Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX J booking: Zeroed out in EF, not bookable in CX, but seats are open

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

What do this actually mean, that the J cabin is fully booked? But I believe that all J fares have free advance seat selections, and there are more open seats than occupied seats, which mean most passengers do not pre-select their seats in J?
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:52 am

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Typical CX indecisiveness but means that either they are going to cancel the flight / move around the timing or just temporarily blocking new bookings because they can’t decide which flights they want to operate or not….normal business as usual for CX for over 3 years now….just pray for the best outcome lol
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:09 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by boybi
What do this actually mean, that the J cabin is fully booked? But I believe that all J fares have free advance seat selections, and there are more open seats than occupied seats, which mean most passengers do not pre-select their seats in J?
And, one step further, as NomadAbroad writes: It's an indication, the flight will move 1-2 days forward or backward.

Closely monitor, and you might be the first one trying to book available availability on those alternative flights and may have luck.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 5:15 am
Original Poster

I was trying to change one sector of my flight, so I checked first with EF and saw that J seats for my flight is zeroed out, but a lot of seats are still open. Then tried to make a booking in CX and its not available. So I called CX, and was told the flight is fully booked.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 5:25 am

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by boybi
. So I called CX, and was told the flight is fully booked.
That is one of the many scripted answer they will give you (have had many variations of this from multiple CX bookings in the past year that got zeroed out for months before being officially cancelled by CX)…unfortunately nothing they can (or will) do for you until the flight is officially cancelled or rescheduled or unblocked…just a waiting game for now but wouldn’t hurt to start thinking of alternative flights for plan B
boybi likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:13 am

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
This is very evident on the Boston flights now. They show going to 3 a week starting with May. Yet EF is showing all flights zeroed out for May. I have friend that has fight in 3 weeks. Cathay tells him flights not cancelled, just booked full. Seems very unfair to people only 3 weeks out that will probably have to be scrambling for seats at last minute on who knows what day or time and from where. They won’t refund fare without penalty till flight officially cancelled. Really difficult to make plans flying CX .
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:32 am
Original Poster

And I was thinking CX is on a roll with most flights fully booked!
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by paullgo
This is very evident on the Boston flights now. They show going to 3 a week starting with May. Yet EF is showing all flights zeroed out for May. I have friend that has fight in 3 weeks. Cathay tells him flights not cancelled, just booked full. Seems very unfair to people only 3 weeks out that will probably have to be scrambling for seats at last minute on who knows what day or time and from where. They won’t refund fare without penalty till flight officially cancelled. Really difficult to make plans flying CX .
Yeah, one very important reason, I am quite hesitating to book CX flights, at the moment. Just the big mess they make of their rescheduling, over the back of the customer.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:02 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
How close is your flight to departure?

I've been there with cancelling (flex) and re-booking (essential) with CX after OLCI opened over Easter - "airport control". Only airport (or in my wife's case, Pier lounge) can release the seats we wanted (released in the cancellable).
Old Apr 11, 2023, 5:04 pm

Programs: AS AA
Originally Posted by paullgo
May schedule should be firm by now. If EF shows zero seat, it is indeed sold out. I checked a few days in May and saw only some days ex-BOS flights were zeroed out, but the corresponding inbound ex-HKG flights were still for sale.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Many flights are operating 'full' of course with the airline operating at 90% average loadings currently. according to published data.
Flights ex US are now very busy also..
Old Apr 11, 2023, 8:14 pm

CX selling Y seat to BOS at HKD34000 round trip for May. And HKD22000 round trip for Jun.

no wonder there is no need to add flights. Fly 3 times a week at this pricing is better than flying daily at HKD10000 fare.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Flights to Europe are very full too.
I believe that the 10% (100- 90 load) are mostly due to availability on regional flights that are used as feeder flights for longhaul. They need those for longhaul feeding. I am flying to SGN and flights have very low loads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.