Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Award booking on nonexistent flight. What should I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award booking on nonexistent flight. What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2023, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Smile Award booking on nonexistent flight. What should I do?

I have two confirmed award seats in J for CX845 JFK-HKG Mar 31 2023 and C691 (HKG-SIN). However, the first leg of the trip doesn't seem to exist anymore (via regular booking engines)! March 25th looks like the last time CX845 is on the calendar, leaving CX843 the sole nonstop between JFK and HKG onwards. I booked directly with AsiaMiles, and have seats selected and everything. So from my end, everything looks completely normal!

Someone previously told me to just wait it out and that they would be adding more flights to the calendar, but we're rapidly approaching 2 months out. Would that really happen this close in? On a thread elsewhere I read that calling on the phone now would be useless since the flight hasn't technically been canceled yet, just "zeroed-out". So, should I trust the process and wait for them to rebook us on another flight in J hopefully soon? Or should I be taking some more proactive steps here?

Brand new to CX, first time flying with them, so I'm getting just a little nervous! Transferred from Amex MR, so it's not like I can try and scramble for last minute awards elsewhere now. I probably could, but I really don't want to have 170K "wasted" AsiaMiles sitting around that I have to figure out burn later. Anyway, thanks for any advice!

Last edited by smolakian; Jan 19, 2023 at 3:58 pm
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS AA
CX843 departs 90 minutes after CX845, and you would still have plenty of time to connect to CX691. Most likely CX will auto rebook you to CX843. When that happens, make sure CX has reissued the ticket with new flight number. Anyway, you booked with AsiaMiles, so any change should be taken care of smoothly.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 9:10 pm

It seems CX has not updated its summer schedules yet.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alamah
It seems CX has not updated its summer schedules yet.
Oh thanks. That's odd! Just curious...how do you know about it not being updated? And how can I tell once it is?
Old Jan 21, 2023, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by smolakian
Oh thanks. That's odd! Just curious...how do you know about it not being updated? And how can I tell once it is?
Because the fights to many destinations are less frequent in April than in February and March, which doesn’t make sense as CX is supposed to ramp up its capacity. I think they will update the schedules in due time..
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
HK has decided to reopen and mainland China to progressively reopen (tourists apparently not allowed yet, visa reissued for locals). Hence CX is progressively building up capacity. This is a painful process and they plan ahead progressively. For the summer season, they only have currently a conservative schedule that will be increased in the coming weeks.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alfrie
CX843 departs 90 minutes after CX845, and you would still have plenty of time to connect to CX691. Most likely CX will auto rebook you to CX843. When that happens, make sure CX has reissued the ticket with new flight number. Anyway, you booked with AsiaMiles, so any change should be taken care of smoothly.
That's exactly what happened! Got the email notification yesterday.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 8:02 pm

Programs: AS AA
Originally Posted by smolakian
That's exactly what happened! Got the email notification yesterday.
Good to know you are all set and good to go. So CX does not give much lead time to update schedule. My CX883 LAX-HKG in late June has been zeroed out for months and I am waiting for it to change to CX881. It looks like this may not happen until early May.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.