiple times and finally convinced them to re-issue the ticket and spell out the correct luggage allowance on the e ticket.

Last edited by zhaobao; Jun 17, 2023 at 2:57 am
Old Jun 16, 2023, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

So this is what I finally did. This xxx-DOH-HKG ticket costs HK$4450 to buy in N class. Using Asia Miles to redeem the flight cost 35,000 miles (similar to using QR, BA or AA miles) but the tax and surcharge came to HK$1,900 (I think CX charges fuel surcharge as if CX is operating the flights so the most expensive ? AA redemption would have been near HK$700 for taxes and fuel surcharge.) So I really saved only HK$2,550 with these 35,000 miles. Sounded stupid to begin with.

Then I realized that despite one of us with Oneworld Sapphire status, QR could not give us seat assignments in comfort+ / extra leg room for free. They were still trying to resolve it. At this point I no longer know whether this is a CX issue, QR issues, or just integration with Oneworld in general. Again, redemption on AA flying QR had no issues with seat assignments. Anyway, if I want those specific seats on the two flights, it would cost HK$517 on the first flight and HK$1,293 from DOH to HKG (the leased 777 aircraft from CX where there is premium economy seating). So using 35,000 miles to effectively save HK$750 sounds REALLY stupid at this point. I gave up thinking that QR can resolve this and have come to realize.. using CX miles in general is s rip off ha ha.

Decided to refund the CX redemption tickets (at a cost of theoretically 17,000 miles per ticket - hey in this day and age of devaluation, 17,000 miles is nothing), and just bought the tickets from QR.

Last edited by zhaobao; Jun 17, 2023 at 2:57 am
Old Jun 16, 2023, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
What do you mean? Y cabin or Y booking class? If you redeemed for Y cabin, of course it is in Y cabin. Y class is the highest booking class, so partner redemption tickets will NOT be in Y class.
Economy Cabin, but obviously booking in X class.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
What do you mean? Y cabin or Y booking class? If you redeemed for Y cabin, of course it is in Y cabin. Y class is the highest booking class, so partner redemption tickets will NOT be in Y class.
Originally Posted by zhaobao
Economy Cabin, but obviously booking in X class.
I just don't understand what you were trying to say in the sentence below.

Originally Posted by zhaobao
I have heard others mention that CX issued redemption tickets in Y for OneWorld airlines in general - no free assignment despite status.
DiamondMile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.