Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Adding AA leg(s) to CX award itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2023, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Hi folks-

I'll start with the obligatory "sorry if this question has been thoroughly answered before", but I've searched six ways to Sunday and can't figure out what the actual policy is.

I recently found mid-December availability in U for MEL-LAX (all CX via HKG, 85k miles). I am based in Raleigh, so my goal is to add a domestic segment or segments onward from LAX to get home. My understanding is that, even though AA space does not display on the Cathay Pacific website, AA flights are bookable by calling Customer Care, provided they are saver fares visible to other award programs (Qantas, BA, etc). I found saver space in J (LAX-PHX, PHX-RDU), leaving the same day as my arrival at LAX, via the AA and Qantas websites and called Cathay to book.

At first I thought the agent was just confused; I led the conversation by expressing the intent to tack AA flights onto a CX itinerary, but I wanted to make sure the MEL-LAX space wasn't phantom space first, so she put me on hold to check that itinerary. When she returned, she wanted to go ahead with the MEL-LAX booking only. I reiterated that I wanted to tack on AA flights, if available, and I was told that I would have to make a separate award booking for AA legs. I asked why I couldn't include them with the original booking since AA is a partner, and she put me on hold again. Upon returning, I was informed that the space I had found on AA was unavailable, but I could call later if other award space opens up and edit the itinerary for a fee of $50 USD. I knew this was a possibility, so I thanked the agent for her time and just booked the MEL-LAX itinerary online.

During the payment process, my browser decided to have issues, so I started a live chat with Customer Care to fix the problem. At the end of the chat, I asked about the possibility of changing the itinerary to add a leg on AA should it become available. I was told, again, that this would have to be a separate award booking.

Instead of arguing, I figured I'd just come here and ask people probably more well-versed in Cathay's rules than their agents are. My assumption, based on what I've read, is that what I'm trying to do is within the standard rules for award itineraries, despite having to call Customer Care to complete the process. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Justin
Old Apr 2, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Donyoguy
Hi folks-

I found saver space in J (LAX-PHX, PHX-RDU), leaving the same day as my arrival at LAX, via the AA and Qantas websites, and called Cathay to book.
Well, my first suggestion is to book the MEL-HKG-LAX quickly. Otherwise, it will be gone.

Second, availability on AA and Qantas websites has nothing to do with availability using Asia Miles. AA may make it available to its own program (and QF's), but may not make it available to all Oneworld partners' programs.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Well, my first suggestion is to book the MEL-HKG-LAX quickly. Otherwise, it will be gone.

Second, availability on AA and Qantas websites has nothing to do with availability using Asia Miles. AA may make it available to its own program (and QF's), but may not make it available to all Oneworld partners' programs.
Thanks for the guidance on AA availability. That is extremely helpful and also contradictory to incorrect info I've scoured from elsewhere on the net. And yes, I immediately booked the MEL-LAX award ticket as soon as I got off the phone yesterday.

Do you know if I should be able to add AA flights onto my existing itinerary, should they become visible to Cathay ? Or were the support agents correct in telling me I would need to create a new booking to fly AA?
Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:19 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Donyoguy
Thanks for the guidance on AA availability. That is extremely helpful and also contradictory to incorrect info I've scoured from elsewhere on the net. And yes, I immediately booked the MEL-LAX award ticket as soon as I got off the phone yesterday.

Do you know if I should be able to add AA flights onto my existing itinerary, should they become visible to Cathay ? Or were the support agents correct in telling me I would need to create a new booking to fly AA?
Yes, in case availability shows up on the ENTIRE journey MEL-HKG-LAX-AAA, where AAA is your final destination, then you can certainly call CX and then revise your itinerary accordingly. However, I don't think that is very economical, because then you are looking at oneworld multicarrier award, which requires many more miles. See the details here: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-...ierawardschart.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:31 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Just to highlight/ the multi carrier award requires the itinerary to be a roundtrip.

For ‘Standard’ awards- only 2 sectors can be had on a oneway.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Just to highlight/ the multi carrier award requires the itinerary to be a roundtrip.

For ‘Standard’ awards- only 2 sectors can be had on a oneway.
As jagmeets correctly pointed out, the problem is you can only have 2 sectors per way for a one-way or round-trip redemption. Otherwise, for oneworld multi-carrier award, you can have more sectors, but you need to have 2 non-CX oneworld carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.