Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reopening of The Pier F, The Wing J

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:58 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
I saw it with my own eyes and was surprised hence my comment above that it might have been a mistake.
Yeah, I did have the same, though realized, "This can't be true". So, I wiped my eyes, carefully and slowly read again (without reloading the page). Then it became clear, there is only a one-word difference (IE "any" and "only"), with no difference in text layout, and my brain just tricked me, by just assuming all texts are the same, whereas, it wasn't.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by boybi
Isn't the QF lounge also open air?
Yes, and the revamped one seemingly also.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 1:40 am

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
At the Pier, the restricted zone for F and OW E's has no staff checking. Lot's of people getting in, no questions asked.
There are 4 tables to (apparently) dine a la carte but no staff on sight to take the order/hand the menu (no QR code or menu at the tables). There's a couple that sat 15 minutes ago and no one approached them.
I was not offered a different selection of beverages or anything other than the "reserved" seating space.
The entrance staff told me that we shouldn't expect the F lounge to open soon. She said "months".
Old Apr 24, 2023, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by tuchop
At the Pier, the restricted zone for F and OW E's has no staff checking. Lot's of people getting in, no questions asked.
There are 4 tables to (apparently) dine a la carte but no staff on sight to take the order/hand the menu (no QR code or menu at the tables). There's a couple that sat 15 minutes ago and no one approached them.
I was not offered a different selection of beverages or anything other than the "reserved" seating space.
The entrance staff told me that we shouldn't expect the F lounge to open soon. She said "months".
CX seems to be very short on staff, so probably made the trade-off between opening up Wing-J at the expense of F/DM/Em services in The Pier J.
tuchop likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 4:11 am

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Update: at 5.30pm someone showed up with the menu and some alcohol (Deutz 2009).
Old Apr 24, 2023, 5:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
The zone is only 'operational' after 5pm.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 7:18 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Very few of the HKG lounge staff are directly employed by the airline.
Also it is my understanding that 1000+ additional ground staff have been employed over the past six months.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cambo
CX seems to be very short on staff, so probably made the trade-off between opening up Wing-J at the expense of F/DM/Em services in The Pier J.
I can't see this staff shortage resolving quickly.

As with many travel, hospitality sector companies in Hong Kong and Macau they relied heavily on cheaper Filipino workers. Most of these were effectively deported during Covid with no recompense for the agency fees they had paid to get the jobs in the first place.

Meanwhile Canada has opened its doors to overseas workers. Significantly higher pay and quick access to permanent resident. I am aware of several very high end hotels who have lost a significant proprtion of long serving staff. And of course the UK has offered residency to many native Hong Kongers. It may take some time to train mainland Chinese to take the jobs as is the effective policy for the one nation.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Quick question - as a OWE (via BA Gold) on a transit flight between AU and UK on a OW airline, which lounges can i actually access?

The CX website suggests if you aren't going to the mainland you cant get to Wing F, only Wing J. Can i access Wing F now its open, from transitting thru?

Have read thru the above but still not clear on what lounges I would have access to on a OW flight through HKG with OWE status. I have AMEX CL access regardless, but would be keen to know which CX Lounges are applicable here/open (in early June onwards). Would be much appreciated!
Old Apr 26, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi, as a OWE on a OW airline transiting thru HKG from AU to UK, can i access the Wing F? I saw on the CX website it says only if you are going/from the mainland. Will i actually be able to get to the Wing F lounge, or only Wing J?

Keen to know which lounges apply in HKG, especially the CX ones, albeit open from 1st June when I fly thru. I understand the QF is open from May10th.

Also I am assuming no time-barring is in place in HKG (e.g. if you are trying to enter more than 3hrs before departure), as transitting between long haul flights. In LHR have been bounced from lounges as arrived 3+hrs before departure - which is annoying.

Have read thru the thread but still a bit confused as to state of play. Hoping someone can give me an answer on this, much appreciated!
Old Apr 26, 2023, 11:33 am

The reference on Mainland is outdated as it referred to the COVID days where the airport was divided to "clean" and "orange/covid" areas - that's no longer the case. Not sure why CX hasn't updated it yet...

As OWE travelling on OW (presume both legs are on OW carriers) you will have access to the Wing F.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
AMEX Platinum.
Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2023, 7:08 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
The above reference to Filipino workers being the mainstay of the tourism industry is frankly incorrect.
No workers were 'deported' from Hong Kong during the epidemic and the industry has never relied on 'cheap' imported workers from the Philippines.

There are some 150, 000 Filipino trained 'domestic helpers' in Hong Kong who's employment is governed by very strict laws an d contracts from both governments. These workers must 'live in' with their employer and cannot undertake outside employment.
These workers are paid about 4 times as much as they would earn in similar employment in the Philippines.
There are other special visas that are granted for specific employment and as with other special visas if the the visa expires or the holder is no longer employed for an extended period they would need to return home and re- apply if work is again available. Not many of these 'special' visas apply to the tourism industry but there would be some.

There are of course Filipinos a along with many other races employed in the tourist industry but they are employed on the same general terms as others .
There is as in many countries a 'legal minimum wage' in operation in Hong Kong
djsflynn and PaulC852 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 4:21 am
Original Poster

For what it's worth, here's another addition to the HKG loungescape for CX & Oneworld flyers: the Qantas Hong Kong Lounge is now in 'soft opening' mode, ahead of its official ribbon-cutting on Wednesday May 3 (not sure if there will be an actual rig red ribbon and an over-sized pair of novelty scissors, but I'd say a lion dance would be odd-ons).

The QF lounge is of course in the same wing of T1 as The Deck, indeed it backs onto it. Opening hours beyond the obvious window ahead of QF128's 7.40pm departure are not yet known. If anybody's keen to swing by and check it out, I'd love to head very first impressions (I'll be flying to HKG this weekend and attending the opening on Wednesday arvo).

Link: https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...ng-lounge-open
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by djsflynn
For what it's worth, here's another addition to the HKG loungescape for CX & Oneworld flyers: the Qantas Hong Kong Lounge is now in 'soft opening' mode, ahead of its official ribbon-cutting on Wednesday May 3 (not sure if there will be an actual rig red ribbon and an over-sized pair of novelty scissors, but I'd say a lion dance would be odd-ons).

The QF lounge is of course in the same wing of T1 as The Deck, indeed it backs onto it. Opening hours beyond the obvious window ahead of QF128's 7.40pm departure are not yet known. If anybody's keen to swing by and check it out, I'd love to head very first impressions (I'll be flying to HKG this weekend and attending the opening on Wednesday arvo).

Link: https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...ng-lounge-open
I​t would be great if you can comment and take photos of the food that will be served. ​​​​​​I was at the QF lounge in February 2020 and was disappointed with the food. I thought AMEX CL, CX J, and Plaza Premium all had better food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.